XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. jungleplant

jungleplant www.manracks.com mike@manracks.com

Oddometer:
    I think you will find these guys have a great deal of taste and a since of humor that is sick , just my kind :rofl
    you have already displayed both things by coming over here so welcome 103 :deal
  2. Rider11x

Rider11x Resident Hillbilly

Oddometer:
    I just installed my Shinko 705's and they are a great tire so far. I ride 90% asphalt and gravel / dirt roads now and then. They have been great. Seem long wearing. I wore out the stock rear tw in 700 miles. Also I bought a block off kit but decided not to use it. I see no real gain in doing it so I didn't. I like it very stock motor wise. Just rejetted a 55/ 155 and a titanium needle to keep it cool. Never seems to go over 240° in the slow going dirt roads and 225° on long road trips. Welcome to Xrl territory. I wouldn't rather have any other bike out there.
  3. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3.........
  4. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D
    Damn I love those cheap Shinko 244's they wear well and stick like glue in the twisties....:D
  5. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I send you some pics of your new motor can you post em????
    I'm to lazy to get a baldy account.:lol3
  6. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your bike looks like one of mine but I have the manracks front and rear on mine and love em........I use the front rack for my camping gear and sleeping bag.
  7. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    You betcha! :clap :bow
  8. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    After cleaning the already clean looking carb and putting it back in, I got quite the surprise as my top speed was 83mph at full throttle twist on the freeway. With a 300lb rider and running Kenda 760's, I'm not sure if I can get much more than that (but would like another 10mph if possible! lol) Better than the 65 max I was getting.

What made the ride more interesting was once I got up to speed, I realized I forgot to bolt my seat down. Of course I left the tools and the bolts at home. Made for an interesting ride.
  9. screamin injin

screamin injin FUBAR

Oddometer:
    I took mine apart, cleaned thoroughly, even the bar. Sprayed some silicon down the cables and it's like new! Whatever lube was in there originally was pretty gummed up.
  10. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

Not like your seat had a chance to go any where with you on board...:lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  11. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    It did slide around a tad which made me panic :D

I had the strap on it, but it was only finger tight. :rofl
  12. junkyardroad

junkyardroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tick ! decompressor question

I have completed my rebuild with a CW BFH and piston, and have a question.

First though, oil pressure verified, valves adjusted and readjusted methodically.

Upon startup there was a noticeable tick in the upper valvetrain. I rode the bike 2/10ths of a mile, good power, no performance problems, ticking ever present.

I pulled the left side case caps, put the mark on T, then rotate the engine counterclockwise with a 17 mm on a short breaker bar. At slightly more than 270 deg, (about 2 o clock) there is an audible snap, and I can see the right rocker move. This happens every other rotation, no adjustments make any difference.

I believe the decompressor is the problem. It came installed, I ass u me d all was well, it's not. I really see no choice in removing the cam, but don't know what to look for that would cause this.

Ideas appreciated.
  13. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    are u adjusting the exhaust before or after the click?
  14. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've experienced much the same thing, it had me worried for a while...

I've recently done a rebuild and noticed a ticking when I first started it back up, it wasn't a loud or bad sounding tick, just not what I would consider normal with the valves adjusted right... It wasn't the normal noise the decompressor makes when cold (my decompressor has always been bit rattly when cold, I think it's normal)... I re-check the oil flow and valve clearances, they were fine...

After taking it for a decent ride the tick went away and hasn't returned.... I've since done 500km without an issue... I'm still not sure what caused the tick...

The decompressor operation you describe with the snap is the same as what I observed... I "believe" it's normal...
  15. 103M 95G

103M 95G Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys, this is going to be a fun ride.:loaded
  16. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    Yes the click is normal.. but yoyu have to set that valve in the right spot.. cant remember if its before or after ..
  17. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After.

And if you miss it you can't back up, need to go around again
  18. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    +1... I learned the hard way...

-Barron
  19. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    I've got the scorpions on mine and they are great, they grip really well and ride smooth. I have only done about 8 or 9 hundred miles on them though so I can't tell you from experience how long they live...

-Barron
  20. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is normal with the higher lift cam and the stiffer valve springs.
    The cam has more ramp angle than the stock oem sowing machine one:lol3
    It will lighten up once the cam and rockers are broken in.
    The specs for the valve clearance are .004 int.....004 ex.......
    That snapping sound you hear is the auto-comp, with the heavy valve springs it makes the noise more distinct then with the lighter springs.
    If you want the sowing machine sound I will have to grind you a different cam, you can send it back to me and I will exchange it for you with a cam with slower ramp angles.