SNAKES on a bike

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Escapegoat, Oct 10, 2007.

1. limbo63

limbo63 Simple

Oddometer:
    spider: looks like a funnel-web but... them buggers attack like pitbulls and that one seems to be placid.. may have been a bit cool so he slowed down

western trapdoor is a sub species of funnel web and is a light tan sorta colour and much more streamlined than most funnelwebs. western trapdoor doesn't go far from hole, is very shy. not fullon agressive as a regular trapdoor

so it's probably a mouse spider. but don't touch the bugger using my info as a reference.
  2. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    Ok Folks

Hope you have digested dinner:evil

Thanks to a mate in WA, these photo's were taken in the far northern Pilbara region of WA.

I assumed that the goanna was cleaned up by a vehicle on the road and the python happen to come along, I don't think the python would be able to take on a large live gonana, but I may be wrong.

BTW it took 5 hours for the snake to digest its dinner, and the thoughtfull people put up accident warning signs so that it wasn't run over by passing traffic:lol3

Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Going
    [​IMG]

Almost gone

[​IMG]

Gone Burp!!

[​IMG]
  3. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    Crikey, make you feel glad to be close to the top of the food chain.
  4. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    I'm thinking one hell of a stomack ache after that meal ..... not sure the usual hour on the sofa will cure it :lol3
  5. Thumpstress

Thumpstress Gone to Paradise

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate...i think he is a SHE after doing my homework and best bet it is a funnelweb as theres alot here with the tell tale webs under birdsnest ferns...just never saw them come out nor be sticking my melon closer for inspection.
    She did actually rear up on her back legs and went agro when i got her locked onto a stick and flung her into the creek for a whitewater raft ride. Didn't want to trod on her whilst planting the matt rush in amongst the rocks.
    The mouse spiders have smaller bodies/tails so than the head area so that rules them out.
    Cheers Thumpy :thumb
  6. Dave Ward

Dave Ward I don't even know where the box is.

Oddometer:
    Ha! Scared off by a cat?

This pic (captioned "Smokie swings") is a classic! A very useful snake.
    [​IMG]
  7. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    I'll say...! It's cleaned up a mop, a dustpan and brush and a feather duster... as well as a "moggy"... all in the one week! :huh
  8. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3

All I can say is that cat must have been a heavy sleeper ....
  9. SLAB

SLAB Scared of heights

Oddometer:
    Snake.JPG
  10. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  11. jfn68

jfn68 Banned

Oddometer:
    This big fella was sunning himself just a few kms from "glenhaughton" station in the expedition range

[​IMG]
  12. jfn68

jfn68 Banned

Oddometer:
    After about 10 minutes he just slithered up into the bush and disolved into the scrub
    [​IMG]
  13. GhostRiderFromHell

GhostRiderFromHell Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Where was this taken mate? I'd say a breed of carpet python depending on the location.
  14. jfn68

jfn68 Banned

Oddometer:
    Ghostriderfromhell,area north of taroom qld in the expedition range region.Photos dont do it justice size wise,i estimate 10ft with 1.25 coke bottle size girth.....nice big heathy snake!
  15. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    <BURP!>

:lol3

He just finished the buffet ...
  16. Louv

Louv nerd with knobbies

Oddometer:
    Awww, great... I just read this entire thread, and now I'm never leaving the house again. Thanks, guys.

Oh, wait, then there was the 5 snakes in the roof... craptastic... can't live here, can't move...

:dunno
  17. GSGeoff

GSGeoff Get out and ride it!

Oddometer:
    Went on a trip in Tasmania with the Brother in Law and on the first day heading towards and going down the Western Explorer we passed three in the middle of the dirt road along the way. A brown, a taipan and one other I couldnt identify (golden bugger).

Then when we were looking for a campsite and headed down a little used track and a big black bugger was in the middle of a pretty heavily grassed bit of track so we gunned it a hundred metres or so to find an impassable section which had a big a$$ed beehive waiting for us so we had to turn around and go back through the section with the black snake again. Its not much fun riding with your legs raised up to nearly the handlebars...

Then when we hit the north east coast the snake fun started again and I almost put the bike down (a 1200GS with gear) in a sandy section right on top of a brown. Needless to say I am glad I took a spare change of undies... Never seen so many snakes in one trip as in Tassie!:eek1

"This big fella was sunning himself just a few kms from "glenhaughton" station in the expedition range" - Damn Jfn that one looks like you could saddle it and sell rides!
  18. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    There was a couple of very nasty looking snakes on rove last night.:rofl
  19. WestOzKLX

WestOzKLX Elsie with Allspeeds

Oddometer:
    Show us what you've got. Description, location and species if you got close enough to find out.:wink:

Last weekend, missed his head by about a foot, lucky F$%kr. Ridley Road, Sate Forest, WA. Python I think, about 6 foot head to tail.

[​IMG]
  20. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Theres already a big thread on this, its called Snakes on a bike, search it up, lots of good pics!:deal