Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dirty Barber, Oct 18, 2008.

1. pengvisor

pengvisor weekend rider

Oddometer:
    Great, thanks for the info. I see that you got DRZ and KLX, cool. Since I want to be all over the place it will be a bit of pavement ride between the dirt. First time in Hawaii so I have no idea how much you can avoid paved roads and move around.
  2. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, it takes long stretches of highway to get to most of the trails but some do loop around on connect at the other end.
  3. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    As hiADV said, there is lot's of pavement between trails but the cool thing is if you plan ahead you can connect full dirt stuff with really cool and scenic backroads or jeep tracks. Gasser is a master of this skill on the eastern/southern side of the big island from Waimea around to Manuka. Google Earth is useful for planning purposes, one thing to be on the lookout for on the scenic routes is wet wooden bridges, you can be down on you knees in a jiffy if you're not careful.

What kind of bicycle? There's some great MTB riding here too!
  4. Gasser

Gasser Control crash rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  5. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
  6. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    <IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wPlqpLA8I7o" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Memorial Day Weekend
  7. Gasser

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Most riders like the dirt, I like to rock in the rocks.
  8. bikerchick22

bikerchick22 Riding in paradise

Oddometer:
    Aloha! This is Mommer's girlfriend with an update on riding in Maui (Hawaii). It has been awhile since Maui offered any type of dual sport bike rentals but now they are back. Yesterday we rode with Mike, the owner of Maui Moto Adventures. He's a great dude. He filled us in on what they offer and where they go on Maui. They have a full fleet of KTM's and KLR's and all the gear you will need to ride (so no need to make your suitcase heavier with your own gear). Check out their website or give him a call for all the details...
    Ask for Mike 808-419-8525
    mauimotoadventures.com
    mike@mauimotoadventures.com

Needless to say...Mommer and I will be trading in our sport bikes this week to get back to trail riding. :evil
  9. motogon

motogon Like wind

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to post ride report! I'm very interested. Will be on Maui in November.
  10. Gasser

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Old Rock Island Riders never die...we just keep on rolling on the rocks.

Vid> Stealth entrance to Jungle Trail 69.
  11. mommer

mommer bring on the world!!!!

Oddometer:
    yeah, what bikerchick22 said!! http://www.mauimotoadventures.com

man i good bike is hard to find on this lil island! anyone wanna send me a 400 class plated bike from the mainland just for fun? or better yet... anyone on any of the islands wanna sell off a trusty bike or two? :deal
  12. MikkSteel

MikkSteel Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm moving to an apartment in a few weeks and there may not be anywhere to park the DRZ. It just might be going up for sale at that point.
  13. mommer

Oddometer:
    mikk, pm me if you get to that point! i am still looking for me and my lil friend
  14. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    We did a Big Isle DS ride this evening, met up at the Hilo Municipal Golf Course at 5:15 and headed out to Stainback Hwy to ride the forest, then back north along Flume to Kaumana and into some more single track. "We'll be back early" is what I was told so I leave the Helmet Light at home.... After slapping on the tail and head lights, plate and switches to the 200 I link up at the designated time and am immediately ridiculed for not riding Sfront's 530. Oh well sukkahs on the 450s, we're riding tight single track aren't we (The 530 has too much Yank in these conditions for my skinny A$$!).

In the single track where we just crossed a "Floating" log, it's about 12" from the ground and 8-10 in diameter. One of the Hondas wouldn't start so we took a cool down break.

[​IMG]

Then on to Flume where the bridge was taken out about nine or ten years ago.

[​IMG]

By the time we got across Flume it was dark and raining (This is Hilo remember, wettest city in the USA) and as we pull up to the next section of trail one guy bails and the rest start putting on their Helmet Lights :huh. The single track was BRUTAL with a standard headlight, I hadn't been there in 3 1/2 years (When Sfront donated his license plate to the Trail Gawds) and didn't have a clue where we were. Wet, muddy, logs, stream crossings and a trail boss that got "Turned around" combined with a CRF450X and KTM 450EXC not wanting to start added to the Fun.

Looking forward to Sunday when we ride our normal stuff....
  15. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    OK, so there is Choke riding here on the Big Island a.k.a Hawaii Island as it's officially called. The issue is that your have to have permits, a plate, a property rich friend and or local knowledge to really enjoy it. HiAdv does rentals (Mahalo Bruddah!) and has significant local knowledge as far as I can telll but to check out the really awesome trails you need some connections.

We ride, on very special occasions, at a friend's ranch and last weekend was one of those times. T'was a mix of KTM's Beta's CR's and a GasGas, here are some of the shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Totally fun with a little bit of this thrown in....

[​IMG]
  16. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    Killer trails! Hopefully someday soon I'll pick up a more single track, gnarly trail worthy ride and be able to bust some bark with you guys. My bikes and rides are much more mellow... Just cruisin and exploring the easy access spots. Here's a few from yesterday... Kirk flew over from Oahu to ride BI for the day. Good times!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

my iPad using Tapatalk
  17. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Looks like the bottom of Mud Lane, there's some pretty gnarly single track off of there as well as the Cane Haul road, the entrances to them are not that clear but they're out there. Bald Kirk? PM me next time a ADVrider shows up, I'll drag a thumper out from under the wraps and join you. :freaky
  18. mommer

Oddometer:
    i have the want in me to come visit the big island! hard with one day weekends, but i will fight the good fight at work to make this possible! looks amazing!
  19. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    It's Hawg Heaven over here this weekend and Kauai has the Labor Day Hare n Hound, pretty much the most brutal race in the State these days, 59th running! Might have to go over for the 60th.
  20. mommer

Oddometer: