Show us pictures of your working GPS on you bike.

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by dirtydaug, Nov 19, 2012.

1. RSinBC

RSinBC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Garmin 276 on my old GSA

[​IMG]

TT mount attached by RAM arm.
  2. GeeK_InsiDe

GeeK_InsiDe Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer:
    Oregon 200 and Zumo 220 on my 700GS windscreen, both with RAM mounts:

[​IMG]

USB powered Oregon 200 (you can see the dual USB power socket on the left of the speedo):

[​IMG]

I just bought a Montana 650 to replace both of them. It'll be a little big for hiking compared to the Oregon...
  3. jonyg

jonyg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Garmin Oregon 450. Works great

Attached Files:

4. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    76Cx, RAM-mount. External powered while the sled's running (greatly improves battery life; cold is hell on the AA's).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I quit using Garmin's after I had two units break on me in a row. I used a Delorme PN 60 for a bit with topo maps but it's kinda on the small side.

I'm now using a Nexus 7 with RAM setup and made a video of my previous 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (first gen) that I've used. I find the tablet's far superior except for hitting rain. You can get a waterproof case/ziplock bag or just buy something like the Sony Experia Z that's waterproof. ALL of them cost hundreds less than a zumo and I can still use mine with gloves.

Here's the quick demo from this past summer covering some apps. For you dirt only guys Backcountry Navigator is amazing. It has all the topo's, satellite imagery offline for a about 30 bucks.

It's easy to generate a route on google maps of bing and export that into the device via dropbox as well, much better than basecamp. (GPX)

I also use these for flying in aircraft, zero issue with vibration in 3 years of use.

If you've been eyeing this option heres the video:
    http://youtu.be/lPrctiPwads
  6. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice video review, thanks.
  7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

crappy android phone screen capture, from my gopro video, of my crappy android phone getting roosted, it's Velcro'd to the 4$ trashcan wind shield... and tracking the whole ride with oruxmaps.

(screen off so it won't distract me from the roost)
  8. Tails_KTM

Tails_KTM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  9. istephens

istephens FJR Pilot

Oddometer:
    Here's my ZUMO 550 mounted on my 08 VStrom on the way to Slave Lake, AB last year (2013).

[​IMG]

I use a mount semi-custom made that bolts to the windshield bracket with RAM bits for the ZUMO mount and the SPOT mount.

Ian
  10. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    TomTom Go510 and Garmin 2610 set up for European trip. Standard RAM mounts and homemade sun shields from cover of a dollar-store document folder, attached with velcro. Use one for navigation and other to examine entire route; one in mph, one Km/h; backup in case of failure, etc.

TomTom is hacked to add music playing capability (via BT) and trip logging featues. It's not waterproof but a sandwich bag fixes that if it rains hard enough. Both POI databases were crap in France. TomTom's was latest at the time and was worse than useless for basic things like finding hotels and ATMs

I have several 2610s and still keep hoping someone will find a way to create/convert/hack some updated non-NT maps. There are some things the 2610 does better than anything that has come since but their utility is slowly being compromised by more and more outdated maps. Shame Garmin opted to force obsolesence.
    [​IMG]
  11. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    Thought I am in front of a helicopter cockpit.