RTW on a thumper... Round the World ADVenturization

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Jul 18, 2012.

1. ferretface

ferretface Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike Paul! Looks a good choice. Lighter is always better.
    Ooona preguntaaa - are you still going to travel with 4 toolkits??

Hopefully see you in NZ :D
  2. IRIDE56

IRIDE56 Mike

Oddometer:
    I think Yamaha should buy you a brand new XT 660 with all the farkles
    With all the advertisement you did with the 660 you got a lot of American
    adventure riders lusting after that bike,
    And while I am at it Yamaha should finance your next two or three year trip...And while there at it put you on the pay roll , 100,000 a year to start..
    Ok I will put the whiskey down.... LOL
    Mike
  3. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    That was my first question for Paul when he came through here. Would you show me the tools you're packing? Then out come the tool rolls.

Impressive.
  4. Smithee

Smithee Head Bottle Washer

Oddometer:
    Too bad Yamaha doesn't sell the 660 in the States. Instead, we get the bloated, overweight Super Tenere. We now return you to your scheduled programming.
  5. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    i will be in touch for sure...when is the best time for me to be there, and i don't mean when the bar is open :freaky although that would be a big bonus for a long ride west

drop me a PM
  6. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    you can be my official spokesman with statements like that...anyone form yamaha reading??? if not anyone form KTM reading this?

you could be 'that guy' with one as mine will be going up for sale here very soon...the xt660z runs circles are around the super ten
  7. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    thanks Dan, i will hopefully reduce the tool kit weight down dramatically...for sure i'll be dropping in when you are in NZ

the KTM uses a smaller range of tools than the XT but as you know i like to be able to fix just about anything on the side of the road so some of my magic tools will have to come along
  8. DutchDreamer

DutchDreamer n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul,

EMI apparantly had the guts to block your last video, at least for Holland. They state the video contains EMI intellectual property. I do'nt know for other countries.

I really enjoyed your epic adventures and hope you will be on wheels again very soon.

Thanks and good luck!

DutchDreamer
  9. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    here's a link that you can see of the same video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dICJDXHcQE
  10. Eggroll

Eggroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like what you said and very much agree with you after riding in Thailand
    and Vietnam.

Eggroll
  11. Matt 82

Matt 82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread. Only just discovered it. Haven't managed to get through it yet so forgive me if my question has been discussed already.

Are you coming to Europe at all? We should have a spare room if you find yourself in central Scotland.
  12. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    any questions fire away...won't be in scotland for a few years, hopefully you are still around then
  13. daveburton

daveburton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic photos Paul and bought back good memories for the short part of the journey we were on with you.
  14. Dazzer

Dazzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But Leigh and I are taking Bet's to see in which country you post " I wish I was still on my XT660Z

We passed a few broken down KTM's in Russia... Siberia and Mongolia . Mind you KTM do send there parts out pretty fast. Which is more than can be said for Yamaha when we were trying to get a rear Wheel to Texas

You can shed a lot of weight off the Tenere. aftermarket wheels and hubs . single side exhaust and soft luggage and less of it. With the standard 23 lt tank you don't need to carry extra fuel even in Mongolia .
  15. AltRoute

AltRoute AltRoute

Oddometer:
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    trying to but there is some many negative uninformed people commenting it has become a debate, i guess i am making a precedent trying to get the first one sold and registered...we'll see
  17. AltRoute

AltRoute AltRoute

Oddometer:

I was reading the debate - but the funny part is - DAZZER from the UK is trying to sell his one - and he is getting the fence line lawyers giving there 2 1/2 cents of miss information too :lol3 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  18. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    seems most everyone on both classifieds is a genius but has no real world facts as this is a unique situation...

time will tell, it would be great to sell but i also have another nine bikes to sell as well, a truck and loads of other stuff...as soon as its gone i'm gone
  19. dvmweb

dvmweb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems I get to these reports late. You guys are great. Just finished following this epic journey. Very, very cool.

RTWPaul,
    Thank you for the most excellent adventure. Better than any book, magazine or movie. Real people, real travails, real guts. Well done.

I am still working, soon to retire, finishing up my time so to speak. Rhetorical: Why does it take near tragedy or significant life changes to make us see that what rtwdoug, rtwpaul, jdowns, TM, and others have done is what WE really want and should do?

Well, love it and thanks again.

BTW, if anyone needs a place to stay, work on your bike, or a beer while travelling through NE Lower peninsula of Michigan, yer welcome. Is there a thread for this?

Walt MI/USA
  20. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Tent Space List.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585