Best LED Aux Driving Lights (at a reasonable price)?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 15, 2012.

1. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why would you tie HIDs into the high beam? Does the delayed startup time affect the way you use them?
  2. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    There's no delay in startup. They come right on with the high beam.

(OK. Technically I know there's SOME delay in startup but its in milliseconds so it's not noticeable to my slow lizard brain.)

They're tied into the high beam so I don't fry the retinae of oncoming drivers. They go off when I click off my high beam.
  3. atgatt

atgatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dude, like, no way! :D

I own a 2005 Honda Shadow Aero. Put some clearwater glenda LED lights on last winter and they have been great.
  4. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm very happy with Sanjoh's advmonster lights. Good quality, good price, and excellent service after the sale. It's nice to have an active member on here that can answer any questions in a very timely manner.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:

Jim :brow
  6. schaffer40

schaffer40 I look lived in.....

Oddometer:
  7. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife's new car is HID only from the factory. Pull the lever back during the day to flash the high beam and the HIDs are on instantly, along with a mechanical 'clunk' as it moves the light to high beam. The HIDs that I have added to my bikes main headlights come on instantly. About two seconds later you can see it switch from startup, to main power, and it gets a bit brighter over the next 10 seconds as it warms up. But startup is very good and I may be converting my driving lights to HID soon. Biggest issue is that they aren't dimmable for running light use.
  8. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does a new high beam HID turn on when you hit the high beams? Or does the low beam just move? I've only ever seen the HID bulb move for high beams, because of the lag time for brightness. I'd imagine that the HID bulb moving is the mechanical clunk that you're hearing.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I had HID both high and low beam on my old GS. The high was fine. When flash to pass is initiated there is an initial surge that was way brighter than the stcok low beam. Then in a few seconds it got even brighter. The R1200GS has reflectors that are particularly suited to the HID bulb.

10. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    I bought their Bicycle light and never use it in the brightest mode... this is one awesome light and has been trouble free for a year now. nice stuff!!

11. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is one bulb. The clunk is either the bulb moving, or a shield moving.
    The point is that the manufacturer is OK with instantly turning on the HID from off, just to flash the high beam.
  12. SantaRosa

SantaRosa I'd rather be lost

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

27watt 9 led maybe a little too bright but they have 6 led units for less $

The top is driving bottom is flood. Better than most I've tried and I've tried several pricey ones. These run under $60 a pair usually and a Wire Harness off fleabay is under $20 so I would say this is low priced and build quality is excellent.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs...V-JEEP-Offroads-Boat-Worklight/533819858.html

[​IMG]
    Stop/Turn/Tail

Made a light bar for the rear using Whelens costs around a hundred on flebay but worth twice that.
    Wired it up like you would trailer lights and it works great. Very Back Offish
  13. Cycleman4

Cycleman4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. SantaRosa

Oddometer:
  15. moymurfs

moymurfs Truth has become unacceptable.

Oddometer:
  16. SantaRosa

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Yeah they are a good choice IMHO and provide a lot of attention per dollar.

Kind'a like go big so you can go home :D or at least find your way home :rofl
  17. Cycleman4

Cycleman4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I will get some up tonight.
  18. motomandan

motomandan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2012 Triple Black lights
    <!-- #dg-post-title --><!-- message -->Setup I have on my 2012 R1200GS Triple Black driving /flood lights . I programmed 1 Autoswitch for the LED driving lights to operate on the 1 long pulse. I programmed another Autoswitch to operate the LED flood lights with the 2 quick pulse method. I used Bosch relays to control the lights. Both are wired into a "Fuzeblock". to trigger the Autoswitch I am using the the Turn signal cancel button with the leds indicators located beside the switch. The top LED indicates status of top lights, Bottom indicator bottom lights. They can be controlled totally independant of each other. I used a "Posi-lock" to tap into the blue w/white tracer wire located at the ignition in the right handlebar bundle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Upper lights on (hard to see in pic)top indicator green. Lower lights off red
    [​IMG]
    Both lights on.
    [​IMG]
    Flood lights on
    [​IMG]
    Driving lights on.
    [​IMG]

All lights on including HID low beam
    10watt LED lights on top with driving light lens inserted.
    27 watt lower flood lights<!-- / message -->
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:

How good are the floods for distance, or the spots for spread? I kind of want both, but am more towards the spot. I don't want 4 lights though.

Thanks,

20. SantaRosa

Oddometer:
    Good questions. I sent a message to our friends in China to see if they have an answer and I will try to come up with something here. Any suggestions how I can simply demonstrate the results? I was thinking of finding a large warehouse building type on flat ground and use that. I'll measure the spread and distance of each.

[​IMG]