Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AntiHero, Jul 13, 2012.

1. NoSoup4U

NoSoup4U Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey AH, I am still following this blog since the beginning and your latest post was much appreciated as you, once again, bared your soul. By being so authentic you are making many of us better people. Which is ironic as you were turning strangers into better people while you were jaded about most of them. Funny how that works. I happen to believe that most people are trying to do their Best. That may not always shine through and it may often be considered sub par by others. Which is understandable since we all have different standards and often judge the world and others by those standards. But ultimately, we are all only running against ourselves. Have a peaceful holiday season and definitely hit me up when you're in Los Angeles.
  2. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratz on the new Apple! Awesome computers!
    Merry Festivus! LOL
  3. Col rides to france

Col rides to france Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anti Sir,

Many thanks for sharing, your journey. It has inspired me to get off my bum, and buy a new BMW G650GS.

I am planning 2 trips to Europe next year. Your item about 'Limbic Reset' really hit the spot.

All the very best from London UK.

Col.
  4. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    curious.......the only people i meet on my DR are either homeless and/or dirty.........interesting.....
    geoduch likes this.
  5. strom thingie

strom thingie Lost and Proud! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm just stumbling onto this R&R today. Wow. I know a lot of seriously hard core people in my line of work and you would rate up there in the top 10%. Great style of writing and attitude. If you do make it over to Europe, I have a room waiting for you. No super models in the garage but all my ladies know how to ride (except for that Russian bitch that keeps trying to kill me!).
  6. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Such tremendously motivating feedback, everyone. Keep the encouragement up and I may just quit my job and do something really stupid! :)

If there was a National Park of Hell, Death Valley would be it. In addition to a string of record temps (highest reliably reported temperature in the world, 134 °F (56.7 °C); highest mean 24 hour-period high, highest number of consecutive days/nights over 100 deg F (38 C), highest overnight low (107 F--at NIGHT!), it's the lowest and driest place in North America. But though it can get mercilessly hot, there are times of year where it's not--and there are some really high mountains you can escape to that, provided you are ok with some oxygen deprivation, are much cooler.

My love affair with Death Valley began in 2006. I was coming off of 6 years of being a workaholic. Our VP joked once that "our rep of the year is so pale because he arrives in the morning when it's dark and at night leaves when it's dark." (Wasn't an exaggeration.) I really enjoyed a good 4 years there. But the 5th and 6th wore on me. I was passionate about what I did....maybe you'd call it obsessed (or possessed). It was stressful, though. I'd often have dreams at the end of every quarter/year that typically required insanely frightening activities, like getting into company cars that were wired to blow up if we left in them and did not come back with a Purchase Order. (Instead of quitting I still got in the car). Ha! One dream the aforementioned VP (Barry Mainz) brought me into his office on Dec. 31st because I couldn't get a deal in in time. I explained what had happened, but it wasn't good enough. Instead of being terminated I was going to be executed. It was in the contract I had signed on the first day of work, so I was bound to it. Talk about a loyal employee....

But six years of suspended goals (auto racing notwithstanding) and six years of built-up adrenaline took a toll. I needed growth and exploration. I needed to see the exact opposite of a cubicle. I wanted struggle and excitement and fear. I began daydreaming about wandering through The Sahara—and then it hit me: DEATH VALLEY. One of the cruelest environments on earth was exactly the elixir I needed.

[​IMG]

It was a very sad time in my life and I suppose a trip to hell and back was proof I was still capable of sustaining myself. And hell I got!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What have we here?
    [​IMG]

Sandblasting (VIDEO)!
    [​IMG]
    duhrider likes this.
  7. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would love to go on and on about my experiences at this incredible place, but I don't want to threadjack my own thread, so I'll just drop a few more pics from previous trips as part of my public service announcement promoting the park. Just keep it to yourselves....don't want too many people showing up and ruining it all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My best impression of Michelle Kwan at the Racetrack (the rocks move on their 'own'):
    [​IMG]

My second time at DV (and my first marathon):
    [​IMG]

Ubehebe Crater (actually an ancient volcano). You can actually 'walk' down to the bottom, but getting back up is hard work in the soft, volcanic gravel/sand:
    [​IMG]

On your own:
    [​IMG]

Yes, it does snow in Death Valley:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good times:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the place is not merely an expansive desert of nothingness. (Crampons and Ice axes in DV? Yup.) And if you're lucky you might see Top Gun-style fighter-jet dogfights while up on Telescope Peak, as you gasp for oxygen at 11,000 feet.
    duhrider likes this.
  8. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost forgot--couple shots on the way to Death Valley:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    duhrider likes this.
  9. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unexpected (unfortunately they were going the opposite direction I was)....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thought this was pretty funny (I'm neither a Romney nor an Obama fan):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So sexy:
    [​IMG]

I most definitely didn't break any speed limits here:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    duhrider likes this.
  10. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

And finally!
    [​IMG]

Though I'd been to the park 5 or 6 times, I'd never made it to the Amargosa Opera House, so I booked a room at the attached motel and checked in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And what a room it was!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. lucati

lucati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    oh man what is that bug?
  12. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    just wow [​IMG]
  13. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Gordo tonto y contento.

Oddometer:
    San Diego, not Mex, but I can smell it from here.
    Sweet. at first glance, it looked like an Elk rack sticking out of that red pickup! I think it's just sticks.

Is the Grande Dame of the Amargosa Opera still alive? She had quite a life.
  14. jjmalone

jjmalone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    Amen brother. That is the best string of words I’ve ever seen put together for motorcycle buying advice. If it was just for transportation we’d be looking at scooters. Thanks for the thought, the wisdom and the effort put into this report.
    :clap
  15. rickrwh

rickrwh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. lurw

lurw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think this is my first post here, like many others I created an account just to be able to follow your thread.

It's become much more than just a thread, it's become an inspiration and a kind of "guidance" for many of us.

The last posts once again left me speechless. Beautiful beautiful pictures of the Panigale in the beloved Death Valley... I have been fortunate enough to visit it two times - that's a lot considering I'm Swiss. :D

I wish you all the best for what's to come, a happy new year and I'm so looking forward to your next post, Anti.

Thank you.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    From that link on feeding such a critter:
    Prey that cannot climb the sides of containers, like Eublaberus or Blaberus burrowing cockroaches, are preferable when feeding vinegaroons. Crickets work well especially if legs are removed to prevent jumping. Young can be fed wingless fruit flies or pinhead crickets.

Kinda' gives one an idea of what else may live in that room. :lol3
  18. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Will definitely incorporate Death Valley National park into my South West tour!
    So how much was that incredible room next to the opera house? LOL
  19. nadolski

nadolski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi AH, I feel like I know you. I have been reading this thread for the past week and finally caught up! You have a great writing style and what an adventure on so many levels! Thanks for sharing. Wish you the best in your travels.
  20. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Despite the less-than-spotless condition of the hotel, the Opera House blew my mind. For $5 you get a key, walk to the end of the motel, unlock a padlock and walk out of the desert into your own private world:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(As you can tell, I just love the theater, especially musicals.)
    [​IMG]
    duhrider likes this.