Registering Out Of State Vehicles In Ca

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by gmtcm, Sep 1, 2009.

1. gmtcm

gmtcm KTM RIDER

Oddometer:
    Hi - I have been told that California will not register a used motorcycle that has been brought in from another state, with less than 7000 miles on it. Is this true? If it is, it sounds like a good deal for the CA dealerships.

Thanks - gmtcm
  2. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    I think it's 5 years or 7K miles. I think they also have exceptions for things like people being relocated / moving, but it's not easy to prove.
  3. Waldo308

Waldo308 Grouchy Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    Actually, it's 7500 miles. See info below and read "What is considered a new vehicle"
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

I registered a 2003 Suzuki DR650 last December that I bought in Tucson Arizona that had 7,800 miles on it with no problems. I don't think the 5 years is a factor. According to the person who checked it, I was "lucky" that it had over 7500 miles. Lucky hell, I planned it that way!

Well, no problems other than the usual truculent attitude of the lazy a-hole who came out to check the numbers on the bike. Took him 45 minutes of bitching to do a simple 5 minute job. He was pissed because someone had the temerity to interrupt his 2 hour lunch.
  4. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it is. I brought in a BMW with 1000 miles on it. Luckily, it was 6 years old. They went over it with a fine-tooth comb, but it was all legal (and no, it wasn't California smog compliant either).
  5. Waldo308

Oddometer:
    That's good to know. The idiot that looked mine over didn't know that. Why am I not surprised?

Thanks for that information. That will expand the choices for searching out a bike for my son.
  6. BobD

BobD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, 7500 miles is NOT necessary, as long as the motorcycle is CA emissions compliant.

7. Waldo308

Oddometer:
    Of course, this is absolutely true.

I don't know what your chances are of finding this in an out-of-state motorcycle. I have heard that many dealers in Nevada and Arizona who are close the the CA border sell CA compliant motorcycles. I don't know if there is any truth to this or not.

The bike I purchased in Tucson was definitely not CA compliant and it was originally purchased from a dealer in Phoenix.

That's just one more factor you have to check out before purchasing from out of state.
  8. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Many of the manufacturers sell their bikes as 50-state compliant. I'm surprised a BMW wasn't CA certified...
  9. SloCalSpode

SloCalSpode Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I should throw my hat in the ring just to mess things up.
    I purchased the 2002 Kawasaki Super Sherpa that was for sale
    by a fellow inmate. He lived in Las Vegas and had Nevada title
    and regristration. The bike had/has right around 3,100 miles on
    it.
    It is not Ca (CARB) certified, but, does have a US smog compliant
    certificate sticker on the frame. It is a 49 state model. As the
    Super Sherpa was never sold in Ca.
    My trip to the Ca. DMV included the standard VIN verification
    and over all inspection of the bike. The attendant never looked
    at the mileage, or even asked me about it. She did comment
    that it did have an EPA sticker and that was sufficient for her.
    (side note) My GF was with me @ the DMV to register her newly
    purchased (plated and titled from NY) 2005 GasGas Pampera 280.
    It failed the Ca. DMV inspection because it did not have the
    EPA sticker. She got a referal notice to make an appointment
    with the Ca. Highway Patrol referee for a decission if it could
    be platted in Ca. or not. She did get a paper temporary tag
    so she could ride it till the CHP review. And the Ca. title came
    in the mail already. So it is Ca titled as street bike, with an
    incomplete registration. That may change pending the CHP review.
    So I guess it boils down to what DMV you go to and whom does
    the inspection. Or possibly. It was because the bike was 7 years
    old.....I don't know.
    Ok. My 2 cents worth of information.
    Jeff So. Cal.
  10. Waldo308

Oddometer:
    Jeff:
    I strongly believe you have hit the nail directly in the center of the head with that guess.

I remember in the '90's you could get a Honda XR plated for the road if you went to the "right" DMV office. Any DMV in Orange County certainly wasn't in the right group. If you went to Kern County or some parts of San Berdoo or Riverside County, you were very likely to have things interpreted in your favor.

I believe it has tightened up considerably since then but I would bet there is a lot of truth in your supposition.
  11. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Having the "right" employee at a certain DMV does not mean you're good to go. This stuff still goes to Sacramento for final approval. Just because someone rubber-stamped your paperwork and gave you a plate doesn't mean you get to keep it.

The original poster was asking about the legal way to bring a bike into California. A DMV error isn't legal.
  12. edeslaur

edeslaur San Diegan

Oddometer:
    If you're already a resident, they'll want to ding you for the sales tax difference too.

My Husky is 50-state legal, so when I moved down here and it was less than 12 months old and around 4000 miles, I was good to go. But I practically had to force the DMV person to look at the sticker (It's a dirtbike, you can't plate that here!).

Word to the wise - if you have AAA, use their DMV services (most offices), it'll save you a loooong time in line.
  13. edeslaur

edeslaur San Diegan

Oddometer:
    They've apparently been yanking misregistrations for dirt bikes and UTVs over the past couple of years. YMMV.
    Wait, hereyougo, and dealers getting fined big $$ for doing it...
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501853

The Husky is at least as good as an XR (but with an electric foot, lights, and a factory CARB 50 state sticker, so I'm good to go. :evil
  14. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    That only applies to Southern California. Norcal AAA does not do out of state transfers nor OHV registrations.