The KDX thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by gplassm, Aug 13, 2010.

1. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo a lo macho

Oddometer:
    You must have worked some magic...:thumb

2. GaryHarris

GaryHarris I bent my Flounder

Oddometer:
    I put stiffer springs on mine too, but it was a few years ago and I don't remember the rate. I think I got them from Fredette Racing.
  3. GaryHarris

Oddometer:
    And spent a hell of a lot of money. :eek1

Yea, but what the heck? It was a lot of fun. :wink:
  4. GaryHarris

Oddometer:
    I agree with kawagumbi. Not worth it.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1990-kawasaki-kdx200-kdx200e2-us/o/m3515#sch53120
  5. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo a lo macho

Oddometer:
    Nowadays most upgrade the front with KX USD forks.

6. GaryHarris

Oddometer:
    I started to do that and actually bought the KX forks and triple trees but never got around to it. I may still have them. But you would have to change out the front wheel. Dang it's been so long, but I think youll need the to change out the front wheel, calipers and disk to make it work.

IMO, unless your a hardcore KDX guy, it's not worth all that work and money.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/
  7. greendude

greendude Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    my 92
  8. Rcrx21

Rcrx21 06 KTM 950SM, 04 WR250F

Oddometer:
    My $800 KDX 220r

[​IMG]

add a $280 03 KX250F front end from Ebay

[​IMG]

I did spend other money on it that I wanted to (new bars, handguards, pipe guard and rad guards) but those things weren't needed, I just wanted them.
  9. kbob999

kbob999 Living the dream

Oddometer:
    Just got an 'E' series 200 ('91) with less than 500 original miles on it - seriously! http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19802521&postcount=2102
    I'm looking for a skid plate for it. Anyone have one from a parts bike they don't need?

Could also use an '89-'96 KX 125 kicker to build the lightweight 'hybrid' kicker; the aluminum brake pedal too, and a shift lever. These save a lot of weight!

.33 fork springs would be nice also. Or just let me know what you have, I can always use spares.
    PM or emall me.
  10. De250r

De250r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had an 04 220 very fun shouldn't of sold it. I have an 85 motor in a kx500 frame project going right now. My buddy had an 86 in high school and that thing was like an anvil couldn't kill. We thought we beat it. Then he sold it and the next owner thrashed it for like 5 seasons and it still ran like the day my buddy bought it. Unbelievable really.

Sent from the back woods of vt via patchy Internet
    Live free and ride hard
  11. TommyDuncan

TommyDuncan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 95 and I love it.

My buddy bought it at a storage auction but couldn't get it running right. I traded some 35" tires I got for free and $300 for it.

The bike was beat up... bent peg, leaking gas tank, cracked plastic.

I also noticed it still had the OEM pipe and sprockets... probably not ridden much.

It turns out the muffler broke off inside the silencer and as soon as it heated up it wouldn't rev past maybe 2500rpms.

Two years and about $1000 more and it's basically done... for now.

FMF woods pipe
    Like new stock silencer
    Clarke tank
    Ims pegs
    VF3 reeds
    Seat cover
    Late model front fender
    Maier MX style rear fender
    2004 KX500 forks
    CR high bars

Next:

Scott's stabilizer
    Stator rewire
    Baja Designs 8" halogen headlight
  12. fred400

fred400 n00b

Oddometer:
    OUt here in Africa, we are a bit slow when it comes to forum etiket, and may also have the tendency not to be to capable when it comes to using the search function, not to say I did not try, with no success, so here goes... I have been surfing the web to try and find a free download for a workshop manual for my 2006 KDX200. Does anybody have a link to where I can get hold of one. Looks like workshop manuals for the pre '94's are easy enough to find, but I have had no luck with the later models. Help???:huh
  13. RailwayRog

RailwayRog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. fred400

fred400 n00b

Oddometer:
    Many thanx, I will give it a go. The world has become a small place for sure.....
  15. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    I picked up an '01 220 this summer:
    [​IMG]

Great bike for the tight woods riding, but a big learning curve for me coming from a TE610. Had to learn how to use a clutch all over again.

Looking to dual sport mine just for connecting trails (will very seldom see any pavement). Any recommendations between the Sicass and Baja Designs kits?
  16. RailwayRog

RailwayRog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently bought an 06 200 with the dual sport kit included. The only thing I didn't like is that it is powered from a battery.
    So now I'm in the mist of rewinding the stator and installing a rectifier/regulator so I may charged the battery.
    Here is a good source for things kdx http://kdxrider.net/
  17. Hockeygod

Hockeygod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still have my 1989 KDX 200 (no battery involved.) 2nd owner - I bought it from the local dealership's owner (his personal bike) several months after he first took delivery, broke it in and had added a few mods: FMF pipe, silencer and pipe guard, bark busters, reeds, remapped the ignition and rejected it for our elevation. I added heavier fork springs and rear spring (from Fredette Racing) later as I got... older and heavier!

