Land Rover Lust!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Mav, Jul 30, 2009.

1. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Their diesel engines are among the very best made.
  2. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    The 2,8 diesel is currently made in Brazil under license ...basically a 2,5 300tdi bored out....in fact a friend here ran one in the Dakar in a Disco body and finished the race with all being OK,bar a drop in bhp from that of a petrol engine...

:D
    davyjones likes this.
  3. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    PS... I...and I mean all of us too...should really get out a bit more....

:rofl
  4. Blair

Blair .

Oddometer:
    If you mean "out" and work on a Land Rover, that's exactly what I was doing. Trying to put back together a 53 year old truck is always fun. Today's fun was trying to figure out how to reinstall the cooling system. Fun stuff.
    davyjones likes this.
  5. PaleRider

PaleRider gelande/strasse

Oddometer:
    ... awesome :lol3 :lol3 :thumb
  6. Doc.Snyder

Doc.Snyder Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2.8l tgv International 4cyl engine is the best diesel engine for a Defender. That's right. It's essentially the same as the 300tdi, but with a bit more displacement and another turbocharger.

I exchanged my 300tdi for the 2.8l version. Best mod ever.! Also I removed the external Rollcage, removed the spare tire from the hood, exchanged the roof with a 110 Station roof (w. alpine windows & Sunroof), added the mantec snorkle, the mil. arctic snow cover for the heater intake, 6.5x16" LR Wolf Rims w. 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT, additional Gastank, Rocksliders, NATO tow hook, NATO rear bumpers, LR Light guards, LR Safari aux. Lights. RECARO Seats, complete rubber floor front, standard LR A/C. Black front undercarriage protection (blend in really good :-) )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    davyjones and overlander like this.
  7. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way to go DOC!!!!
  8. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Very very nice Doc :clap
  9. Doc.Snyder

Doc.Snyder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to sell it when I moved to the US

:kboom :kboom :kboom :baldy :baldy :puke2 :puke2 :2cry :2cry
  10. PaleRider

PaleRider gelande/strasse

Oddometer:
    ... hey Doc, way cool! :thumb

... what is the little black mod on the right front fender?
  11. Doc.Snyder

Doc.Snyder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

That's the arctic snow cover from the mil. spec Defender. It covers the Air Intake of the Heater, so it still can suck in Air when covered with snow (or mud:D ).

One detail I forgot to mention is the flip cover below the speedo. Also from the mil spec Defender. It covers the warning lights. useful when driving at night w. lights off (hunting)
    davyjones likes this.
  12. Blair

Blair .

Oddometer:
    Nice 110. What transmission did you have hooked to the 2.8? That motor looks to ne a great option for my 110. I just need to figure out how to get one.

13. Doc.Snyder

Doc.Snyder Long timer

Oddometer:
    davyjones likes this.
  14. Blair

Blair .

Oddometer:
    No adapter between the transmission and motor? I really would like to find a couple of those. I have a 5 speed disco that could use one as well.
    Blair

15. Doc.Snyder

Doc.Snyder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, wait... there was an adapter kit, but it was included with the engine...

<TABLE class=main border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 width="100%" background=images/light_bg.gif><TBODY><TR><TH class=tblheader align=left>Can I fit the new HS 2.8L TGV engine in place of the &#8216;300&#8217; Tdi without any conversion parts?</TH></TR><TR><TD class=tblrow vAlign=top>No! The engine differs in several ways,

1. Not all the engine mounting M12 holes are not drilled and tapped in the cylinder block. We drill and tap these with a special jig before the engines leave our works.

2. The rear end of the crankshaft is different. We supply a special crankshaft adapter and bush in the kit.

3. The engine oil filter arrangement is different. The oil filter is mounted further back and fouls the standard RH Tdi engine mounting bracket. A special 90° oil filter adapter is supplied in the kit to miss the bracket. The oil filter block also mounts the lubricating oil cooler (Modine type). The radiator engine oil cooler is not used but we do offer a remote oil cooler adaption Kit 160 which is part of the &#8216;200&#8217; Tdi Discovery Kit 156 due to the RH engine mounting bracket fouling the standard Modine oil cooler.

4. The turbocharger has different exhaust and compressor connections and the inlet manifold is different. All our kits have inter-cooler pipes & hoses and exhaust pipes to suit the new 2.8 engine.

5. The dipstick tube on the HS 2.8 lubricating oil sump would foul the front propshaft. We weld a special tube to the sump before the engine leaves our works.

Our conversion Kit 154 for Defender and Kit 151 for Discovery &#8216;300&#8217; Tdi include all the necessary parts to fit the new HS 2.8L TGV engine to these models.

http://www.mdengineering.co.uk/index.php?act=faq

http://www.mdengineering.co.uk/index.php?act=category&cat_id=1
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    davyjones likes this.
  16. desert dog

desert dog scrub basher

Oddometer:
    sorry didn't get back to you guy's, slow day !!!

here's a photo of under the bonnet (hood) :huh

[​IMG]

yep - needs a clean !!!:lol3

will get them spec's.........................soon !!! :deal

cheers matty

spot the landy !!! :eek1

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  17. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    What do you guys think of the V8 defenders? I found an older but low mileage (50k) V8 110. I don't do many miles and even with the odd trip, it shouldn't be more that 5k a year so maybe I won't mind about the fuel consumption... just how bad is it? And what about the reliability?

On the plus side... there is that sound :tb

For example:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eQEU-XtD23w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eQEU-XtD23w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
    davyjones likes this.
  18. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    Do you really need to ask?

:tb
  19. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
    Cool Landy thread.

I sold my 1985 110 last year after 10 years.

I loved the V8 sound

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sBUoXZahKfg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sBUoXZahKfg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And to fight the itch of buying another, I have made a mini one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<OBJECT width=425 height=344>
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LQFdMbr1W2c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT>
    davyjones likes this.
  20. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic of the landy in question:

[​IMG]

Seriously thinking I need to get some time off work to go see it :evil