Urgent help needed with KLR 650 clutch lifter arm...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by E-Bum, Jan 5, 2013.

1. E-Bum

E-Bum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike is a 2010 KLR 650.

Again, on the verge of my trip to Ushuaia I am stuck on a Saturday with all the mechanics shops closed in Chile. My clutch cable broke again this morning due to shoddy welding (though it was sufficient to bring me to a big city, where I am now).

So, after buying proper clutch cables and attempting to fit one end into the clutch lifter arm (I think this is what it is called... the swing arm at the bottom end of the clutch cable), I stupidly and naively lifted the clutch release rod (the rod that descends into the case) and rotated it backwards. I figured I could simply find the mushroom head again, but after playing with the rod for several hours, I still cannot get it to catch. I can get the lifter arm positioned correctly (at 90 degrees to the body of the moto), but the rod does not move any further, it is stuck on something.

Is the only way to realign the rod with the mushroom head to take off the case? There is no way to select through the gears and play with the arm to get the mushroom head to realign and catch? The rod has now been out completely and the groove looks used, but not damaged. Like I said, it just seems stuck.

If I need to take the case off, are there any good resources to keep in mind (photos, step by step etc...)? Is this doable without having to replace any parts (assuming we keep the gasket intact)?

Really appreciate the help.
  2. SlickSix

SlickSix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can try to place the bike on its side, maybe the rod will go that little bit further in the clutch basket.

Place it on the floor on the side of the clutch basket. It shouldn´t be that hard, I never had to open the side case, infact, they all go in with the cases closed.
  3. SlickSix

SlickSix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don´t be afraid to put a bit of force when pushing it down
  4. E-Bum

E-Bum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate when the answer is that I didn´t stay at it long enough... Was simply a question of force. After I had it in place, I convinced myself it wasn´t correct because I couldn´t move the arm forward with my fingers. Guess the idea of the cable and clutch lever is to provide leverage. Duh.

however, I am a bit preoccupied by how far the arm sticks out. See pic. The space between the bottom of the flange on the arm and the case is a good 8 mm... I don´t remember how much space there was before I took it out. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is correct. The bike seems to be shifting normally otherwise, leading me to believe that it´s fine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks okay to me. Does it work? That's the key answer. :freaky
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    From what I can see it appears to be in right.
    Here is a picture of how it should look, I just put this extended arm in the other day.
    [​IMG]
  7. sub5pac3

sub5pac3 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, did you ever find out for sure if this is normal? I'm having the same exact problem. Looking around the web at various engine photos it seems this part doesn't stick up like this on other KLRs, so I'm worried that something is not aligned correctly, even though it works.
  8. BergieZA

BergieZA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Having the same problem on a friends KLR650, the clutch release lever sits much higher (about 4-6mm) than when it came out. It is working fine, but that doesn't mean it is not doing damage somewhere on the inside due to misalignment.
    [​IMG]
    Anyone else had this issue?
  9. TheAnt

TheAnt n00b

Oddometer:

And that friend is me... Riding the bike at the moment, and seems to be working fine. Just worried about what BergieZA said. :ear
  10. D_A

D_A Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is misaligned, but not by much. Just use the same procedure already mentioned but be willing to wiggle it around some and it should drop down that last bit.

Have a look here at the parts diagram (it's interactive so you can zoom in etc)
    http://www.partspitstop.com/pages/OemParts#%2fKawasaki%2fKL650ECF_KLR650_(2012)%2fCLUTCH_(KL650AEA72320-)%2fKL650ECF-2012%2fI16I1695E1350A1

The rod locates in a bearing in the bottom part of the clutch cover and there's a notch in the shaft that locates it on a rod in the clutch assembly. Obviously it will till work if it's close enough, but you should be able to get it seated all the way down with a little patience.
  11. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Screenshot of what D_A is talking about.

[​IMG]
  12. D_A

D_A Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I probably should have done that. The notch I'm talking about is right where the leader of the "A" hits the shaft in the pic.
  13. sub5pac3

sub5pac3 n00b

Oddometer:
    Well I wiggled and wiggled for hours and it never dropped down. I went into the dealership to look at another 2012 just like mine and the one they had just assembled looked exactly like this -- sticking up about 1/4". I'm not saying they assembled it correctly, but if there is a way it should fit other than this I have no idea how to make it happen and apparently neither does my dealer tech. Any Kawasaki certified mechanics or engineers want to throw us a bone here?
  14. D_A

D_A Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd suggest that so long as you can't just lift it straight up without disconnecting the arm and turning it right around then it should be ok. It obviously works as it is but going any further will possibly require pulling the cover off, and that means dropping the coolant and taking out the pump impeller as well, plus the possible cost of a couple of gaskets.
    It would give you a chance to clear the oil strainer etc but it's an added cost you may not want to deal with right now, and I understand that.
    If the shaft is secure then don't worry about it too much. It might not be "ideal" but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
  15. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    It's NORMAL, don't worry. They all stick up a little bit. Been there and I took the case off to see that it is NORMAL when it first happened to me. If it's in wrong it will be stuck and not move unless you force it and break it off. Now go ride and don't worry. Really you guys...
  16. sub5pac3

sub5pac3 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you. It seems a little weird that they all stick up by various amounts -- not sure why, maybe slight differences in design each year(?). I have put several hundred miles on since I noticed this and it seems to be just fine, so I will not worry and will just continue to ride. I really appreciate the feedback as this is my first KLR and I have no idea what the normal condition is for many of the components.
  17. BergieZA

BergieZA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree that it is not causing any problems, it is however strange that the position changed. (The engine was out of the frame, and upside down)
    AFAIK the clutch main center line shaft should not have shifted, and the lever obviously didn't get any longer. :dunno