Post your BMW Airhead fuel economy

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by BrokenR80RT, Jun 18, 2011.

1. BrokenR80RT

BrokenR80RT But I'll fix it.

Oddometer:
    Been tracking fuel economy on the BMWMOA sight. People seem shy to respond. Thought I'd try to get a larger sample size here on ADV.

So post your BMW Airhead fuel economy and I'll keep updating the chart below. If you've already posted on BMWMOA, no need to post again. Should be good for all of us:

[​IMG]
  2. rufusswan

rufusswan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    71 R75/5 LWB Just under 45 mpg at 60 mph.
  3. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Average per tank? It looks like people are reporting their best not their average. Mine varies from the low twenties to my record low forties depending on how I ride. Most of my tanks are in the high twenties but I usually get mid thirties on road trips. I normally cruise around 85 on the slab if I can get away with it. I cruise 100mph if everybody else is! I am sure I could get better but I can't stand to ride that slow. 60mph cruise? It would kill me for falling asleep! If I want economy, I will pick the right car. When I fall asleep, I might not get hurt as bad! :lol3
  4. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    I was getting 45-48 average since before the build, about 35 after. Currently doing what I can to better that. If was like SS and getting in the 20s....I would be looking for another bike. I just got 30mpg and thought about it.....not acceptable mileage.
  5. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    It's not the bike. It's the rider. I could probably get mid forties if I slowed down. When I got my record 42mpg I was still speeding, just not nearly as much as I normlly do. :rofl

It's funny but here on the net most report mileage with airheads that most riders I hear of off the net weren't getting until they got a R1200.
  6. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Getting 35 to 40 depending on my right hand. I don't necessarily go fast but
    I like to accelerate.
  7. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    My R80 ST gets a fairly consistent 41-43 mpg when all is just right.

On the 1200 miles or so round trip to the ADV Spring Fling last month it was a consistent 41 mpg.

Thats a naked bike loaded for camping and don't forget that the ST final drive is a low low 37/11 which means conservative Interstate speeds are still spinning the motor between about 4700 - 5000 rpm.

I get pretty much the same results tooling around the Island here locally.
  8. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shitty. 35 on the hwy. Can't seem to keep it under 70 on Atlanta hwys
  9. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised the traffic doesn't force you to do 85
  10. zbg8000

zbg8000 needs more loctite

Oddometer:
    about 34. Heavy throttle hand.
  11. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    45+ on both my r100's, 78 /7 and a 93 r100r. I can squeeze 50 out of them if I want to.
  12. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    I get about 38 per gallon, over the course of an entire tank. If it's all highway then a bit higher, but I really don't break the 40 barrier. PS - 1978 R100RS, faringless. All road.

To touch on what Stagehand said ... the RS minus the weight of the faring = BIG GET UP AND GO. I've beat a R1100RT off the line and ran with it even for 1/4 mile ... it had better top end.

So ... it depends on my right hand ... I do love the acceleration.
  13. 4ad

4ad ochlacrat

Oddometer:
    79RS euro (big valve, drilled box etc)...best I've gotten is 55 highway but usually 35-45 mixed
  14. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well.....:D At times you really have no choice.
  15. photomd

photomd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get 42mpg to 46 mpg on my '88 R100RS.
  16. 97oilhead

97oilhead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I take it easy around 60, I can get 43 mpg. '94 R100GSPD
  17. greenslime

greenslime greenslime

Oddometer:
    38 to 45 at best ,various conditions,81 r100rt
  18. BrokenR80RT

BrokenR80RT But I'll fix it.

Oddometer:

Just your average is fine. I have a book I write maintenance and fuel usage in. Always have done this type of thing with all my machines so I catch stuff early. Cars tend to sell better when the next guy in line believes yer anal because you keep (good :oscar) records.
  19. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    I mentally figure out the mileage after a fill up. I don't keep a record of it, so this is all from memory. On the bikes that are geared low like the R80G/S and 100GS I've gotten high 30s to mid 40s. The mid 70s to 84 R100s (S, RS, naked) are usually low 40s to close to 50. The R65 (now 850) gets low to mid 40s---it's got a taller final drive, and I'm getting ready to go even taller, so mileage should improve.

I rode an unfaired R100R across the country putting on 7500 miles in three weeks, and it seems like it got low to mid 40s for mileage.

I think it depends a bit on the weight of the rider, how much gear it's carrying and tire pressure. Of course, heavy acceleration and higher speeds take their toll.
  20. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    I have never needed a journal to keep track of all that stuff. Maybe all the jokes I heard as a kid about beemer riders being pipe smoking journal nerds set my mind to doing without them? People asked me what I thought of the first MOA National I went to. I had a great time but I wished I had a little hand held sign stating that I would not discuss mileage and tire wear journal entries and maybe another one that said Star Trek Convention with a big arrow pointing away from me! That would save me a lot of time at a big rally! :rofl