Chico, Ca Dualsport Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Bob Tosi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. LucasLeader

LucasLeader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's good to know. I would really like to make it up to the lakes. They weren't working on the road on Sunday, but I'd bet they work Saturdays. When we left from Skyway and Coutolenc at about 7:15, we made it to where the construction was at about 7:45 I think, so it wouldn't be too long of a wait. It would be a good idea to plan for good timing on the way back. I had to wait the full hour once, and that wasn't very exciting.
  2. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    Good info to know, should be ok as long as we leave before 7:30am:deal
  3. redog1

Oddometer:
    for Saturday? I'll be there.:clap :rayof :ricky :muutt DOH!! could happen. I've been known to entertain.:lol3
  4. Redline

Redline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you ever been past that point? If not, just be aware that about 1/4 mile up the road it gets pretty rocky. I wouldn't recommend it if you're riding in a group with big bikes (like a GS), but obviously that comes down to what the rider is comfortable with.
  5. LucasLeader

Oddometer:
    I've never been past there. I'm not sure who would be going, but if any big bikes go they'll have to decide if they're comfortable with it.
  6. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    I was hoping to meet some of you and go on this ride but I need more information to decide after the "rocky" warning. I have a GS Adventure. I have ridden it in some pretty rocky conditions but never in loose rock and never really nasty sections more than a few hundred yards long. I enjoy the bike on roads that a typical pickup truck would be able to handle but if it becomes a true 4 wheel drive only type terrain my bike is not much fun to ride. Does what you found beyond the snow get very loose or go on for long distances? I am only looking for an enjoyable outing, not an extremely challenging off road adventure. What do you recommend?
    Chuck
  7. Redline

Redline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chuck, here's a clip from youtube (no one I know). It gives you a pretty good idea of the terrain up there. Unless my memory is wrong, from 1:15-1:26 are about 1/2 mile past where LucasLeader took that picture.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oNUmRqiOAF4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oNUmRqiOAF4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

There are a lot of roads in that area where a GSA would be fun, but that route would be a handful I'd think.

Jason
  8. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    That U tube is totally do-able. Great slide show Lucas! I just watched it! Dont know if I can make it this weekend. Maybe Sunday again.
  9. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. LucasLeader

Oddometer:
  11. redog1

Oddometer:
    until I get there. I know there's a lot of four wheeling up that way and I've always wanted to get up there also, whether or not on the bike, I don't know. Could fire up the jeep, it's up in Magalia:D . Hey, if it's not doable then we'll go find someplace else to ride.
  12. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:

Ummmmmm strong in the force is this one:evil

If you go alone be careful.
  13. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that slide show. I have watched it over and over. The part described as just beyond the snow seems to be about the knarlyist section. Are there just a few sections like those shown on the slides- showcasing the worst or is much of the trail beyond the snow like that?
    Chuck
  14. Redline

Redline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's intermittent Chuck. Some pretty easy, some more like that. Like others have said, just go and see what you think. You can always turn around. I didn't post about the rocky sections to dissuade anyone, just trying to give a friendly heads up.

Cheers...Jason
  15. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn the torpedos! Full speed ahead Captain!

Still havent figured out if I can ride this weekend. Dang I want to though:lol3
  16. redog1

Oddometer:
    You know where we'll be meeting. Hope to see you, would like to meet you, you're all over ADVrider:lol3
  17. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:

Its childhood hyper activity surfacing late in life:lol3
  18. LucasLeader

Oddometer:
    So who is in for Saturday? Let's get a list so we don't leave anyone behind. I'll be at Skyway and Coutolenc at 7:00am. I plan on heading for the lakes, and it sounds like a couple of other people still want to give it a shot.
  19. lowx

lowx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be there. Only 10 min away. I get to sleep in til 6.
    Blue DRZ400
  20. redog1

Oddometer:
    see you in the AM.
    red, '09 KLR650