ADVR R80G/S registry.... who's got one?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Solo Lobo, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on that. At 750 Euro's its about the same as getting a MooreSpeed one built. Probably less as you dont have to buy a driveshaft if it comes with that.
  2. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] Saved this 81 beater from Katrina. Just past Lake Ponch on the beach in Alabama . A barn full of "works in progress" looked like a retirement plan to me
    rode my R1100RS to meet my gal in The Big Easy, then Proceeded to drop my Panner key in the swamp. (Don't Ask)

The Seller was an Old Harley Guy, must of got this cheap then got it running, then thru it on E bay.
    Hey the Pictures looked good. He said it only had 40 thou on the speedo. But in the flesh it had been a Decade off line and
    all seals were toast. With Mexican tourist stickers on the old Plexy windshield, it made me feel like that kid again, stealing away from home to the world outside...

So I called a Southern Cousin I hadn't seen it 5 years. and gave hime an excuse to get away from his mom, and get off the couch of life, and said "lets ride bikes back west on Blue roads".

An epic trip. The bike needed two dealer stops for leaking fluids, but hung with the R1100 and we had a blast trading off across the west
    It has been an expensive "cheep" bike, finding true solitude in Nature.
    She has been thur two sets of Luggage, shake them to oblivion . I'm on Jess boxes now, with a P D tank, New Loom,
    refurb trans. Acerbus guards. I need a speedo refurb. I think I'll Keep her
  3. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, we need history pics of this one!!! STAT!

4. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 and I updated the list!
  5. dustdonkey

dustdonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. gary5410

gary5410 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found mine at a dealer in Texas ...... The shipper picked her up today and she is headed my way! :deal
    1981 R80 G/S #2619
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Oh....kewl paint job. More pics when you get her home.....please.
  8. Bluethumb

Bluethumb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, strange question, I know but here's the reason. I have a '83 ST that came with a HPN Rallye oil pan. Seems to me that this should increase the oil capacity, but it holds 2 1/2 qts. I'm wondering if it has the wrong dipstick in it. I looked at some different sites and have learned that there a different lengths of dipsticks, but have no idea what the length of the ST dipstick should be.

A deeper oil pan with a stock dipstick should end up increasing the amount of oil.
  9. Bluethumb

Bluethumb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I meant to post that question in the ST thread, not the G/S.
  10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    So it's not your standard pick up line?
  11. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    1st post updated!
  12. Happy Wanderer

Happy Wanderer Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer:
    +1 on the nice paint job. Amazing what these things go for these days. $9,995 on the price tag!

I noticed the way too long one piece continuous braided front brake line wrapped around the speedo bucket. I have the same (wrong) one on mine right now which I am fixing shortly now that I have the right parts. It gets pushed out backward from the lower most grommet with every compression of the front forks. Drives me nuts but it was a temp fix due to a collapsed rubber line on the road last fall. I'm putting the stock lower steel line back on and a Spiegler upper line from there straight up to the master.
  13. gary5410

Oddometer:
    Finally rode the new girl home! Sweeeeeeeeet! Whooooohooooo! My 1st time on an R80 G/S ....... I like ...... we will get along just fine! This is the 1st year of the G/S - 1981. 30 years older than my 2011 R1200 GS Adventure! :lol3

[​IMG]
  14. Happy Wanderer

Happy Wanderer Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer:
    That sure is a pretty one. Congrats on finding one which is not easy these days! Now don't get upset but BMW actually started making the G/S in Sept 1980. :huh
    Looky here: http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R80G-S.htm

I have a '81 G/S made in March of '81 but registered as an '82 because it was probably bought late in '81 and shipped to Canada from Salzburg Austria. '81 was the first _full_ production year but not the first year.
  15. BeardThrone

BeardThrone ...in bat country.

Oddometer:
    I think Solo Lobo has a 12/1980 serial number.
  16. gary5410

Oddometer:
    "G/S - 1981. 30 years older than my 2011 R1200 GS Adventure!" :lol3

Close enough for me!
  17. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Gary....now you need to replicate your avatar pic with the G/S.:deal
  18. GapRunr

GapRunr Well Known Hermit

Oddometer:
    Mine with serial number 2060 was built 11/1980 , which would make it an 81. According to RealOEM the R80 g/s was made in 6/1980, which I would assume were late year 1980 introduction, then manufactured again in 10, 11, and 12 of 1980 which would most likely be 1981 model year bikes.
  19. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Looks very nice. :clap

I have the same can on my track bike (99 sv650) - how's it sound on a boxer?
  20. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Production year versus Model year

The simple answer is that the 1981 R80G/S was an early production (built earlier in 1980 than perhaps normal) of the model year 1981

Ford began building the 2014 Explorers in late January... there are no real rules for model year.