2010 Yamaha Tenere

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Belhamel, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Desert Hack

Desert Hack git 'r done

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    Tried a search or two on various threads/forums but to no avail. Just after some info on premium vs regular unleaded for my 2011 XT660Z. Planning to head across the Simpson Desert in about April or May 2013 with Oodnadatta as the last fuel stop. ( I am not really keen on going to Mt Dare for reasons previously mentioned by another inmate from Alice Springs on another thread and previous personal experience, when visiting in a 4x4) There is precious little PULP on the way via Marree, Oodnadatta etc. and Yamaha says use PULP. My question is, will ULP 91 effect the bike, other than maybe a drop in performance/economy, as opposed to ULP 95 or 98.
    I am happy to go read it for myself if someone has a suggestion as to where I might find this sort of info in the forums.
    I am pretty new to this forum thing so go easy on me please.
    Thanks for any advice you can give.

Cheers
    Desert Hack
  2. waalex

waalex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not had any problems running my tenere on standard unleaded. No pinging, and no noticeable drop in economy. When using opal I use about 15% more fuel, but still no pinging.
  3. Desert Hack

Desert Hack git 'r done

Oddometer:
    Thanks waalex. Have you run standard ULP for extended periods or just now and then when Premium is not available?
  4. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    I reckon that anything runs a little cooler on PULP but will still operate on ULP but not to the same efficiency. Back a few years ago a gang of us took bikes to Finke and filled up with Opal (including hi-tech BMW's etc), they ran fine, we just loaded up with PULP at Oodnadatta on the way back.
  5. shelbyjet

shelbyjet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode that area running local fuel, including opal, and had no issues nor performance or range degradation.

Will look at the previous post you mentioned, but go to Dalhousie Springs - that place is awesome after a long day on the pegs.
  6. Desert Hack

Desert Hack git 'r done

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feed back guys. Puts my mind in an easier place. Now to get on with the planning...........
  7. regie308

regie308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problems running with it...... but i noticed a definite difference in range, probably about 50kms less.
  8. barneyrubble

barneyrubble ?

Oddometer:
    Anyone running a single barrett pipe with the quiet insert in??

Haven't bothered putting mine yet and am curious if there is much of a performance difference between in and out.
  9. Desert Matt

Desert Matt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got the single Barrett with the spark arrestor fitted. Haven't tried it without the arrestor, apart from in the shed. Without it it was too loud for me. Power is nice with the arrestor fitted.
  10. Scotty4x4

Scotty4x4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i cant decide weither i should get the twin or single barret pipes.. does the single look alright in the bike or does it leave a odd looking hole where the old one used to be..
  11. Desert Matt

Desert Matt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The single looks fine. I got mine second hand, but i would have bought it new anyway. Cheaper, and just as effective. I think twin pipes should be left for twins or multis, or V8s.

I filled the 'hole' on the other side with a home made tool tube. See my photos a page or so back.
  12. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    Had an old mate take a slightly used 660 for a test ride today and when he got back they took his XR650 and a few bucks for it....he's laughing, and he's already shopping for some twin Leo's.

Re twin or single exhausts, sorry fella's but standing at the back of mine and looking at those cannons stirs something in my nether regions.....:evil Each to their own.
  13. Scotty4x4

Scotty4x4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's pretty much how I feel about the twins. But if I run single it gives me room to run a tool tube.
    So the choice come down to extra space and practical or pure twin sexyness.

Decisions...
  14. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    Everytime I make a decision based on practical or sexy, I become very unpractical........:evil
  15. barneyrubble

barneyrubble ?

Oddometer:
    I went for the single. Sounds great, looks good and has given me the space for my tool tube.
    [​IMG]
  16. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need to get a better sump guard, the yammy one isn't up to the job, it's starting to get a bit bent out of shape and it just doesn't cover enough.. (starting to get a few dings in the cases):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The B&B one looks reasonable... What other options are there?

17. OzJuJu

OzJuJu Team Barracuda

Oddometer:
    I looked at your rego and thought "that fucker stole my plates" then I realised it was a 7 and not a 5. You must have bought yours around the same time as me. At least yours still exists!:huh
  18. barneyrubble

barneyrubble ?

Oddometer:
    B&B one is a good choice if you want to use it in conjuction with SW Motech style crash bars. Touratech make one but as DRTrev will confirm doesn't fit with the bigger crash bars. I did look at the Gaurd-it version
    https://www.adventuremoto.com.au/popup_image.php?pID=377 with the built in smaller crash bars.

I'm happy with the B&B / SW Motech combo on mine.
    [​IMG]

Picked mine from Bridgelands about 15 months ago. Glad to see your Flinders experience hasn't quashed your sence of humour. Recovering OK?
  19. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great photo ! Thanks... It's good to see the B&B one covers the front of the water pump, I also like that it doesn't have cut-outs/slots, the rocks can skip off rather than catching on the edges...

:clap
  20. regie308

regie308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And remember.... a good way to cut down the engine noise thats reverberated back to the rider from these bash plates is get an off cut of marine carpet (with the rubber back) and stick it to the inside of the plate.... it makes a difference!! :1drink