DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. ago.xr

ago.xr il più lontano possibile

Oddometer:
    HI,
    As I wrote in the title, I'm looking for the original graphics of the DR 350s 1991 ( :clap ).

It would be great also if anyone could give me the files of the graphics...

This photo will help to let me be understood:

[​IMG]

does anyone could help me? :ear
  2. eb00la

eb00la Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In recent weeks my muffler is making a strange noise, best description I can come up with is it sounds like a secada is following me.

when standing idle I can def hear it coming from my muffler when I lay on the throttle. I assume it's a loose baffle rattling or crap just rattling around in there. I noticed that there are two bolts on the underside of the muffler. I've fond instructions for a KLR to remove those bolts, plug the exhaust pipe with a damp towel and let all the shit come flying out of the two removed bolts.

Anyone here ever do that, or read anything about that for the DR? I assume it would be the same, cant see why not. But I'm also the furthest thing from a mechanic and really have nfc what i'm talking about :lol3

well I've already got one bolt off and i'm workin on getting the other one off. So tell me NO soon if i'm not supposed too. If I dont get the message in time, I suppose it'll give me an excuse to replace the muffler with something.... a little more appealin to the eye and prolly run better.:rofl

thanks
    -e
  3. FlyingWman

FlyingWman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hope it went good for you! when i tried to take them out they would not budge. so i put a torch up to one and proceded to heat it and turn...ended up ripping out the whole insert into were the bolt screws in :(: . had to weld a new nut on to it to screw in to . was a good lesson :D
  4. RottenScummyTroll

RottenScummyTroll Traveler

Oddometer:
    Finally fixed the surging at highway speed.

I started undoing my jetting/carb changes one at a time to isolate the issue. When I noticed that leaning the jetting seemed to be making it run worse, :huh so I decided to go the other way and taped over the airbox cutout. Voila - no more surging.

Apparently, even given that I'm at somewhat high elevation here, the airbox mod required a bit more fuel than I'd thought from researching online. Here's what I ended up with:

Airbox cutout at 3x3
    145 main jet (it ran pretty good with a 142.5 too, but the plug didn't look any too rich so I went one bigger. I really don't like the idea of running lean.)
    40 pilot jet
    Air screw 1.5 turns out
    5 (!!) KLR needle shims (pretty thin little buggers, but that's still a pile of 'em).

Smooth running now, cruises at 70 no problem. Low end seems to still be good.

All this is temporary anyway till I can do the pumper carb, but I'm pretty happy with how it's going now. I sorta wish I'd ridden it stock a little more to get a feel for the power increase if any, though it does "seem" better.
  5. mudmantra

mudmantra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What front and rear sprockets are you using? I'm at sea level with the stock carburetor, it seemed to work best with a 138 main jet from a DJ kit and a 40 pilot. The needle must be aftermarket, because it has 6 grooves to set the clip in. I have it set in the 3rd groove from the top. it ran real good set up like that. I have a pumper carb now. 140 main jet and I believe a 40 idle jet. Needle is set in 4th goove from the top. I thought it was running lean, so i tried a 145 main jet. It ran strong but would fall off at 7500rpm in the higher gears. Went back to the 140 main jet and it runs strong to 8000 rpm and then starts to fall off in 5th or 6th. so i might try a 137.5 main jet next.
  6. eb00la

eb00la Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh I had a hell of a time getting those bots off, but they're off. Lots of love with a ratchet, lots of PB blaster and a big F'in rubber mallet :D
    but unfortunately it did nothing to resolve my problem, some stuff flew out, but the noise is still there....all it did is make me take MORE of my bike apart. heh, figured since I was elbow deep might as well jump all the way in. Gonna deal with the noise for as long as I can, then make the decision on a repair or new muffler. herm... decisions, decisions.
  7. mudmantra

mudmantra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might be worth it to try this. Call up kientech engineering and explain you problem, ask about the exhaust mod for the DR350. I think they cut the end off the muffler to do the mod anyway. Should be easy to weld up anything loose, if you let them know there's a rattle. Or if you deside to get a new muffler, don't throw it away, send it to me. I could use a stock modified muffler.:D
  8. eb00la

eb00la Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea I was gonna call them about it. I actually just ordered a jet/needle from them to redo my carb and air box next weekend. Will call back this week and ask about the muffler. I'm secretly hoping I have to ditch it so I have to get a new one, but we'll see about funds. As it it's lookin like a need a new header. Previous owner dropped it and seriously dented the first bend in the pipe. Checkin with a friend to see if we can pop it out, if not... it's only $$$. :bash
  9. TexasShadow

TexasShadow Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer:
    Question: A stock rear rack is currently on the DR350se ('96). The subframe has been removed (underneath the rear fender). The signals attach to the current rear rack. I don't see any places where the signals can be attached to the TurboCity rear rack (DR 350 Borrego Rack), nor do I have the part on my DR that is on the model DR on TC's webpage. Rather, that latter part is incorporated into the stock rear rack on my bike.

My question is, anyone run into this installing a TC rack on their 350se? And how did you attach turn signals to a TurboCity rack?

Current rear rack (sans signals) now:
    [​IMG]
  10. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    The turbbo city rack has tabs on it for the turn signals, just not in the pics they use. We have that rack on Meredith's bike.
  11. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    Do you by any slim chance have a photo? :wink: In TC's pdf on installation the rear part is referred to as 'frame loop'. That's what I don't have; instead my frame loop is incorporated into the entire rear rack assembly. My concern is stability of the TC rack. It has only one attachment point and that is near the front.

Comments? I'd sure appreciate some feedback on this rack before I purchase it.

BTW, I'd like to chat with you about the trails coalition. I'll pm you later.
  12. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like I just missed the pumper carb that was for sale a couple pages back. Anyone else got one?

Also, does anyone here know if Kientech is still selling the pumper kits? Their website has been updated and doesn't show them anymore. I'll be calling them tomorrow anyway, just curious if you guys know.
  13. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:

I just bought one 3 weeks ago.
  14. eb00la

eb00la Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if a header pipe for a dr350 will fit a DR350se?
  15. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's good to know. I was hoping they just forgot to list it on their website.

I guess it's worth asking, now that you've bought one, do you feel it was worth the $400? Would you do it again?
    I've got the cash, but I'm debating between selling the DR350 and picking up a XR600, or putting a pumper on the DR and keeping it. Nothing wrong with the DR, I just like more power!
  16. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:
    I don't know. I've never ridden the bike except the day I bought it 5 weeks ago.

I took it apart as soon as I got it home.

[​IMG]

I got the last piece of the puzzle this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope to have it all together by the weekend.
  17. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    Installed #l links, new Pro-Taper handlebar (new fender and grips not here yet and handguards won't fit -need different mounting system).

I took the new boy out for its maiden voyage yesterday, riding back county roads until sunset.
    Oh. My.

I had a blast. Handles like a charm even with full knobbies and torquey fun. Despite the skipping, sputtering and occasional coughing. Carb needs attention. But I know this thing and I are going to bond and be a pair quickly.

Let's go.
  18. Bob Onit

Bob Onit Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer:
    http://www.kientech.com/MikuniPumper.htm
  19. matloik

matloik kludge

Oddometer:
    Below is the transformation -- a mostly de-purplification -- of my '98 over the weekend.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

During:

[​IMG]
  20. ago.xr

ago.xr il più lontano possibile

Oddometer:

Hey guys....!
    I can't belive that anybody in this forum hasn't those graphics... have I to give up.... :cry ?