The Making of a Cross Canada Route

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deadly99, Jun 28, 2010.

1. two trackin fool

two trackin fool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks !
    Im really not sure yet what Im doing . Im just looking at this piont . Still need to get papers to cross the boarder now didnt before ...
    I will keep you and Dyno in touch .

Sounds like a plan needs to be put together .
  2. Two Wheeled 'Tard

Two Wheeled 'Tard Banned

Oddometer:
    Have to give my thanks again for you guys putting this together, it was a huge undertaking and means the world to other riders!

Can't wait for the pdf maps!
  3. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    +1 on this!! Can't thank you enough and people are talking about your TCAT routes too! It seems that everybody are planning the trip now. :thumb
  4. kiffernathan

kiffernathan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got done my portion of the writeup. My apologies for those who have been waiting for details on the Prairie section.

If anyone is riding the route this summer be sure to PM me and let me know about when you'll be passing near Saskatoon. I'd love to get out and meet some of the folks enjoying the route we created! Maybe I could even join you for a day in my local area, but since I won't be able to ride it all for a while yet I will have to live vicariously through your stories and descriptions of other parts of the route. Also, any suggestions are appreciated.:freaky
  5. kiffernathan

Oddometer:
    So now that the Prairie Region is complete I'd like to mention a few of the people who helped me with this.

Andy Ebbern
    Earl Weneger
    John (kojema) - Sorry, I can't remember your last name John!
    Chris Harris
    Russ Berg
    Stan Burgess
    Glyn Kennell
    Klaus (Sask_Pirate) Sorry Klaus - I can't remember your last name either!
    (I'm so bad with names I'd forget my own if people didn't use it whenever they address me!)

These guys provided knowledge of some areas of the route for me, or rode with me as I explored it (I hate riding alone on an adventure route - too dangerous).

Also, thanks to Ted and all the other people working on this route, both as explorers and those putting the package together! The package is looking very professional, and it's nice to see that all of our work is coming together so nicely.

Last and most, to my wife Lesley, without whom I would not have been able to do this project. She gave away a bunch of summer holidays over the last 2 years looking after kids by herself so that I could ride sections of the route and get the whole thing nailed down. All who ride and enjoy the prairie section can thank her.

I applaud you all!:clap:clap:clap
  6. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, I've been waiting for this section to be written up.
    Now the PDF maps and the final updated tracks and I'll be ready to roll.

Max
  7. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Old Git

Oddometer:
    Well done, the writeup is great! The description and pictures make it even harder to wait until summer to ride the prairies section.
  8. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    The route description for the Prairie chapter of the TCAT is 3/4 posted. Man, Sask and Alberta provinces are now available. Well done Chris, tons of great info :thumb

Will finish the posting over the weekend then next week begin the posting the route description for the province of Ontario.

:freaky
  9. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Thankyou!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap GoodJob!!!
    Regards....just jeff
  10. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    I spent a while on Gravel Travel last night, looks awsome... great job putting that together Teddy Boy...
  11. kiffernathan

Oddometer:
  12. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Were finally into a stretch of good weather after a dreary fall and winter out this way... I went out today to check on conditions along the route...

[​IMG]
    Last year this section just south of Woss was still snowed in mid April, as you can see no snow, but a lot of downed trees..
    [​IMG]
    I was the first one on this road this year, so I spent a fair bit of time bouncing over, going under and plowing through snow downed trees... I did not have my saw with me and the clusters were getting worse so I made the demoralizing decision to turn around and go back {message to self for next time "bring saw"}...
    [​IMG]
    These logs were set here last fall for safety reasons after some flooding damaged the road... I found it quite easy to skirt around the end of the 2 longer logs, bikes yes, cages no... Sometimes this section does not get maintained until summer ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This plane sounded like it was having engine problems and may be the reason why it had landed on Muchalat Lake...
    [​IMG]
    He stalled a couple of times before heading off into the scenery...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Roadside snow is about 4.5 feet deep...

Using the Tahsis Summit as an indicator it looks like we are about 1 month ahead of last year for the snow melt... If it keeps up the whole Island section should be ride able by late April early May...
  13. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    I so wish I could convince SWMBO to move west :cry
  14. piratexpress1369a

piratexpress1369a n00b

Oddometer:
    some great pics for sure
  15. Dirt2Oil

Dirt2Oil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great Job on the TCAT folks. I just downloaded the GPX file and started dreaming about completing it someday! Had a few moments where I thought maybe the three weeks I am going to use to explore Alaska this summer should be used to do the TCAT, but then I quickly realized a lot more time would be required. OH well, I guess I will have to start planning the next adventure after ALaska! :rofl. Perhaps not a good idea to tell the wife until after Alaska! :wink:
  16. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Nice photos David, I'm jealous as we are having a slow start to the season here. Roads are now snow free but the trails are still under snow. Another couple of weeks (weather pending) and I'll be able get out. Still two small sections I need to ride to firm up the gps file before I'll be content to say its good to go.

A couple of different groups have been in touch with plans of riding the entire route this season. A bunch of different groups planning one and two week trips for various sections. I'm stoked to read a ride report or two later this year too get some feedback.

TCAT season is coming :pynd
  17. kiffernathan

Oddometer:
    We still have a ton of snow here in Saskatoon. Some riders have braved the city streets, which until today were mostly clear. The slowly melting snow and cold temperatures are making streets icy though, and we're getting dumped on again today.

We're ridiculously cold for this time of year - we are not forcasted to have a high of above 0 this week! It should be 8 C here on average right now, and the snow should be melting away. Our March was over 5 degrees below normal on average, and we had a lot more snow than usual this year, so I'm anticipating that it will be early May before we can ride any of the route here. :cry

I was in Calgary picking up my new-to-me 2009 KTM 690 Enduro R on Monday and Tuesday, and the temps there were in the high teens. There's no snow there and the riding would be great, although they were forecast to get a bit of snow this week. Their temps are still supposed to be well above freezing though, so it should melt quickly. Wish I could have stayed...
  18. PPCLI-Jim

PPCLI-Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went out east to visit my ma in Edmonton. boy there was snow all over the place except the road, I saw SOME bike on the highways all the way to Jasper going east. But the snow is about knee deep but its melting though.:D
  19. sthamerica

sthamerica Still learning

Oddometer:
    I note the narration on Gravel Travels stops at the point into Ontario i.e. the "continued" link does not appear to work.
    Is this just a "work in progress"?
  20. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Almost finished....should be posted by the end of the week :nod