The Honda XL1000V thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 30, 2007.

1. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting figure. 3.8 liter per 100 that's 26 km per liter. This is mind boggling economy and I do not believe it. Do not want to sound bad, but without relation to any particular bike model this figure is worthy of participation in "fuel saving races" for which people building purpose machines.
    I agree with TwoPlugs figures on old Transalp (just finished rebuilding mechanics and getting to run 88 transalp for a friend) - 5 liter per 100 is achievable in easy motorway riding in top gear and no headwind. Less means very steady riding or slightly lean mixture (no big deal for Transalp).
    But 3.8 on even new Varadero (that guy says his Vara is 2003 model) means either that you cruise on boring motorway with wind to your back in top gear without even as much as feathering trottle or that your bike runs really really lean + half of above conditions. BTW - notice that in blog you mentioned rider did find that his bike was running very lean and fixed it.
    3.8 means that Varadero is the most fuel efficient motorcycle ever built...yeah, of course.
    At risk of getting another portion of "rotten tomatoes" from Varadero owners from what we read before Varadero is most reliable, roadworthy, fastest, fully dirt road friendly than any competition, eats any other bike for breakfast in any condition, sold in huge numbers, cherished by world motopress and generally ruling the rooster of world motorcycle building and now it is most fuel efficient too! Ah, and best dualsport motorcycle in the world, rooting it's history to RC51 and Superblackbird...
    No offence, but sometimes I what I read sounds like marketing campaign. Why not just to say that Varadero is good bike for segment of market it was built for? You just sooo dedicated guys! Now Varadero granted sales success in USA! :lol3
    How hunting season open, you welcome to shoot :lol3
  2. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Born to be blunt Supporter

Oddometer:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:metricconverter w:st="on" ProductID="3,8 l">3,8 l</st1:metricconverter>... well... that is good, even for a 03 model. I am happy with the <st1:metricconverter w:st="on" ProductID="5 l">5 l</st1:metricconverter> I achieve on my '04 ABS. But after my test spin on the 08 model I think on long distance touring 5 to <st1:metricconverter w:st="on" ProductID="4 litre">4 litre</st1:metricconverter> should be possible, no questions about that...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    @ crocapo: We will be back in beautiful <st1:country-region w:st="on">Croatia</st1:country-region> next year, on our way up to the 11th Varadero International Meeting in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Turkey</st1:country-region></st1:place>. So most likely I will try to get in touch with you for tips & tricks, which route to ride, good places to stay over, etc. We will be heading south with 3 Dero's, next year May. <o:p></o:p>
    @ Paul... nr 1... lost your licence? <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/naughty.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\BERNAR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>We will have a ride out with the Dutch club at www.varaderoclub.nl in the <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Northern Province</st1:place></st1:State> next Saturday (May 24th). Be free to join in as well! <o:p></o:p>
  3. ozcan

ozcan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm back in Australia... . Presently preparing for four months' riding from Nova Scotia to Vancouver, then over to VI and up to Alaska. I plan to buy a Dero in Bridgewater, N.S. Cost is C$16,214.00 all up.

Also planning to leave a bike in NZ. ATs were imported there and are reasonably cheap, compared to Oz., where they're damned expensive...
    if you can find one!

Will leave the Dero on Vancouver Island, for future rides: Mexico, Central America, South America.

PS: Check out the AT a friend loaned me in NZ... . You can pick one of these up for around NZ$7000.00. Cheap...!!

Attached Files:

4. crocapo

crocapo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    O.k contact me any time.Private i work in turism so it will not be a problem to find you a good place to stay over...I hope that you like Croatian sea food and everything because I hope that you are going to have time to tray some of those things....:clap
  5. ozcan

ozcan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very much appreciated, TP. Think we'll proceed to buy the Varadero in eastern Canada. They won't have the TA 700, so we don't have that choice, anyway. Finding Canada's Honda dealers fairly unexcited about adventure bikes, unfortunately... .

Pleased to read that the Dero is so economical. You're actually doing a little better than I am on my Africa Twin (16.5 / L) !

Ride safe in Italy...!

