Ontario Ride 2012

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by tarzan30, May 30, 2011.

1. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    you should be a gps pro by then.....:lol3
  2. sailer

sailer trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer:
    later in year gets my vote

Quebec get my vote as well.

but just give me a time and place and i will be there :deal
  3. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in for whatever y'all decide!!!

But my 2 cents.

I do like the idea of moving the rally,, as the name implies.

Also like the idea of getting the gear hauled, not a deal breaker either way but hauling everything seems to slow me down. :evil

However the organizers do it, make sure it doesn't become a chore. This makes it less fun for you. Leave some of the responsiblity on the individuals,,,, camping reservations,,etc.
  4. 280racer

280racer AKA: WrongTiredGuy

Oddometer:
    Whatever, wherever, whenever...
  5. sailer

sailer trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer:
    If I may add my two cents...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I think hauling camping gear/personal gear just weighs down the bikes, making off road riding even that much more difficult, so I would say a support vehicle is a great idea, almost a necessity. I think that service could be offered independently of the organizers or hosts. A small fee of $15/bag should be more than fair for the service. Naomi did a great job this year and she should have first right of refusal to offer these services again if she so chooses. <o:p></o:p>
    If next year is the same exact route as this year, having a camping and/or hotel-motel resort option would be very doable. There were hotels/motels/resorts within 3 miles of both Black Donald and Silent Lake. <o:p></o:p>
    If the rally gets moved to a different location, I don't think finding similar camping and hotel-motel accommodations would be too difficult. If the organizers/hosts of the 2012 event can find a stop over location that has both camping/hotel-motel options with in a close proximity of each other, I feel it should be the responsibility of each individual rider to make the proper accommodations. <o:p></o:p>
    I think that the campers can communicate amongst themselves in their own group and make their own reservations, and the non-campers can create their own committee that sets up a group rate and makes the reservations for the hotel/motel option, leaving the organizers/hosts able to focus their attention on the route. <o:p></o:p>
    Side note about the schedule and how it effects camping/hotel-motel accommodations: it might be easier and less expensive to find these accommodations for large groups on non-holiday weekends. I for one had to book 2 nights at Silent Lake, even though I only used one, because they had a 2 night policy for holiday weekend reservations.<o:p></o:p>
    As far as an entrance fee or route fee, I think in exchange for signage on the course included with a route sheet (that could be fed into a route sheet holder), and in addition to GPS tracking option that was offered this year, a fee is acceptable. I personally would be happy to pay a $20 fee to have better and redundant navigational assistance. <o:p></o:p>
    The proceeds from this fee could be used to cover the expenses such as signage, supplies for route sheets, and gas to have host organizers/volunteers pre-ride the course.<o:p></o:p>
    All of the above are just simple suggestions, humbly made by someone who has never done any of these events before. But, for the record, whether some or all of these suggestions are offered next year, I will be there!! <o:p></o:p>
  6. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    FYI...The memorial day weekend is not a holiday here actually...the only reason we able to book for such a large crowd. And as far as the yurts, i beleive they have a two night minimum for those always.
  7. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    i'm mixed on the whole support truck thing. if this is truly a 'rally' where the idea is to haul ass between point a and point b for a certain period of time (3 days, 1 week, etc) then sure i guess it is just a supported ride. a la dakar (i'm not suggesting we race or it is a race).

if the idea is to showcase portions of the TCAT and how it is doable for the long haul (6-8-10 weeks as deadly99 estimates) then it should be done with full gear on the bike. after all, you won't have a support truck following you if you were actually riding the TCAT.

for me there are plenty of 1 or 2 day events where i can trailer either of my bikes and gear and rip for an entire day or two, camp, and then go home. this was my first 'extended' off-road (partially) fully-loaded trip and it provided me with a glimpse of what was possible.

either way, i'll stayed tuned for the Roaming Rally v2.0 details because it can only get better every time.
  8. 4badboyz

4badboyz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nope.. just gonna bring a smaller bike and tuck in behind you Sean:D:D:D

One lesson I'll take away from this trip is not to overpack. I brought WAY too much crap. 90% of it didn't even come out of the bag. If it wasn't for the chase truck haulin my gear for me, I'd still be at the bottom of one of those ponds:huh
  9. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:

This year was complete luck that Naiomi wanted to go and meet you f'rs... Having my truck here was because she was not up to speed to ride this comfortably... Having said that, she had the best time interacting with you all. At the moment she is quite excited to be the support for this next ride. Having a bigger trailer or an enclosed trailer would be more sweet. That will happen as that little trailer was to support me!! Even a rented u-haul trailer.

my 2cents.. getting a campgrnd with hut or hotels great... Hotel somewhere else to the campgrnd creates "us and them".... That should not happen. As there is only US in this ride. There was a huge gathering around the fire Sat. night and everyone made it by to visit the party. That wouldn't happen having a hotel down the road...

Maybe... we could meet at "X" throw your gear on the vehical then ride to "said" campground/hotel, the next day do a loop and return to said campgrnd. This way we are not spending a pile of energy tearing down camp and setting it back up.

There are a pile of men here that have said to Naiomi that they wish there wife would do what she is doing. Staying at one site for two nights, could possibly intice them to come along. Even if they don't ride, maybe the resort could have something in it for them to make them look at the opportunity to come along.

the higher powers will decide........ just saying.....
  10. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you read the story..... 2km 4hrs...... oh ya ---good gps to follow... :lol3:lol3
  11. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    Self contained is my opinion, as well. These are motorcycle events to be arrived at by motorcycle. Granted, other folks have good reasons they need to trailer their bike. But for me, I like to ride there and ride home. It makes it more of a *thing* for me. If I want to ride my 450X in the woods, I do it locally.

