Robby Gordon 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by larryboy, Dec 9, 2012.

1. izom

izom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...yeah this vimeo vids are fantastic this year!! :clap
  2. Dekatria

Dekatria Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer:
    RG wins today's stage due to neutralisation after WP3 (CP1) :clap
  3. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

They sure are. He's definitely the fan's favorite, and he makes the best effort to put on a show for them.

As for him soft-pedalling it to stay under the radar of the ACO that seems an impossibility, Robby only knows WFO.
  4. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    Your argument how real racers handle rains involves NASCAR? Seriously?

:poser
  5. bajaboundmoto

bajaboundmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great videos!

Robbie brings so much to the event the ASO should be bending over (forward) to include him and want him to return.

Sure he's way gnarly driving, his show is THE best. Pitching it sideways on asphalt on a transfer, launching, driving like Robbie does, it's what fans love to see.

But that skatepark video and the one with all the people sitting on his Humbuggy or the video from a few years ago when they were driving while sitting on the roof of the Humbuggy.... You'd NEVER see another one of these other top drivers doing shit like that! Those other guys are too busy looking down their nose at you and the fans.
  6. avgas

avgas amateur

Oddometer:
    Wow, you're so hardcore. I assume you must be a dakar finisher, because surely you wouldn't be so foolish as to think you know what it's actually like without having done it.
  7. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lighten up Francis...
  8. Dekatria

Dekatria Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer:
    I agree with this. He just also gives the crowd an underdog to root for - the Hummer versus the cocky Mini-brigade. Along with his gung-ho, we're-here-to-boogy way of doing things it makes him a real treat to follow in Dakar.

The car competition surely wouldn't be half as interesting without him. I for one probably wouldn't be watching it anymore.
  9. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    call me francis, and i'll kill 'ya.....:wink:
  10. watrboy

watrboy Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Them was my fighting words as a kid. :rofl

Now I am very proud to be a distinguished older gentleman who rides dirt bikes with Francis as my middle name.

My how we change.
  11. El Cucuy

El Cucuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NASCAR isn't scheduled to pick up and move the entire stadium and all the race teams to another city 300 miles away by the next morning.
  12. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:

LOL...:roflyou and only a few others are probably the only ones that get that! That was a youth favorite, cult movie!
  13. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Accurate assessment coming from a keyboard racer.
  14. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
    Son of a bitch. Shit.
  15. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C6cxNR9ML8k" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

yep
  16. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    All this talk makes me want a hulkaburger:lol3

I wonder how a" heavily armed recreational vehicle" would do at dakar:D

[​IMG]

We are all showing our age!
  17. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Chicherit already has one. :rolleyes
  18. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    Well the whole scrutineering Pass then Un-pass last year and the "Talk" that other teams were holding out on ratting him out about it until the Hummer got within striking range makes me think that ASO takes his money and let's him play and bring in the fan base (slight US but crowd pleaser on the stages). I say play because it doesn't seem that they will actually ever let him win, though I wonder if that would all change if he could convince a manufacturer with a strong European presence, Ford comes to mind, to field a factory team of Pick Em Up Trucks or SUV "Look Alike" buggies.

I don't really watch Robby in the other disciplines he races but when it comes to Dakar I sure do, the "American Rebel" logo appeals to me, I've done the Planet Robby thing since the Monster days just for these two weeks.

GO Robby!!!
  19. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    The general public knows little of what really went down with Robby & the ASO or the FIA on his getting DQed. I do know that it was general knowledge in the bivouac that the other teams knew about "systems" down stream of the restrictor on his car, did the ASO overlook it and then the FIA stepped in when BMW blew the whistle? Water under the bridge. There is no ASO vs. American thing happening no matter what the fanatics blather about.

There was a Dakar race before Robby and there will be a Dakar race next year when he stays home to run his SST business. Excitable kids at a skate park is kewl, but do you really think it brings the ASO a measurable increase in revenue? Just like what we see in Baja when he shows up to race, lots of crowd excitement as he goes through contingency and everyone yells and yea hoos when he races by, but those people are there even when he's not racing. Ever see the turn out for WRC in Argentina?? They have to cancel special stages because the crowds are too large.
  20. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    Can't say I have, only in Europe.

I guess I get caught up in the Thrilla in Manila type hype he brings... Pulls me in every time...

[​IMG]

That's not to say he's not a Top Drawer Performance, upper stuff is covered with Riff Raff, Neduro, and various parts, jet kit, steering damper, suspension stickers....