Gaerne Balance Oiled and Balance Pro Tech Boots Review

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Brtp4, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Savk

Savk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a pair of Gaerne balance oiled boots but haven't gotten them yet. Do most of you guys use riding pants that tuck in or wear over the boot pants? Which seem most comfortable with these boots?
    I'll be using the for trials bike and mx enduro riding...
  2. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    I just tuck in but I guess it don't matter....................
  3. Mr Dual Sport

Mr Dual Sport Is no longer on ADV

Oddometer:
    I wear over the boot pants with mine. Helps keep water from getting in the top of the boot.
    I've had mine for 2 years and over 20,000 miles of abuse. Still very waterproof and feel like slippers! Love them!
    Kinda stink though...
    Brian can attest to that!:lol3
  4. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lost a snap do they sell them?
  5. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. Snap a pic and contact us in the AM.

BP
    Atomic-Moto
  6. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks i'll do it
  7. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both. I have huge calves, so they work ok with leathers tucked in, but otherwise, with knee/shin guards, I'm using OTB pants.
  8. bwThumper

bwThumper n00b

Oddometer:
    Are these boots made to allow kneeguards to fit inside the top?
  9. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Most normal sized knee guards will fit. Exceptions are OS hinged guards, or people with large calves. What guard do you have, and what is your calf measurement?

BP
  10. bwThumper

bwThumper n00b

Oddometer:
    My calf is 14.5 inches and I have Thor Force Kneeguards.

I'm not a professional rider at all. I won't be doing any kind of jumps, just trails through woods and down ATV trails. Not so much along fire roads and gravel roads and no street riding.

However, I do end up going faster than I should and find myself out of control at times so I would like good protection.

I do love the look of these boots but am unsure of the level of protection they will have. More than my current worn out boots, I'm thinking.

Thanks for your quick reply
  11. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    For that kind of abuse, I'd think you'd be a whole lot happier with a full on MX boot. My SG-10s are all-day (including walking and sitting around the campfire) comfortable.

The Balance Oileds are my commuting/touring in the rain, wear all day walking around at work because I forgot I had them on, take a few dirt roads on the way home, boot.
  12. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    BW, the calf circumference is not an issue, but those Thor guards are quite large.

Additionally, it sounds like most of your riding is off road. For dirt riding, the best choice is really an MX boot. Please note that your boot model choice should NOT be driven by your level of aggression, it should be driven by the type of terrain you ride. Whether you ride fast or slow on rocky terrain....it is the rocky terrain that you are protecting yourself from.

Often, I see people categorically dismiss MX boots, because of bad experiences with a particular model (usually a price point one, some can be like bricks). BUT, there are some MX boots that are quite comfortable,. Generally speaking, it is best to wear as much boot as you can tolerate.

If you want, PM me your phone and I will call you with some suggestions.

BP
  13. bwThumper

bwThumper n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you, thetable and BP. Those are the answers I needed.

I'll message you, BP.
  14. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    Heads up for those who have the oiled boots .CHECK the screws on your buckles. !!.
    I just had a screw fall out on my way home tonight. ( it got caught in the strap so I didn't loose it )all the screws on both boots were loose.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. bwThumper

bwThumper n00b

Oddometer:
    Locktite
  16. ChuBrocka

ChuBrocka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have an opinion of the Garne Balance Classic? Looks like they're the same as the oiled except they're made with black microfiber instead of brown leather. I don't know much about microfiber in boots. Would this make a significant difference in any way?

I had a pair of G-Adventures for most of last season. I was very happy with them, but after about 3000 km the waterproof liner was fraying in a couple of spots. I have refund and am looking for a possible replacement. The Balance Classics caught my eye because I want black boots which is what put me to the G-Adventure over the Balance Oiled; however I like the stitched sole over the glue use on G-Adventure.
  17. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Chubrocka,

To us, the black color of the Classic looks great, but it is actually made from Lorica, a microfiber material, not leather. Lorica has some great applications, but on a design with such large panels, we prefer leather, it is more durable and supportive. It is still a really nice boot, but IMO the Lorica version loses some of the function and appeal compared to the Oiled. Of course, YMMV.

Hope that helps.

BP
  18. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I have over 4,000 miles on my oiled's and 75% of that in hard rain and they perform as new,the best boot I have had in 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. jwhuls

jwhuls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both the S12 and the oiled balance.

The balance have very little in structural support. Like most adventure/road boots. As a mater of fact, I dropped my XT1200 on my ankle a few weeks ago, riding in ice. I was lazy and put on the balance. I still have a slight hitch in my giddyup.

But that is the sacrifice.

I love the balance. They are sooo comfortable and totally waterproof. Way more that any real hiking/work boot I have owned. I have, a few times, put them on instead of regular boots. because I know I will stay dry. I can hike miles in the balance boots. They are perfect for adventure/road riding and trail maintenance days. . But maybe not for ice riding and other extreme riding. That is what the S12's are for.

i give a 100% recommendation on the Oiled Balance with two years of hard use.
  20. Dkizerian

Dkizerian Honky Lips

Oddometer:
    I broke down and ordered myself a pair of the balance oiled's yesterday, I had tracking info within about an hour, and the boots will be here tomorrow. Even if I end up not liking the boots, you gotta love the fast shipping!

I'll post a follow-up once I've tried the boots.