The G650 GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LarryGee, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    Yup, this is the "hot start issue" which effects some of the early G650 engines, its fixed under warranty

Here is the bulletin: http://www.gravesurrounds.com/bike/hotstart.pdf

To quote another inmate "Basically, your engine number should be 61712400 or greater. If your engine number is less than the above, insist on the bulletin to be complied with before taking delivery. If the number is 61712400 or later, you are good to go." You can find the number on the engine case below the shift lever.
  2. Nickcamera

Nickcamera Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]now that the Chaos in boston is slowing down I want to share this pic with you guys. I'm a member of the press and was working nonstop from just minutes after explosions. How do you get around the city very fast during moments of chaos you ask?? 09 bmw g650gs!!! I was able to pack my $15,000+ photo gear in my BMW boxes with confidence and zip through the city from scene to scene. A reporter for FOX news tweeted this pic of me, my beemer and camera gear.
  3. greying

greying Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well how interesting is that. I specifically asked the service manager before buying if there was any startability issues with these bikes. It really sucks because I am 250 miles away from the dealer. My number is 60912603. Thanks for the bulletin. I will follow up.
  4. greying

greying Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the feeling, I still have snow in back yard! Soon, it will all be gone, gone, gone.
  5. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that, Ive got 12,000km with no issue, but mine is a latter number. Rest assured after the warranty is completed you'll have to issues.
  6. reenmachine

reenmachine Rain or Shine

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the bulletin -- I don't think anyone has before, or perhaps I missed it.
  7. greying

greying Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just spoke to the service manager and he told me there were no bulletins associated with my bike. He says it is likely the battery needing a charge. I always have the bike on a battery tender when at home so I always leave with a full charge. He claims that you need to ride at 4000 rpm for 1/2 hr or so to replenish the power used up for start. I am not a mechanic but... Anyways, since he was not familiar with the bulletin, I sent him the details. I am curious though, if I have a no start and called roadside, would they bring my bike to the closest dealer which is about 200 miles away but is not the dealer I bought it from. It would be Newmarket BMW. Having a BMW is a learning experience :)
  8. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    Yes, roadside assistance will take it to the nearest dealer. Insist on getting the work done before you have to resort to that though, or use it to get the bike from your home to the dealer to get the fix done they should have done in the first place.

Do keep an eye on the OEM battery if you keep it though. It's not a sealed type so you have to keep it topped off somewhat regularly -- I learned this the hard way. Now I'm running a LiFe battery from Ballistic and it's awesome.

[​IMG]
  9. greying

greying Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, the little red battery does the same as the original? Does it have enough reserve and cranking amps to do the job? Where did you pick up that battery?
    I am going to wait and see what the service manager says. If he wont do it, I will have to beg another dealer I guess. I have no idea how BMW is to deal with.
  10. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    The little red battery whoops the original's ass by every measure. Here's the post from when I put it in:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20357551&postcount=608

And here are the details:

http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/8cell.php
  11. greying

greying Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well after a few emails and phone calls... The service manager called and said yes there was a fix but did not know why it does not show up as applicable for my bike when it obviously is. We just have to set a time when I can get it there for him. I suggested he gets the parts first so that I am not held up too long. I will look at the battery after.
    Thanks for your help, without it, I would have been sluffed off.
  12. PhillyTransplant

PhillyTransplant Indiana Jones

Oddometer:
    Electrical question:

Does anybody know what color wire is the hot come from the high beam in the switch?

Background: I'm installing some aftermarket lights on the wife's G650 and I want to run them on the High Beam switch. (So when the high beams are on so are the running lights.) I'm using a relay and all the essential stuff, it's just how I wanted it wired.
    But I'm not sure which wire is the hot one.
    If anybody the service manual, or perhaps has torn theirs apart and just happens to know, damn it would be helpful.
  13. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    from the Dakar wiring schem I have it looks to be the white wire.
    I'm in the process of adding lights to mine so will know for sure in a day or two but from the schematic, that's what I'd be looking for.
  14. matloik

matloik kludge

Oddometer:
    I was curious about this with regard to my wife's 2011. We have not yet experienced the hot-start issue--the bike fires up, but does take 2-3 audible 'cranks' of the starter motor, so I wondered if this extra strain was because the decomp is not sufficient. I checked her engine #: 63510624 so that is bigger, but it's odd that the VIN sticker's MFD number is 1110. Does '1110' mean manufactured November 2010? The Bulletin states the issue should not affect those after mid-June 2012. Hmm.
  15. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    The engine cranking a couple of times before firing is normal. I believe the ECU makes it wait through two revolutions before sending a spark (the number might not be right, but I read about the concept in general somewhere in this thread a while back when wondering the same thing).
  16. matloik

matloik kludge

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. It's odd though that the engine number is so high but it's a 2011.
  17. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    Same here. Mine's a 2011 and my engine number is 64110737.
  18. greying

greying Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. GordyMN

GordyMN b00n-E

Oddometer:
    Question - Picked up an 09, factory low for the wife. Would like to restore back to stock ride height.
    Does anyone have info on doing this ? I imagine the rear may be just the links, but the forks I have no clue. They are not dropped in the clamps.

Thanks for the help !
  20. SNAPGADGET

SNAPGADGET Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2012 G650GS had the hot start problem. I took it to the dealer, and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. I came home and printed off the information I got on this site. after giving the imformation to the dealer, they ordered the parts and made the repair. When you go to the dealer, take this imformation with you. There is no official recall on this problem. My dealer said it falls into the grey area. Thanks for the heads up!!! :clap