History: I rode it for two seasons and even raced it (cross country) a couple of times after purchase, before putting it into storage due to my career (moving around lots) until the mid 2000's. It started in only a half dozen kicks when I took her out for several rides around the farm - to teach my wife how to use a clutch on a KX 100 I bought for that purpose. (That's when I upgraded my suspension and installed a new drivetrain and rear tire.) I couldn't resist; I got insurance to take the 200 (and 100) out to the mountains a couple of times for fun.

Sadly, we put both bikes back into storage (we had two kids and moved into the city; 45 minutes from the farm and another 45+ minutes from the Provincial Forestry Reserve.) Last summer I had my 200 and 100 tuned up at the shop; I wasn't sure if I was going to sell one or both (a couple of friends ask me if they can buy them every year!) or keep them for future rides... The 200 only has about 2000 KM's on the odometer... so I put them back into storage where they still sit.

Performance: This 200 a great bike for the local mountains - double and single track. Lots of low end and the motor mods allowed me to loft the front wheel whenever needed. Much more low end torque (duh!) than my old RM 125 which I raced in the same area (cross country) back in the early 1980's. I had to get the old RM on the pipe to tackle most of the hills and in the scree and mud it just spun and that made for some interesting moments... probably made me a better rider in the long run. The 200 was far easier to ride in these enduro conditions but still let me go WFO if I got the revs up. Not a lot of wide open spaces in the mountains - it's mainly ups and downs - so top end isn't a priority for these conditions if you aren't racing. Slow to medium capabilities are critical in these situations and this lets one enjoy the scenery!

When I took her out from a 14 year old slumber and made the suspension changes, it didn't wallow anymore (obviously its better to adjust to ones weight.) Before, 'plush' was an understatement at trail speeds - funny how I was so much lighter (189) when I was a young 'un! Now I am 215 plus gas and gear. (I did the spring mods for this weight.) Now it is better when I plunk around or pick up the pace. Adding a KX fork sounds interesting, but my mods work for me and I won't be monkeying with anything else aside from replacing the bulbs in the headlight and tail light

Performance Aside KX 100: Stunned at how good the KX 100 was. Easy to pick it up and lift it over trees while the others had to bushwhack! The light weight was awesome (power to weight ratio) but it felt a bit nervous with the smallish wheels - it deflected from its line occasionally. Just had to take these things into account, including my speed and lower ground clearance, due to its soft suspension for my weight / rutted riding conditions and I felt a bit cramped as I am 6' tall. I really had to plan ahead and 'ride inspired' (on the pipe) at times to keep up to a former CDN #1 cross country pro and his brother, a former pro trials guy, but WOW, was it fun! Hmmm... this made me a better rider and was a fun challenge - gave me a much different perspective on 'the same old trails'. I found another link in this forum about a tall guy modding a KX 100 for single track: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770110
    Makes me wonder about what to do with mine?

Future: I hope to ride them both again someday with the family, but right now, its proving to be too tough to get out dirt biking with two young kids (a lack of time), no trailer and a truck kept at the farm for farm work, so who knows? Any free time I get this riding season, I will be all over my 640 (now that it is ready to go!) as I can maximize my time - I can ride it from my house! No point in spending 3+ hours of driving (total there and back) when I could be riding!

It's nice to know there is still a following of Kawi 200's and 220's. I am no economist, but I wish some more Japanese manufacturers (not just $$$ KTM and other $$$ Euros) would look at making some decent, simple yet 'current' off-road / dual-sport two-strokes (125, 200, 250) to give us more options... Can you imagine the additional riders the industry would gain long-term (repairs, parts, future bike purchases, etc.) if they made these at a decent price to capture a new market?
    2StrokesForever likes this.
  18. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread makes me want to dust off my neglected 2000 KDX 200 and take it for a spin, it has a 255 big bore kit, revloc clutch and more, with the DS bikes I have in the stable I just don't ride it much.

She is a lot of fun though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wibby (on left) loves his too, and has it well set up.

[​IMG]
  19. kbob999

kbob999 Living the dream

Oddometer:
    I've plated a few of these KDX's and the only changes were a brake light and rear switch, 9V horn, mirror and DOT tires. No 'kit' involved, and pretty darn cheap. your laws may vary, but it should be pretty close.
  20. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Thanks kbob - I decided today that will be the route I take. Only need it to look somewhat legal for the foretstry guys if they catch me on the gravel roads between trails.

Speaking of trails - got out today for some studded tire fun here in Alberta... loving the engine mods (RB carb/head) - really woke it up:
    [​IMG]