That's my 2 pence worth. :D (I'm heading over to England and Scotland later this week. I need to start adjusting to the currency.)

~ap

12. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    (the above is snipped for brevity in several places)

Just have to respond to this with some comments on how the scenario might evolve ..

As soon as money starts to be collected you need to account for it and have a bank account for it. This requires having an entity to register it under and a volunteer to keep track of it and account for it if required. Financial statements etc....

As soon as routes are marked and supplied in detail you need to start thinking about carrying insurance for liability. This means becoming a registered club with an executive that is listed in the club documents. The CMA (Canadian Motorcycle Association) has to be approached with the route detailed for them and they need 6 weeks to process it and supply the insurance. And there is no guarantee that they'd approve the route either.

We'd need to have a registration table with someone to man it and keep track of bits of paper and signatures. A lawyer would suggest a waiver and require people to sign that as well. Then we'd need people to start keeping track of everyone, people stationed along the route counting heads. Someone at the campground ticking the riders off a list as they arrive. Someone responsible to go looking for you after a certain time. Gawd, the possibilities to turn what really was an Adventure Flash Mob into an organised event are huge here.

And, also, as soon as someone starts to take 'responsibility' for the whole event and accepting money they become a target for blame. People start grinding axes and wandering around looking for 'someone in charge' to bitch at.

How do I know all this? I was membership secretary/rally registrar for the Ducati Owners Club of Canada track rallies for three years.

They are all great suggestions and a rally like that would be superb but it would have to be run by a for-profit business or an accredited club to do it properly and I'm not sure that's really in the spirit of what we had last weekend.
  13. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    As Stephanie mentioned: Adventure Flash Mob - that's pretty much what we had last weekend. And my vote would be to keep it that way.
  14. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:

Me, too!
  15. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:

I agree w/ Stephanie and Mike... If it is too organized, figures are pointed.
    "suggested routes"
    "putting your gear in a vehical is a favour" That should be worth some kind of gratuity. No fixed rate. It did work out for her on the present ride. thank you all who contributed....
    "where we meet is a suggestion"
    "where we camp is a suggestion"

Everyone is responcible for themselves..... I will not be part of any blaming that "could" go on.... I for one will help anyone that needs it, so will Naiomi.... expectations...ah..NO..
  16. skypilot

skypilot NOTHING beats a fresh set of knobs

Oddometer:
    YESSSS! Quebec and more TCAT is perfect. No time to work on my route up there now though because I need to go pick up some more freeze dried meals and lay out the camping gear and.....

17. skypilot

skypilot NOTHING beats a fresh set of knobs

Oddometer:
    I agree. If the book on the TCAT comes out we can say we are meeting at X hotel for drinks the on this day then meeting here the next morning. Start on page xxx of the TCAT book and finish on page yyy on Sunday. No liability, no worries, more beer and riding. Buyaa!

Someone better get typing, I WANT TO ORDER MY BOOK

18. tarzan30

tarzan30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My vote would be another section of the TCAT. Roaming was part of the fun but could still be acomplished from first night. If you have all your gear and ride to the first site loaded, you have run at least part fully loaded. the next day could launch and return to the same site. Bikes will be lighter wich could open up more tech sections for people if they are inclined.

As far as the org of the whole thing, suggested route "TCAT" sugested tech, and suggested accomidations. The camping for me was one of the best parts, mind you i did stay in a Yurt one night! The campfire chats and cooking was truly a part of the TCAT test. You will need to camp at least a few weeks to do the TCAT imho.

If we start to organise this with more detial other than support we will get into issues and insurance. You will need sweeps and head counting. This ride was perfect. If it was organised Nolan would not have been able to run day 1 and part of Day 2 into the night without causing stress to the "organisers".

Qubec is fun. Great roads, great food, small language barrier but that still happened from both sides of the boarder! HAHAHA.

It may be better a little later, Northern qubec is pretty chilly and possibly wet until June or later.

I had a blast, i will be there to see all you guys and girls next year!
  19. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    Most people brought way too much crap IMO.

I had no problem packing what I needed on my DR350 without feeling overloaded. I had everything I needed for an extended road trip and could have stayed on the road much longer without packing anything additional. I rode some pretty gnarly tech sections and didn't find the load to be an issue, but I wasn't overloaded. "Light & fast", like Deadly said!

I liked the format. Would hate to see it change. I'm not interested in having my gear hauled in a truck. However, it is great to have some kind of support for anyone that runs into trouble. Another section of the TCAT next year, like Quebec would be awesome!
  20. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    Quite a few people are suggesting changes that would make things more convenient but take the thrill out of this ride. There were countless GS's with three big boxes and stuff tied to the top. There is no way you need that much 'stuff' to pull off a 5 day ride. The DR650 is over-sized but doable on single track as I had it loaded for this ride. The route was plenty possible for a moderately experienced 800/1200 with side cases and top boxes. If you are not moderately experienced you have a year to hit the trails and get that way or look for a bike more suitable. Perhaps instead of dumbing down the ride by making it one where the riders don't carry gear we agree to pack lighter.

I do not want route arrows because half way through the day I may decide that the route sucks and change things up. That is the fun of a "suggested route" If there is a signed route and someone is missing at the end of the day you would be angry if that someone is not on the route. As it is, that someone is responsible for them selves and if they are worried they will have a spot tracker.

I am against a published hotel option. Riders had that option for this ride. If they were worried about being cold and wet at night they could have made reservations at one of the nearby hotels under their own initiative. As has been mentioned already, the group conversations around the camp fire are part of the experience. This ride cost quit a bit already, lets not alienate people by making it too expensive to participate.