What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DeeGee, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Man, thats is one clean install. and HOW IN HELL IS YOUR ENGINE SO CLEAN ????

mine is quite shabby in comparison and leaks at a few joints.
    [​IMG]

Did you pre-assemble the hoses and then wiggle the entire assembly into place ? Mine used to lead at the thermostat housing and after i replaced the clamp, its now leaking at the cross-over joint (between the bores)
  2. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    I've been concerned about the not so tight FMF can in the hanger which can lead to a cracked rear header pipe and took care of it. Cut a few strips of rubber and added them into the hanger so that the can stays put and fully supported by it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a leak from the SAMCO hose at the thermostat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

which was due to a mangled, cheap hose clamp
    [​IMG]

replaced the el-cheapo hose clamp with a Jubilee one.
    [​IMG]

saw this and got concerned that i might have a head/bore gasket leakage
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then i realised that it was due to the small coolant leak from the hose bridging the two bores.
    [​IMG]
    This one will have to wait untill i do my next valve check cos the airbox has to come off.

saw this on my head-stock
    [​IMG]
    and now i'm thinking :
    1. KTM does stamp the VIN on the head-stock but its covered by the factory paint. Unlike what i had read/understood that its only in the form of a sticker on the frame.
    2. I dont remember ever seeing it in the last 4 years, obviously because it was under the paint.
    3. I recently shifted my bike from Saudi to UAE and i'm guessing that the customs/border guys might have scraped the paint on the headstock to check for VIN because thats where all bikes have it. This inspite of me putting a big note on the bike showing the location of the sticker on the frame for when they needed to check the VIN.
    4. I'm now concerned that the next time i go for the yearly vehicle check/test, they will look at the head stock, find the scraped paint and some numbers under it and then cause me undue trouble.
    5. Any thing i do now (including trying to repair the scraping by repainting over it OR repainting the whole chassis) will cause more problems so i'm thinking i'll remove the paint from the exact area showing the VIN, cover it with some clear varnish. This will show the VIN (vehicle test/check guys are happy) as well as protect the bare metal underneath (i'm happy). Win-Win situation !!
  3. Masso75

Masso75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    no,it is a pebble :rofl don't worry :D
  4. nikkyver

nikkyver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found out something about silicone hoses & worm clamps-----they leak! Seems the flat spot on the clamp under the screw causes the hose to pinch up so when it cools, leaks..... Consequently you need to use wrap around clamps with silicone hoses, or just use the old style rubber hoses with worm claps like has been used for about 70 years.... no problem mon!
  5. cotrailrdr

cotrailrdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ordered a set of Heidenau K-60's for spring. I've been running the 908/606 combo but looking for a little longer tread life without sacrificing too much traction.
  6. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    Looks like you lost a screw out the end of the can.....
  7. vonotto

vonotto See you on the road, Scag!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

New Scotts Steering stabilizer with top triple tree & 3/4 inch riser {need more height}

[​IMG]

Scotts rear disc guard. Nice piece of bling :D
  8. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    After discovering Geek's awesome thread, "Welcome new 9x0 owners...." http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769525

I got started on the suggestions it contains:

1. Adjusted the steering stops. It was amazing how far out they were!
    2. Removed the rubber foot peg isolators....
    3. Trimmed the rear mud flap to prevent swing arm scoring. Very easily done, trimmed off about 1/4" x 6" off each edge.
    4. Drilled 1/8" drain holes in the lower back ends of the swing arm for water drainage, and removed/cleaned/anti-seized the adjusters to prevent seizing and corrosion.

And these were the suggestions from reading only the first couple of pages from the thread!! :evil

A huge "thanks" to Geek and everyone else for contributing to that thread for us newbies! I'm getting to know the bike and taking care of preventive maintenance type items while seriously "Jonesing" to ride!! :freaky
  9. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    It's a fully rebuilt engine from KTM USA factory mechanic, that's why it's so clean. I used my old hose assy to model the new Samco hoses in place, and built it up piece by piece.

[​IMG]

Only had the radiator hoses to connect when I lifted the engine into the frame. Oeticker clamps are great. Used smooth edge Euro groove-screw clamps on the radiator connections (from a KTM dealer), they don't leak.

[​IMG]

The cheapie sharp perforated edged screw clamps can damage all kinds of hoses.
  10. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful day for a ride in the Bay Area of Cali.
  11. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Rode down to Hollister and was having a real fun time, then began hearing some noise when in the air. Stopped to check it out and found the tabs for the center stand stops have broken off, and the PA biker side stand bracket which is bolted to those had sled back and was making contact with the chain when air borne. Looks like I'll need to do some welding soon. Now wear can I get some orange frame paint?
  12. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Kubota shop probably. It'd be pretty damn close.
  13. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Secretary has to work out of her car to make room for some heated indoor storage.
    [​IMG]

Actually I am my own secretary and this was a spare office. GF says it should go up on in storage above the offices but I kinda like it here.I pay the bills - I win (for now - she still does the books and has other functions I like :evil)
    [​IMG]
  14. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Moby just spent a month in dry dock for the following:

New dual horns (sounds like a steam ship)
    Black Dog skid plate
    Welded enlarged side stand pad
    Cannisterectomy
    Rear ABS disconnect switch
    Nerf bars (thanks Geek!)
    Gobi bags
    Givi Trunk
    Replaced snorkel with pre filter
    HDB hand guards
    Throttle lock
    KTM heated grips
    0.52 fork springs
    Fresh oil in shock & forks
    Additional power outlet on dash

The only remaining tasks are an upgrade of the clutch slave cylinder, addition of highway pegs, and a Seat Concepts seat.

[​IMG]
  15. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Yes, and that too :-)
  16. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Added some Carbon Fiber Bling to My Katoom. Now I just have to find a damned 31mm Socket so I can split the cases on my old motor.
    [​IMG]
  17. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Qwik, I got one you can use. I'm in the East Bay.
  18. go2cnavy

go2cnavy Dont Worry Be Brappy

Oddometer:
    Walked past it on the way to work cause it's too cold to ride.:lol3
  19. Eataz

Eataz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First ride of the year! From Sweden.
    [​IMG]
  20. beergut

beergut Thumper

Oddometer: