Getting pulled in again. Do you feel passionate about your 650/Dakar?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Fastfwd, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Fastfwd

Fastfwd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I figured I'd abandon the idea of buying used after seeing a couple of 650s and Dakars that were in supposed excellent condition but were not. Also a lot of them sold for prices that are not very devaluated from new.

So I was waiting and hoping to get a new f800gs in 2008 if it comes out.

But just saw another ad... Dakar 2004 with only 14k km for 8k$ with side cases. Seems like too good a deal to pass up.

My only concern is that I want to feel passionnate about my bike and I'm not sure I can do that with a bike that only has 50hp.
  2. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Two words, Notrous Oxide.

Instant Love affiar! :rofl
  3. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    I imagine you have been there, but if not, check out F650.com to see how much folks love their bikes. TOns of info, want ads, maintenace, etc.

On a semi related note, it will be interesting to see if the F50s appreciate or depreciate if 800 GS models arrive.
  4. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love my DR250SE and its got about 17hp. I also love my TL1000S which has about 120hp (both rear wheel measurements). There's a lot more to a bike than how much hp it puts out. :deal
  5. Incabiker

Incabiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL, your emotions about this bike are all over the place. I remember you were excited as hell about the bike, then you were like, "Ahhh, I'll just wait" Now your back to being excited, lol. Just get the bike. Don't worry about the HP, I used to have a 1300 vtx, and the F650 has all the power I need, I do not miss any power of the VTX at all. Don't forget that all the GS 800 or whatever talk is still speculative, I'm sure they will release one, but who knows when? In case your wondering I have a F650, not the gs, and I think it handles wonderfully on gravel roads, dirt roads, etc... I don't ride this thing on ORV trails, I got the KLX for that. I guess I could do it with the F650, but it wouldn't be any fun to me.
  6. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    Passionate? Nah.. But if you want to take my F650GS, you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
  7. Fastfwd

Fastfwd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I definitely agree. Otherwise I'd just get another VFR. But I want a bike that will let me go offroad sometimes and the GS also has much better MPG... even the 1200gs which has comparable power to the VFR gets better MPG.

I guess I'll have to buy it, ride it and then decide if I feel passionate enough to keep it or sell and get an f800gs.
  8. Fastfwd

Fastfwd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have definitely gone through a lot of emotions while considering the 650,dakar,f800gs,1150 and 1200gs.

The 650 is cheapest, light and gets great MPG
    The Dakar is just a little more money, looks better to me but I'm not sure if I'd get used easily to the height.
    The f800gs if it is under 200kg and close to 85hp really is my dream bike
    The 1150 would be great for the highway but seems a bit heavy to try it offroad
    The 1200 is better since it's quite a bit lighter but it's also really expensive

So my first idea was to get the 1150 since I was mostly on the road. Then I was thinking about getting a 650/Dakar because it was cheaper. Then I decided to wait for the f800gs because the used market for the 650 was really bad. Now I guess I'm thinking that @8000$ for a 2004 Dakar with very low mileage I can probably ride it all remaining summer and sell it at same price or very small loss next spring if the f800gs comes out.
  9. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Four words .... wait for 690 Adventure :evil
  10. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's not just about the horsepower...I'm quite passionate about my DR200, and it only has about 12 hp.
  11. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, if you get it and don't like it you can always sell and go for something else:)

Oddly enough, I looked a viffer 800 for a commuter as it seemed the practical choice, but I just couldn't get exicted about it (and the poor fuel mileage bugged me, I mean come on honda - a 170hp GSXR1300 does better) and ended up on a TL1000S. 60k miles later I'm not bored with the bike:deal
  12. 4SEVEN3

4SEVEN3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive come off 2 oil-heads and several sportbikes and Im having a blast on my 650GS. Its got a TON of aftermarket support, and to me thats 1/2 the fun is buying shit for it!

Scam a ride at the BMW dealer, itll give you a real good idea of what it's like.:thumb