F800gs...Touring screens? you got one ? Lets us see um!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighTechCoonass, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Jooka

Jooka I grow everywhere

Oddometer:
    I am not really wanting to read this entire thread(have already read many pages already), but has anyone had both the AeroFlow Touring tall screen and the Mirage 2 and want to comment on on which you liked better and why? I have been looking over all the options and these are the 2 I am most interested in. I am 90% pavement at this point but looking to change that thus the interest in the Mirage 2. If the Mirage 2 is satisfactory on the highway vs the stock screen I can be happy with that with the option to lower the screen and explore a whole new world for me via motorcycle.

thanks,
    Jooka
  2. RobertAmsterdam

RobertAmsterdam https://www.instagram.com/ktmfreerideexc/

Oddometer:
    Buy the vario :rofl and if you are taller like me 1.83meters buy a little spoiler, so happy with it. The BMW touring :puke1 really, really sucks if you are about my height or taller.

My buddy with the OEM screen really has trouble keeping up on the highway when speeding, the more it drives him nuts the more I laugh
  3. OnkelPopanz

OnkelPopanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question to the madstad owners: For which rider-height is what screen height recommended (20 or 18 inches)?

Quite unsure about that... :confused:

Tapatalk
  4. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I'd suggest the 20" unless you're really short. Madstad used to recommend 20" for those 6' and taller, but I see they now recommend the 20" for most riders and 18" only for those vertically challenged. My experience is that I run with the 18" all the way up, almost all the time, and I am probably switching to the 20". I'm 6', 33 inseam.
  5. OnkelPopanz

OnkelPopanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot, I ordered the 20", hoping it'll give me some weather protection and helps me being rid of this damned storm noise...

I will report back when I had the chance to test it.
    Don't know how long doing to Europe will take...

Tapatalk
  6. Jooka

Jooka I grow everywhere

Oddometer:
    I went with the Touring AeroScreen. Arrived late today, will get it on tomorrow and give it a test out.
  7. SCFoster

SCFoster It is what it is Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have had great success with Aeroflow screens in the past, so decided to try it with the F800GS.

Yes the screen won't win any beauty awards; if I was interested in beauty I would have got a Ducati.

The screen is an extra tall (I'm 6' 3") and works very very well. 80mph (129 kmph) and no helmet buffeting. Still had adequate airflow through the helmet even though it hit 104 degF (40 degC) during the 2 hour test ride. Screen is clear with no distortion.

It appears a lot taller in the pictures than in real life, especially regarding the pictures from the front. Sitting on the bike, I'm a looking at least 2" above the screen.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

The plan is to use this windshield for longer trips and remove the whole assembly for shorter and off-road treks. The only stock parts that need to be purchased to do this is a second set of windshield brackets on the right and left fairings (item 2 in the image below). Each bracket lists for $2.79 so it's not much of a cost.

[​IMG]
  8. Hicks

Hicks der Überluber

Oddometer:
    just switched from TT to Twalcom.. and I like it a bit more, than Touratech. The turbulences are less intense...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    Just got a FJR1300 with the electric windshield.... man it is cool to change on the fly... especially with the love bug season now in full effect down south! i will looking into doing a mod -although a yamaha motor is $500! I am thinking a small 12vdc screw jack.
  10. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think if you could add something like that to your mix you'd sell tons. Something that would bolt on to the mirage or the desierto systems.
  11. 8thdwarf

8thdwarf perfect,just perfect

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

mirage windscreen cuz I detested the one that came with the bike.....
  12. EIGHTLUG

EIGHTLUG Lost on purpose.

Oddometer:
    I recently installed the CalSci 20" windscreen on my GS8 and went for on a nine-hundred mile trip. AMAZING. Absolutely leaps and bounds better than the OEM BMW screen. I'm 6'1 with a 32" inseam and the air stream hit the top of my helmet providing some much welcomed air flow, perfect. I have the screen adjusted to its most "laid back" position. Wind noise was cut down dramatically. I now listen to tunes at 2/3rds volume from my iTouch, instead of 95%. All in all, a great purchase. Well worth the two-hundred bucks!:clap

I ordered bar risers today. So, adjustments may have to be made. Maybe move the screen to the "middle" position, since I will be sitting taller. I'll keep you posted.
  13. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being able to adjust the screen while going down the road was one of the things I really liked about my FJR. That and the motor. I really miss that motor :D

If you come up with something let us know.

Jon...

Off topic:
    If you have not experienced the FJR 3rd gear roll-on from 40 mph to 90+ mph you are in for a treat :D
  14. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I wonder if:
    some version of the motor/jack screw from "some as yet to be identified" car with flip-up head lights would work?
    Electric antenna motor?
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm
  15. 2wheeladv

2wheeladv Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer:
    How do you like the WRS? :ear
  16. toniguedes

toniguedes Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hi,
    I´ve been using the WRS windscreen for some time now, but only for my daily commute at urban low speed areas, occasionally topping 120 km/h. At those speeds, the noise inside my helmet was reduced a lot, as well as the buffeting. Since then I´ve been able to use my Cardo G4 to listen music at a much lower volume...
    The finish is very good and the material appears to be very resistent to scratches, but the windscreen originaly shakes a bit, so I´ve installed the bwm touring windscreen support...Actually, I´m very satisfied with this combination (WRS + bmw support) plus Touratech handguards. :clap

Regards

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    xsf18cdf likes this.
  17. TFB43

TFB43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    where do you get the wrs screens?
  18. toniguedes

toniguedes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can find them here: http://www.wrs.sm/
  19. Ms. Nashville

Ms. Nashville Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The WRS screen looks amazing.
    I'm realy intereseted.

Would you please be so nice and upload a picture with you sitting on the bike, so I get an idea of the height of the screen.
    Apreciate your help, mate :clap

Greetings,
    Martina
  20. 3Rrr

3Rrr Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer:
    If you have the BMW touring screen could you take a pic with the comparison? How tall are you and what is your inseam?

I have a BMW touring screen and have vowed to not put it back on. For the time being a I have F658GS screen on my bike.

Thanks.