World of Tanks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by OConnor, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Big Bird 928

Big Bird 928 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok, so I installed the Roughnecks mod, and it only seems to partially work. Following the directions it does not install completely for me, 3 tries and no joy. I guess I get to wipe WOT and try another mod pack.
  2. DomEOD

DomEOD 'murica

Oddometer:
    AIO mod is working very well for me. Added a sound mod on top of that as well. Made the game much more enjoyable for me.
  3. DomEOD

DomEOD 'murica

Oddometer:

I've been aiming for the T110E4. Did you end up there or with the E3?

I feel that once I get the big gun, I'll really like it. Only 5k xp until that which I could knock out tonight easily. Upped the engine already and that helped a little. Much more driveable.
  4. Audaciter

Audaciter Long timer

Oddometer:

I ended up with the E4. Generally speaking, I can't stand anything that doesn't have a turret.

The E4 is a lot of fun. Bounces a lot more than the T30 did.
  5. Ebein

Ebein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, lvl 110 brits ( Lion II ). Level 90 US carrier, Level 80 US BB ( NoCar ), Level 80 German, Bismarck. lvl 100 brit carrier, level 70 jap bb. bunch of other crews, since I played that game like I play this one.

Im looking forward to World of Battleships far more than World of Warplanes.
  6. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    +1 :freaky

I have Leopard PT and have kept the IP because I enjoy playing it.
    I'm sure I'll sell the PT because the Leopard 1 is the same tank only better; I'll probably still keep the Indien.
  7. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Tried playing tonight despite clogged sinuses from the (well worth it) dust-ride on Sunday.

At the end, ended up with two tier 8's on my team that were deathly afraid of a single Tier 7 (the _BAD_ player, Gregor), while I was one-shottable, and solo on my side of the map save for an utterly useless SU-100 that didn't want to come up and help. I'll let you be the judge of my team's Hummel artillery effectiveness.

My Lowe teammate actually stated "Well, looks like a Draw" when he and the T32 were too afraid to take on Gregor's T29 with three minutes left to go. I had to rely on lady luck, take out who I could, and push in.

I gave up playing the game for tonight - not worth the effort with a sinus problem. I just wanted a good time. :huh

[​IMG]

Good XP though.
  8. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    This is worth getting out of bed and typing up for those interested in history I guess.

"The use of tank destroyers in the artillery support role [firing as artillery] during the North Africa campaign spurred Allied Forces Headquarters to inform the War Department that field commanders wanted tank destroyer battalions to improve their capability for indirect fire. A TD battalion had the same number of pieces as three battalions of light field artillery, and by the end of the campaign, TD battalions had fired more rounds in artillery missions than in any other role." pg. 70
  9. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Here's a replay from Papalobster......

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/K3BrVyV0vk4?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/K3BrVyV0vk4?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  10. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    every time I watch a replay like that I find myself trying to control the tank :lol3

not many matches for me the last couple weeks. Reckon I have time for a couple now while waiting for the sun to light up my bathroom so I can paint :evil
  11. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    Kinda boring till 6:30 or so. Resetting the cap against those 2 fellas in a little TD. I was doing fine till they landed one one my engine. I figured my Team, with what 4 tanks? Could have made it to cap.
  12. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    yeah that's some bullshit. I knew the GWPanther wasn't worth a shit after the nerf. Rarely hits and when it does it's for just a couple hundred damage. To further illustrate my point, I just direct fired into the side of an IS3 from about 50 yards and did just over 300 damage :huh

I'm done with that SPG.
  13. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    I played the M53 for a couple games, still liking it. Quite a ways to go before I get the big gun though.

Super P seems to have lost it's edge. Plays like a slow M46, but pays a bit more.

I have a helluva crew from my Stug, or I have a decent one in the SU-101. Thinking about selling the Super P and getting either the Jagd 8.8 or the SU-122-44. Thoughts?

And yeah, I've been patiently waiting for WoWarships too. I've enjoyed naval sims going back to the early 90's and playing silent hunter and the various Janes sims.
  14. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    My thoughts are that the German line continues to be not worth investing in over the long term save for their premium tanks. Between tiers 7 through 9 there are a few good ones, but for all the effort the end-game of tier ten sorta sucks. As long as you keep specific tanks / TD's (not higher tier arty) just for fun, it's an OK group of tanks to dabble in. I'd go for the 8.8 just to make more Silver.

I haven't played my Super P much, so I can't say that I'm selling it.
  15. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    You'd have won easily if you were firing AP.
  16. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Has anyone read up on this nugget of advice - to use regular AP rounds on the sides of tanks, but HEAT rounds (if that's your tank's Gold round type) for frontal shots?

I don't know anything about the reasoning, and haven't thought about it much.
  17. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    After the first impact, HEAT loses penetration very quickly as it passes through spaced armor. In general, tracks are treated as spaced armor.

Don't have the original source, but here's a followup clarification from ftr:

The penetration loss is massive. You need something like 700mm of HEAT penetration to get through the tracks of an E-100.
  18. we3

we3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Most likely for penetration reasons.
    I carry about 20 "gold" rounds on every tank for the times I need to send my very best.

Like when you need to reset the cap - alone - before help arrives.
    I'll switch from the 283 mm pen to the 333 mm pen and pray.

My problem is I carry gold rounds and there fun to $hoot.
  19. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    Maybe.....had I had a chance to stop and aim. My goal was to reset the cap and cries of That one bounced or they dinged us, doesn't do much to reset the timer. Using HE, I tend to do very little damage, but the damage it does resets the timer.

The rest of my team was headed for cap and I thought they could pull it off if I just reset ours.
  20. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Yeah, HE is the go-to for resetting cap more reliably. Sounds like you did right.