Dumb question: Can I ride my motorbike to Leechtown (Vancouver Island)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Christopher Lang, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Christopher Lang

Christopher Lang Luddite

Oddometer:
    Now, I'm sure this is a dumb question, but there it is. I wanna drive my sidecar machine up to Leechtown. I know I can walk there, but it seems like an interesting destination (I realize that there isn't much there). I took a quick glance at my backroads map and drove out there today, and of course found locked gates on the Boneyard Main road, and from the Pot Holes. It was a nice ride out to Sooke anyway of course.

Is there a way to drive my bike there? Or Somewhere else where I can see rusty broken-down junk after driving down gravel? I can't go around gates, as the bike is 5' 6" wide.

I ask not just 'cause I'm curious, but because I'm gonna sell my Chang, and then I'll be with out a bike for a while, until I get my WLC going and I figured this would be an entertaining little trip.

Thanks in advance ADV'ers.
  2. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    My backroads mapbook says you should be able to get there if you take the logging road off Sooke hwy, less than 1km after the Humpback rd. exit, when you're heading west. At least, it says there's no gates. I haven't checked it out for myself. This exit is far earlier (further east) than Boneyard or the Sooke Potholes way. Google maps says its called Suyer rd.
  3. V@lentino

V@lentino V@lentino Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have gone with the GSA on the Galloping Goose from the end of the Pot Holes park, although I don't think you are supposed to, this was in the winter and I did not cross path with anyone, I would not recommend doing it this time of the year.

When you get to Leech Town there is only a sign saying it was there and 1 old rusted crane/extractor machine thing, nothing else, really not much to see.

I live in Sooke and would rather ride to East-Sooke anytime over riding up to Leech Town again.

Really nothing there
  4. Christopher Lang

Christopher Lang Luddite

Oddometer:
    Okay thanks. I see that road by Humpback Rd. If I get a chance to get out there again before my bike sells I'll try it that way. At any rate the 'ol WLC should be on the road by september or so, and I'll give it another go then.

Thanks for your replies.
  5. 00Buck

00Buck dirt rules

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately Leechtown is no longer accessible by motorcycle (legally). A combination of private logging lands and closed CRD water district areas have ended all that. All the roads are gated including the Weeks Lake road from the north side. However, if you can get a prospectors license, access is allowed in some areas.
  6. Dobs

Dobs n00b

Oddometer:
    Noticed the gate was open this past week. I rode my KLR up there to ask someone if I could ride up there. I didn't find anyone, so after taking a rest break (and a bit of a walk around), I dutifully rode back down the boneyard road. I will say, hard to believe 4,000 people once lived there, great feeling to the place. Very cool for me though. Enjoy those roads and respectfully seek out new rides on the southern island.
  7. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Locked gates are ruining access on Vancouver Island.
  8. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    locked gates save lives.:puke1
  9. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything.

Oddometer:
    I don't even have a life .........

Uh, wait......

:lol3
  10. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I am glad I moved away from SVI, would miss the old days when we could go just about anywhere and find plenty of garbage illegally dumped and often half burned,wrecked abandoned cars ,mattresses and TVs, propane tanks with bullet holes in them and way too many shotgun shells. Yep been on the Sooke back roads a lot.:wink:
  11. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:

Cool story, glad the Koots is immune to litter.
  12. Dobs

Dobs n00b

Oddometer:
    I understand the need for the gates, I saw enough garbage near the entrance to yet again wonder at those who share the title, "civilized", but for the rest of us who like myself desire to explore with respect... well...

As for KLR's getting there, dunno. I love mine and although she's loaded with kit and sporting a 16T front sprocket, I still manage to be impressed by where I can go.
  13. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Not immune...but not as bad. Mind you I have cleaned up the end of the road here a couple times. A few more tires, I'll have to sneak them in at the dump, not paying for that.:wink:

Isn't that why they gated the watershed at Langford? so the kids wouldn't joyride and then dump the junkers in the lake.I seem to remember that...:eek1
  14. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:

Probably has a lot to do with it, with a population that size there's bound to be a few idiots.
  15. Dobs

Dobs n00b

Oddometer:
    Dunno about that Jack, I wave to everyone; even a dude on a scooter the other day, why not eh? :huh

As for the KLR love, maybe its because they're cheap? Maybe its because they're simple, easy to work on? Maybe it's because of their range, load, durability or reliability? Maybe its due to the array of farkles? Honestly, not too sure why? :wink:
  16. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's because they're cheap.
  17. OurBC

OurBC Live to Travel

Oddometer:
    Does this look familar?

[​IMG]
    Rayman
  18. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get lots of waves from KLRs on my GSA.
  19. Dobs

Dobs n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep, there's always that. A shame they aren't more expensive really. Kawasaki should raise their prices; fewer of them on the road wouldn't be so bad eh. :freaky
  20. Link7373

Link7373 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Resurrecting an old thread here, but I didn't get the feeling that there was a clear answer. I would also like to ride up to Leechtown some time in the next month or two with my sidecar, but I'd hate to spend an afternoon riding down dead-ends and gated roads.

Has anyone made it up to Leechtown lately? What route did you take? What are the road conditions and is there room enough for a sidecar to make it up?

And if there is absolutely no way to do it, can anyone recommend an alternative afternoon ride somewhere remote/historical/unique?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD