UAE ADVriders unite !!!

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by Vicks, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    I did ride the 990 quite a bit off-road but it was a pig in the dunes. At almost the same weight (if not heavier) and lesser hp, i can only guess that the F8 would be a worse pig in sand. A 650 dual sport will be better than the F8 but still a handful in the steep dunes and soft sand...

I bought my 530Exc primarily with the intention to participate in rallies... so, it wasn't just because i wanted a lighter bike.

whoa man, thats a pretty well set up bike, why're you selling it ?

anybody buying that bike is defn. gonna have a beaut ....
  2. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
  3. Hambone70

Hambone70 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't pursued the Suzuki, as I found a good deal on a BMW R1100RS on Dubizzle and got distracted buying it!

I am still interested, though, and will get to Musaffah soon to check it out.
  4. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I'm not able to ride while here but finding good places to eat has been a challenge.

Where are your favorite places to eat in Abu Dhabi?
  5. sandiego

sandiego Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I miss riding in dubai and oman
  6. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Depends on what kind of cuisine you're interested in. There's an online magazine which will give you all the choices you need. Google "timeout magazine abudhabi".

cheers
  7. dolomoto

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'm very familar with TimeOut and their various editions in the region.

I'm more interested in what the folks who have been here awhile think about local places that aren't necessarily reviewed in TimeOut, Tripadvisor, etc.

As for cuisine, we're wide open! So, what suggestions do you have?

8. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    I love good food and i don't mean the flashy mega expensive places which sell over-priced crap. So, i go and eat at places like truck stops on the highways, the small corner place in a crowded market / industrial area etc.

- the thai place at hotel siji al-diar is good
    - there are a few mandi restaurants in the samha / baniyas areas (outskirts of abudhabi) serving good arabic food (not lebanese)
    - although quite famous, the "lebanese flower" serves shitty food IMO
    - few indian places (vegetarian) near el-dorado cinema serve good food but spicy.
    - couple of paki restaurants after the hardley ableson showroom on passport street (or is it called defence street ?) which serve good spicy food and crispy, piping hot tandoori rotis

apart from a few places located in hotels/restaurants, i doubt if i can give you useful directions/leads.

whats your visit schedule to AuDhabi look like ?

cheers
  9. dolomoto

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I agree about the Lebanese Flower, I was unimpressed.

We've visited a couple of spots around Tourist Club area (Bonna Annee, Maroush) and have been quite happy.

EDIT a few months later: we found a few places that we really liked besides the two above: Lebanese Mill (a rare combination of good, cheap and fast), Al Baghdadi (a block behind Lebanese Mill), and Bianco Rosso.
  10. paddyhannen

paddyhannen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gday all heading over to Muscat for work for next few months, I'm looking to buy a 690 or 950/990 ADV and do some big K's at end of contract, Does anyone have some knowledge I can borrow?( and probably sneak in a beer with((and of course a ride)))
  11. ThJ

ThJ n00b

Oddometer:
    hello everybody,

anybody here have any experience with the motorcycle scene in Qatar?
    seems to me it's mostly street bikes in Doha...

regards
    Thijs
  12. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Very few DS bikes in Oman for sale in the used bike market. One of the Muscat inmates was selling his well setup DR650 I think. Quite a few bikes for sale in Dubai/Abudabi though.

Make sure you have resident visa (Omani) in order to be able to buy and register a bike locally. A few Omani (expat) inmates have posted details about importing bikes from the UAE. Sift through the posts here and you will find the info.

Check with a couple of Qatari inmates on the forum (some have posted here too). The dirt bike scene is pretty big with guys doing some dune riding on weekends. You should get some riding done before summer (May). There's even a bike club/forum IIRC.
  13. paddyhannen

paddyhannen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Vicks im imprisoned in abu tubul but very keen to see how the nizwa ride pans out, can you post some details and stuff?
    Got any info on the tracks through the hills there, the boys here reckon there is an awesome track through the mountains
  14. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Well, you dug up an old post my mate !!! i'll have to see what details i have on that ride. Not sure if i had any tracks but i'll give it a look.

edit : here you go, this is the link to my ride report to jebel shams. Ihave found some GPS tracks as well. Do let me know if you need them and i'll email them to you.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800881

you riding nowadays ?
  15. pimvddoel

pimvddoel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Vicks, I'm interestes in the GPS track. I'm living in Dubai and looking for trips like your ride report. Shall I PM my email addres?

Cheers,
    Pim
  16. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    sure, i'd be happy to share the tracks. do le me know if you're planning a ride, i'll be glad to join up.
  17. pimvddoel

pimvddoel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sent you a PM with email address. More riding after hot summer. With mid-day temp of 40degrees C it's a bit too ambitious. ;-) We'll meet up end Sep for a nice off road trip!

Cheers,
    Pim
  18. Ernbo6

Ernbo6 Iron Butt Association No 48951 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dolomoto,.... I am inbound next week and have some suggestions for you.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...-Al_Arish-Abu_Dhabi_Emirate_of_Abu_Dhabi.html

The Al Arish is down by the FishMarket, in the Mena area by the port and one of the most interesting and cool places to eat.
    I also like going to the restaurant in the Marina Mall tower, there are two, go to the top one, it sits on a dial and as you sit and enjoy your meal, you get a revolving view of the Abu Dhabi skyline and Sheikh Khalifa's grand palace.

I also highly recommend Johnny Rocket's in the Yas Marina Circuit F-1 complex. Really great place to have a burger and maybe get to see some cars circling the track. On Tuesday evenings you can actually go out and jog the track or ride a bike on it.:deal
  19. pimvddoel

pimvddoel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    Anyone of you know where I can get nobby tires and crash bars? I know 2wheelers but they only sell the K60 scout and the Touratech bars. I would like to try something else than that.

Thanks!
  20. muddysoles

muddysoles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was at the KTM service center on Thursday getting a mate's 1190 attended to. They have knobbies in stock.