2-up? what's the appeal?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cba191, Oct 5, 2008.

1. seanred

seanred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have got it so right. +1000000000000
    With head sets even better.
  2. magoo

magoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You sure about that? :evil

If you find one that matching the description, feel free to pass it on.....
  3. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    :stupid I've asked my missus if she would like to do her motorcycle test, but no she says she's quite happy on the back. She's happy, I'm happy :D

Leeds UK to Dublin Ireland
    Leeds UK to Venice, Bologna, Grosseto, Rome :eek1, Sienna and Pisa Italy (honeymoon)
    Leeds UK to Invergarry, Loch Ness, Ben Nevis Scotland x2
    Leeds UK to Caen France

All 2 up :D :D :D :D :feelgood :ricky
  4. AceThumperPilot

AceThumperPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy Trails
    In my case I am glad that my wife loves to share my favorite hobby with me. She does take pics while we are riding the back roads and trails as both of my hands are busy. It is nice to have someone to share the really cool places with. I think it makes us closer as we share alot together and to us that is what a husband and wife do share interest together.
  5. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its definently a different kind of riding.
    2-up on a dirtbike or motard is pretty aweful but for the shortest distances. No, it isn't really fun for a back road blitz type of ride either, the bike doesn't handle well, and nobody wants to kill/maim their favorite girl.

But if you go to the other end of the motorycle spectrum, some of the big touring/sporttouring bikes hardly register the weight of a pillion. Its fun to bring someone else along sometimes.
  6. rich_mc

rich_mc Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer:
    +1.... Some of my favorite riding is with my lovely wife....

Killboy takes pics like this you can hang on your wall....

[​IMG]

When you ride 2-up to your own wedding, you know she's a keeper....

:raabia

[​IMG]
  7. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:

Yep, you pretty much got flamed!
  8. Squelch

Squelch Everyday People Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another advantage of riding two-up is that it calms me down, because I'm thinking about more than just my life on the line if I do something stupid. It definitely tends to bring my focus back on proper riding techniques. Even though there's someone talking in my ear sometimes, (we have an Autocom) I don't get as distracted thinking of stuff and daydreaming while I ride.

You obviously just haven't found the right pillion yet. My wife and I rode about 2500 miles two-up this summer, and she was awesome. I love her, and I love riding. Mix the two, and it's almost too good to be true... :clap
  9. fireboy

fireboy Not dead, just asleep...

Oddometer:
    Because if you want to, just give it some gas and she'll grab you like there's no tomorrow.... That's when things start to get good!

I have many good expieriences riding 2 up.:evil
  10. nvdlboy

nvdlboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Vancouver, BC (right beside the forest)
    hmmm, well my wife isn't interested in learning to ride nor does she want to ride pillion (some guy scared the heck out of her long before we met; mind you we'd been together for 18 years when I took up riding). She encourages me to go out and ride / travel with friends. We both have our own hobbies that keep us going, but I'm sure it would be lots of fun to take her on a tour. Having said all that, returning home safely from a ride is always cause to celebrate!! :wink:
  11. Dirtgeek

Dirtgeek Guest

my wife does not care for two up either. she insist i ride my own bike.

al:freaky
  12. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates

Oddometer:
    Because my g/f looks badass in gear. She's never ridden (though she wants to take the MSF), and if she got on a bike and we rode that way we'd be pretty limited in terrain, mileage, etc. She loves being on the back as she doesn't have to worry about the details and can just enjoy the ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    We likes Stunt Road.

<BR>
  14. NJ-GS

NJ-GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tedious, mindless conversation not required...nor possible.
  15. nostatic

Oddometer:
    Was introducted to Stunt (and the rest) by some Porsche guys who I knew online, then met in person. Then they bugged me to go to the track with my '79. Once hooked I quit canyon strafing started working on my licenses. 5 years and $70K or so later I retired from club racing and am back on 2-wheels for my fun. Much cheaper...but I just putt around in the twisties enjoying the ride rather than trying to go too fast.

Best of all the g/f loves to ride the twisties. Angeles Crest in the AM, then Malibu in the PM? No problem. 300 miles up through Hwy 33, Frazier Park, etc? No problem. Just gotta find the right woman...
  16. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can find a lady who likes to ride her own bike and can do so competently, then that is the way to go for sure. More fun for everyone involved IMO. My current best lady friend loves to pilot her own bike. Some people just do not have the right combination of motor skills or temperment to ride a motorcyle. For them two up is the only choice. Personally, I feel a little nervous riding two up because I don't want to be responsible for maming someone, which can happen no matter how good you are.
  17. RedShark

RedShark Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my wife interested in riding by packing her on my bimmer, and she enjoyed it to the point of getting her own bike and greatly enjoying it, but still sometimes preferred just being the passenger, like when the weather was bad, or she just wasn't feeling up to it. I never minded having her onboard, even when we'd click helmets occasionally.

God do I miss her.:cry
  18. nostatic

Oddometer:
    I went down on the freeway with my then-g/f on the back. We got off fairly lucky, and I was pretty horrified during and afterwards about it. When I got back on the bike after 1.5 years I told the present g/f that I wasn't really interested in doing 2-up. And she saw the pictures and the scars. I gave full disclosure and she still wanted to try it...and she loved it. I suppose I could say, "no" but I think her odds are better on the back of my bike than on her own. She's probably going to take the MSF and see how it goes.
  19. GSWayne

GSWayne Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    2-up is half the number of flat tires or other bike breakdowns (but you do lose the ability of one of you to ride for help)

The odds of two riders wanting to ride the same speed is pretty low.

It eliminates the problem of one person getting separated in traffic.

+1 to what Eyes Shut said, who has spent about 40,000 miles on the back of my bike (and who has a motorcycle license and had her own motorcycle, but didn't like riding it as much as riding pillion). Before we took up motorcycling, we spent about > 25 years on tandem bicycles together, so it was pretty natural for us to ride 2-up.
  20. Wind-venture

Wind-venture Banned

Oddometer:
    I like riding two up for the alternating chest and backrubs while driving thru some pretty cool roads. :thumb That and the way she hangs on tighter when we do some twisties :D