Paul,
    W. Australia
    XLV750R (1986, shaft)
    XLV600 (TA, 1987)
    XRV750 (AT, 1992)
  6. Rod Rat

Rod Rat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is what can be done with a 2008 model for our conditions in South Africa, Cape Town. This bike just eats up the off roads as thats where I like to ride.

Attached Files:

7. mchester

mchester Honda Cult Member

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's the model for what I'll do with a Dero once I can get my hands on one here in the States... Maybe someday soon...
  8. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    Hi Rod Rat,

Would appreciate some action pics with those tyres!
  9. Rod Rat

Rod Rat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will arrange some for you guys shortly.
  10. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    I was a big admirer of anything coming from Michelin - for both the Transalp and for the Varadero (Michelin Anakee - most certainly not the Pilot road!) but I am totally converted to Continental these days.

I have now over 13.000 km done with a new set of Continental Trail Attack and I guess that it should be possible to get another 3.000 k from them (totaly adding up to 16.000 km / 10.000 miles). Wow, what a set of tyres they are!

I would recommend them to anyone. Rain, winter, summer, dirty roads, even dirtroads - OK, they are not TKC's but they just do the trick! And the best part... No chicken strips on these Conti Trail Attacks any more!
  11. Arktus

Arktus on XTzy!

Oddometer:
    This is my big baby. Bought it at the end of last year (2005 model). I made a few updates like chainoiler, white indicators and painted some plastics. A little heavy but great bike.

Attached Files:

12. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    Great bike...! Western parts of Germany? Dutch, Belgian or French border?
  13. Arktus

Arktus on XTzy!

Oddometer:
    @Two Plugs

Dutch border. Perhaps you know one of my favorite sites near emmerich:

Attached Files:

14. Monsieur

Monsieur Varadero Journeyman

Oddometer:
    My loyal steed
    2005 Varadero 1000 :D

[​IMG]
  15. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    I know!

But I must admitt that I am living in the Northern Province, Groningen (Near the German Province of Niedersachsen).

We do ride a tour allong the Dutch / German border with the Dutch Varadero and Transalpclub this summer, kickin' of in Enschede. It will be held om July 12th, you (and all others!) are welcome to join in. Check the 'kalender' on http://www.varaderoclub.nl (our the Dutch Forum) or just send me a direct e-mail to info(AT)transalpclub.nl for details.
  16. DelicateLittleFlower

DelicateLittleFlower WooooHooooo!!!!!

Oddometer:
    +1

I am looking into getting something besides what came stock.
  17. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    Inspired by some of the postings above... Lets share it!
    (Have to search for my own though... :1drink )
  18. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    Hi Varadero Riders and friends,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The International Varadero Forum had some serious troubles with hackers the last few months. There fore the administrator team (Me, Ratman and JamesMC) have decided to move the entire International Forum to a new, updated CMS system. The old Forum will stay online for some time, but will be closed soon. <o:p></o:p>
    Due to this actions, we have to ask ALL members of the old Forum to make a new registration. We are starting all over again, and the donations made by many of the members will be used to make the new International Forum as solid as possible.<o:p></o:p>
    I would like to invite all of you in to have a look; I will post a short invitation at the other Varadero related topics here.<o:p></o:p>
    Have a look and be free to subscribe:<o:p></o:p>
    http://varaderoforumcom.h826747.serverkompetenz.net/index.php
  19. ozcan

ozcan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of our VTA group recently mentioned a possible problem with Varadero timing chains, around 30,000 km. Any advice on this, Bernard?

Paul
  20. Scoop

Scoop runs with scissors

Oddometer:
    Had the Varadero been available when I bought my DL1000, I would have purchased one instead. I came off of a VTR, to the DL. One would have thought that the engines would be similar, but not a chance. I loved the motor on the VTR and I really think that there is no comparison to the Strom. Now, maybe if I put 52mm carbs on and changed the timing, they would compare, but a stock DL1000 engine is not nearly as fine as the VTR.
    If I could find someone in Canada who could do a good job of tuning my Strom engine, I would do that and see if it matched the VTR. But, the Dero looks like a good buy to me!