Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb Will keep updated here, as I figure out what is next. I certainly have a lifetime of stories to share!
  2. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Always seems to be a question. First. There is NO perfect motorcycle. On any big journey you can have problems. That is just life. (and BMW did the right thing, covered the full new engine and replacement even though it cost me some time. Cannot really ask for much more based on the situation) As far as the bike choice brand and model. It was overall a good choice for me, but personally I could have done it on almost any brand. BMW has a good worldwide network of dealers everywhere, that cannot be said for all other brands. I loved my time in India on the Royal Enfield, even with it's breakdowns.... Was simpler way to ride. When I get to SE asia for some riding, my plan is to get rent or buy a local small bike as it will be enough for those areas. in the end it is a matter of personal choice and there is no "right" answer.

As far as sequence or countries visited. hummm. Part of my adventure was just being out on the road exploring. I did not get to everyplace I though I would, but enjoyed everything I did experience. Again no right answer. My mid journey trip to India was high on my personal priority list, so flying there from South America was a bit of added costs, but for me, well worth it!! and I was able to put together the logistics to be there at the right weather time of year! Certainly would not be the most efficient way to do this.

Hope that answers your questions!
  3. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I forgot to ask you this Friday night.What did you do about motorcycle insurance in all the different countries ??.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Good Question. I did not have motorcycle insurance coverage, other than the Liability insurance that I bought in each country as needed.

US based insurance does not cover out of USA and Canada.
  5. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks , that's good to know.Was it expensive. ??.

6. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Really depended on country. For Example in Colombia it is called Soat an was $15 USD a month for medical and third party collision. Of course if you buy it at the border, you wonder what it would have covered.... But I know that the insurance paid for all the surgeries for Anne who was hit by a bus and broke her arm and leg. Did not cover her bike damage though.
  7. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for the info. !!.

8. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, what are you up to now a days Radioman ?
  9. lfs225

lfs225 Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.

Oddometer:
    Naples, Fl with a storage unit (house) Mo
    No one can argue that point. I've owned over 50 (not a large number considering my age and years I've been riding) and own five now. I still stop at every motorcycle shop and look and still read every review and wonder. Must be part of the fun.

But I can say.......ALL motorcycles have gotten considerable better over the years. And especially over the last ten years. My first enduro was on a 305 Honda Super Hawk. Got third overall. Couldn't do that today. :rofl

Thanks for your response.
  10. bruceo

bruceo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mark,

I enjoyed meeting and chatting with you at the Ride West event. I hope we get the chance to ride together someday! Good luck on your next chapter...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  11. hellboy7

hellboy7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WOW! The pictures are more than I expected... I'm still on page 171 right now of your report, looking forward to continue getting down and seeing more of your adventure!
  12. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for asking. Just settling back into my home, and am now starting to figure out what I will be doing next. This is a big mountain to climb after taking care of my wife for 5 years, then riding the world for 31 months. Have not been in the job market for over 20 years, so I need to do some serious reeducation on hiring practices and start to network for a new career path..... Will keep updated here as things start to happen.
  13. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    Good luck brother !!.

14. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Huh?!?

My son totaled his bike in the Yukon last summer. Insurance co paid 100 % plus some of the shipping back to Seattle.

My ins adjuster was great to deal with.

I'm confused now. Must have missed something.
  15. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Yukon is considered part of Canada isn't it...?
  16. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    YES !!.

17. Radioman

Oddometer:
    from wiki: Yukon[3] /ˈjuːkɒn/ is the westernmost and smallest of Canada's three federal territories
  18. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really admire you for what you have done, both for your wife and on your bike. I to am in the midst of a career change and have had to *shudder* enter the job market once again ! I have been self employed for the last 14 years so it was a massive shock to the system.

You sound like the sort of person who will make the most of any opportunity that comes along and I look forward to hearing how you go.

Blessings to you mate.

Aaron.
  19. Motor 1

Motor 1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read the entire story. WOW! :thumb
  20. Gramp-Z

Gramp-Z Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If someone from the US is riding into canada , talk to your agent ! Evidently not all insurance covers you . Had a buddy get in a wreck in BC and lost his truck because his insurance was no good . Both in 87' and 2010 I double checked with my agent and was covered . Also carried the insurance through S.P.O.T. , $100,000 worth of medical transport insurance for $10 or so . Air ambulance rates are a bit higher than a city cab .