Anakee 3: H or S?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Mobiker, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at rear tires for my GS. I've noticed that the Anakee 3's in 130/80-17 come in both an S (112 mph) and an H (130 mph) rating. Most online retailers seem to list them for the same price.

Intuitively I want to go for the H. Realistically I'm never going to ride the Gs over 112 mph so I'm wondering if there any reasons to choose the lower speed rated (S) tire? Why would someone choose the S over the H given an equal price?
  2. McBoab

McBoab Fast side of farty

Oddometer:
    Here in Blighty Insurance companies can get a bit fussy over things like tyre specs/ratings if they are looking not to pay out on accident claims, which means they would want to see the same speed/load rating as originally specced. Not sure how things are in the new world, and you might not give a rats @rse about such things either. :)
  3. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't tire companies obtain higher speed ratings by making the tires harder? i so, I'd always go for softer for better grip.
  4. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    I would call Michelin and ask a tech. They are very helpfull.
  5. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Possibly easier to mount.
  6. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The weather here was sucky yesterday so I did some web surfing on this issue and found no clear answer and lots of contradictory info. The Michelin website provided no info. They do have their 2013 fitment guide online so I looked up the GS. They recommend the H Anakee 3. The original tires were Metzeler Sahara's that are "T" rated so either the S or the H is technically an upgrade over stock.
  7. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    This turned out to be a good idea, :doh

I sent Michelin an email request from their webpage late yesterday. This morning I had a response. First he gently pointed out that a T rated tire is actually a 118 mph rated tire versus the S which is rated at 112 mph. I was reading a chart and must have misread it. I thought the T was around 101 mph rated. :doh #2

So that's why they recommend the H and not the S. Realistically either would be fine for me, but the S does not meet the original equipment spec.

He also said, "As for differences in the tire there really aren't any because they are the same tread the H rated would just have a slightly harder compound to withstand higher speeds."

So I'm going with an H if I buy the Anakees.

Thanks to all who responded.
  8. Les_Garten

Les_Garten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May not be an issue here or even a factor.

Hiigher rated tires are usually Rounder and more balanced while running at all speeds. (As mentioned, this may come because the compound is harder, not sure about that, first time I heard it)

This was pointed out to me by a Merc Benz wrench.

The higher the speed rating, the better the tires rode, within reason.

I had the same questions because my MB wagon was not going High Speed ever, so I put S or T's on it.