Florida Sand Fleas

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Philip Kuntz, Apr 30, 2007.

1. KimPossible

KimPossible Anyone can spread malicious lies about someone.

Oddometer:
    Anyone going to Daytona Speedway on March 10th to watch Supercross?
  2. RichardD

RichardD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes on the Supercross ! :thumb
  3. shocker4her

shocker4her When I am King

Oddometer:
    +1
  4. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    greetings from Tulsa, OK... riding your way in a few weeks depending on weather.
    hope to hook up and ride with a few of you folks in Florida
  5. JerryIUP

JerryIUP Team Wanker

Oddometer:
    Anyone riding Croom this Sunday? 3/11
  6. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:

Depending on when you get here, I'd be up for showing you around Ocala Natl Forest.

Make sure you have some knobs on your steed. There's a little bit of sand down here. :deal

Edit...

I noticed you have a couple of BMW motersickles (sorry, a little PUI here). Probably not the choice bike for riding ONF. You can do it but... it'll be a little bit of a challenge. :evil
  7. BigJohn_LP

BigJohn_LP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm down to tag along.
  8. scooterdad

scooterdad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    from a fellow Okie welcome! +1 to tag along as well
  9. Metalman

Metalman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Headed to Supercross this weekend!! . . . . catch ya next week buddy!!
  10. JerryIUP

JerryIUP Team Wanker

Oddometer:
    Kirk,

You and Cam have fun. And tell Frenchy beer drinking is good for rehabilitating that wrist!!!!

Jerry
  11. HuckFarley

HuckFarley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any meet ups to ride Ocala Sun. 3/11? Two snow fleas w/ Dr-z's and knobs need some tour guides since your fearless leader sold his bike. I've been out with some of you the last two bike weeks, but it's WAY more relaxing to follow the leader. Free lunch and sand newbie stupid human tricks included (ask anyone who went on my last Ocala ride) Thanks.
  12. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks... will be on R80G/S with Shinko 705 tires on. which is mostly street bias to get down there. knobs would not get far on the highway. would love to get a tour!

here's what rear tire looks like
    [​IMG]
  13. Dr.Z

Oddometer:

Can't make it tomorrow, mang! :cry

If you like, I can send you quite a bit of gpx tracks of ONF and ride what you like. :deal
  14. Dr.Z

Oddometer:

Shinko 705 at ONF = lots of thrills & spills unless you confine your riding to the hard pack dirt roads. I'm not saying it can't be done but you'll definitely be working your ass off.

I have a V-Strom 1000 with the same tires on it and, while you can ride some dirt with them, it gets pretty squirrely when you get into deep sand. :deal
  15. BigJohn_LP

BigJohn_LP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He graciously sent me plenty. It was pretty much awesomeness weekend b/c of him.

Thanks again Eloy. Sorry I missed this weekend. We'll get together soon though.
  16. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    got another set of tires on the way, don't know if they will make it on time. weather may turn terrible delaying trip. allowing time to mount ... what about Heindenau K-60?

what type of terrain does Ocala Natl Forest have? will be fully loaded in touring mode

[​IMG]
  17. Dr.Z

Oddometer:

You'll hit some deep, soft sand along the way somewhere. It's inevitable!

There are some hard packed roads but they are rather straight and boring. The Shinkos or Heidenaus are OK for that. If you want to hit the good stuff, you'll run into deep sand, water, mud, roots, downed trees, etc. :evil

From the first page of this thread...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4530212&postcount=1
  18. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    Big bikes + 50/50 tires + Ocala NF sugar sand = No fun
    AAMOF many 1st timers crash their airheads just coming in the driveway at the Scrub.
    [​IMG]

Even proper Full knobs can leave you pissing blood. Stick to the orange clay grades and you may be fine.
    [​IMG]
  19. HuckFarley

HuckFarley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We had a great time in Ocala today, no problems navigating. This winter I altered my GPS power cord with an SAE (battery tender style ) connector and had no power interuptions. We rode west from Wire Grass lot, past Big Scrub and down Road 18 to a boat launch. Once I was confident that it was easy to find my way back we just started hitting any routes we wanted. It was my first time there with only a group of two, so we just kicked around at our own pace. Best riding conditions out there after the rain, no dust and a lot of packed sand, and I only went around two puddles the whole day. Stopped back at the truck, then rode around another hour on some nice jeep roads adjacent to Wire Grass lot.Total milage in ONF was about 70, I still don't have sand legs back, my buddy was a newbie to sand and he did well, says he needs another day of courage gathering, as do I (last year's newbie dropped me off at the hospital on the way home!)
    Tomorrow we're going to explore north of 40 with a group of three and hit the flattrack race at Barberville on the way back to the beach. If any Fleas or tourists want to hook up I'll come up with a meeting time at Wire Grass lot. Meet up will be early though, 8 am cause we want to be at the race at 1pm.
  20. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK.. thanks for the link to typical trail action there. looks like light dirt bike with full on knobs is steed of choice. R80G/S weight 368 dry...+ 9 gal fuel = 450 ...fully loaded is pushing 485lb

if I drop the gear with 4 gal fuel .. weight under 400lb ... light for a dual sport, but still a pig