The Offical Pachaug Trail Thread

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by leonphelps, Aug 1, 2008.

?

Have you ridden Pachaug Trail before?

1. Yes

2. No

3. I have not but I want to!

4. I am scared to ride it....

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TURNERSVILLE

TURNERSVILLE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look at the videos on this thread and you should be able to get a rough idea of what to expect.
  2. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    As wet as it's been, it will be difficult without knobbies. Everyone going to Somers, CT on the 17th???
  3. TURNERSVILLE

TURNERSVILLE Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be there. From the Somers thread it seams like the sign-ups are picking up.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351786
  4. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    I'll be at Somers doing sweep crew work for the Adventure ride on my DR.
  5. leonphelps

leonphelps TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer:
    Here's a Pachaug Roll Chart that I made. Its not exact and may have some errors, so use at your own risk. Just look for the RED Netra arrows on the trees that mark the way, although some trails are not marked.

Pachaug Roll Chart

The roll chart may not be entirely correct and may contain errors, ride with a buddy and ride safe. Start/Finish is the Parking Lot on Spaulding Road and Down Road, Plainfield CT. Food and Gas available at mile 45. Total ride is approximately 60 miles. Entrance to Hero Section is in Pachuag State Forest on Ekonk Hill Road, Voluntown CT. Any errors or suggestions please email me at jbunceiii@gmail.com.
  6. TURNERSVILLE

TURNERSVILLE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again John!!

My KTM odometer has a broken button so I can't reset mileage. I am going to need someone to help with the chart this Sunday so hopefully one of you guys has a odometer. How many guys are in for the ride?
  7. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    :nod
  8. Hoots Magoon

Hoots Magoon Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer:
    Unless something happens, I'll be there.
  9. TURNERSVILLE

TURNERSVILLE Long timer

Oddometer:
    I count Dirty Joe and Hoots Magoon...anyone else coming tomorrow?
  10. leonphelps

Oddometer:
    How it go today? Any problems or confusion with the roll chart? Crashes? Or general funny things you NEED to share with us?:evil
  11. TURNERSVILLE

TURNERSVILLE Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was just Hoots Magoon and I today. Hoots caught a branch in the head that ended our journey early (he is okay..just a really bad headache). We made it to mile marker 15.9 "Total 30" before Hoots hit the pavement home and I back tracked to Spaulding Rd. (parking lot).

Pachaug stuff ---The puddles were all high. There were only a couple of times that we could go around them. Some were deep enough to give my engine a mud bath. Hoots had a spill or two (same spill spots as the Husky bike - the rocks right after the first bridge) and a funny rock climb. I lost a bolt to my handguard and Hoots lost a mirror ($$)---Hoots has some pics to share.

On my way back I ran into a pack of about 8 sweet KTM 2-strokes (all 07 & 08 models 250 to 300CC). Most of the guys riding were teens and one over 40 dude. They were riding a trail that started in West Coventry, RI that crossed the Pachaug trail around mile marker (13 to 15). They were from the same motorcycle club that ran the last "Thrill & Chill".

After running into the pack of KTMs I sped off like I was cool and hit a log in a deep puddle and went swimming (just out of their view :ricky). Got a nice deep thigh bruse and soaked everything I was wearing in some funky ass nasty mud. There were some other guys (XR 250, KTM 300, Suzuki smaller trail bike 250 CC?) doing a short 30 mile Pachaug run that took off just before we did.

The trails had all new red on white markers that made the roll chart less of a necessity.

The weather was great....want to ride again the last weekend of August (Labor Day weekend).
  12. Hoots Magoon

Hoots Magoon Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer:
    When I came into my house, my wife first words were "You have a concussion." This was before I told her about the hit to the head. I still have a headache, but I'll be fine. If you haven't ridden Pachaug, it is a must do. Turnersville is an excellent guide and when he decides to go again, don't hesitate in going with him. Thanks for a great ride. I apologize again for having to bail out early.

I'm still not sure how this happened, remember I bumped my head earlier. I had just came out of two mud holes, and popped on to dry loom and strait on to this rock.

[​IMG]

I had another spill just after the bridge close to North Shore Road. My mirror broke off, at this point my head was trobbing and I was spent.

[​IMG]
  13. leonphelps

Oddometer:
    Anyone up for a ride Wednesday 13th or Thursday 14th? I know its short notice and a weekday:(
  14. drewberg11

drewberg11 Andrew

Oddometer:
    Hey I was one of those guys on the ktm's. I was on the 08' 200 in the blue and orange ktm gear. Came back after the ride and finally found the website you mentioned. We left from my brothers friends backyard in western coventry, RI. I had absolutely no clue where we were most of the time. Just kind of following the leader. Had to ride about six miles of whoops on an old railroad line to get out their, that sucked. Turned out to be about a 45mile loop for us. Hopefully Ill be getting my bike registered and plated soon, we pretty much turned back after we talked to you because none of us had plates with us. After Im registered Ill have to join you guys for a ride out there to try some new trails. Their were 5 of us, a 41yr old, two 18 yr olds, my 16yr old brother and me at 21. I know, tough to tell age through the helmets, plus they're all short anyways. Do you have an address where you guys park so I can map quest it? Ill have to figure out how to get out their sometime soon. Should have my bike registered in just a few weeks, waiting for some money. All those guys except me are registered. Also does it have to be CT registration to ride those trails or is RI fine? Also Im assuming head and tail lights are required as well correct?
  15. leonphelps

Oddometer:
    Rhode Island plates are fine as long as its a street plate, not an ATV plate. The parking lot is at Spaulding Road and Dow Road, Plainfield CT. A link is posted at the beginning of this thread. I'd be more then happy to lead the pack when ever you guys get the plates squared away.

It's at the intersection of Spaulding and Dow Roads in Plainfield. Mapquest here: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/219+Spa...Plainfield+ct/
  16. drewberg11

drewberg11 Andrew

Oddometer:
    Thanks a bunch, it would be great to have you lead. Only about 30 minutes from my house. Also, headlights required as well?
  17. leonphelps

Oddometer:
    A headlight is good, its required for the street anyway. Better to have all the gear/equipment for when the DEP are out. Dont want to give them an excuse to screw with you.
  18. drewberg11

drewberg11 Andrew

Oddometer:
    Very true. Hopefully I can have everything squared away in a month or so (starting a new job soon). Until then Ill stick to some NETRA hare scrambes. Thanks agian jbunceiii Ill post up on here again when everythings all set.
  19. TURNERSVILLE

TURNERSVILLE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I spooked you guys about the plate. The Pachaug loop is about 20 odd miles of connector public paved roads to get to the 60 miles of trails. I have ridden the entire loop and it is worth the $$$$ to get your bike registered. jbunceiii and I are always up for a Pachaug ride if our schedules allow for it so let us know if/when you get a plate.

John - Can't make it this week. I can ride Moday, Friday and the weekends.
  20. banshee8989

banshee8989 AKA: Fartman

Oddometer:
    Glad you guys had fun out there :) Im the guy who went in the beginning of the summer and came home to find my wife in labor:eek1 ....... but we did do the whole loop:D :D .

Anyway the baby has put a damper on my riding this summer.... but I still would like to get out and do another patchaug run.........this year.