Half dome logistics...permit, camping, etc

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ThanatosF, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ThanatosF

ThanatosF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any experience using the Yosemite permit lottery system for day hikes? I'll be out that way probably late July this year. I'll be looking to get one of the 50 or so daily lottery permits they give out. I can't plan enough to reserve one sooner than a few days ahead of time.. Probably be in the middle of the week. Is it a pipe dream to nab a daily permit? Is it really THAT busy there?

Also, if anyone has done the hike off of a bike, I'm interested to hear what you did with lodging/camping. What worked best? Obviously I'd like to be as close as possible to the trail head to get an early start, but don't know the likelihood of getting a campsite in the park on such short notice.

Like I said, this is preliminary, but if its not plausible that time of year I'll still see the park but won't hike Half Dome.

Thanks for any info!
  2. kiwi_outdoors

kiwi_outdoors Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    late July is high season - good luck getting a permit

one piece of advice - hike SLOW when on the hill - its far more pleasant than fast
  3. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't help you on that permit item, sorry.

But don't miss Glacier Pt. ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. pebmr

pebmr Retired Marathoner

Oddometer:
    Did Half Dome in 2011 but was able to plan in advance and got a permit that way. I read that you can get them first thing in the morning for the next day if others don't use theirs, but no guarantees. I Flew out with my brother and then rented a vehicle, camped out of it for about a week, stayed in Yosemite Village in a tent cabin which worked out well, but I don't think you can get one last minute. (FYI, it was the double walled deluxe ones that had the nasty rodent virus-we stayed in a single walled one). There are some backcountry camp sites in the village mostly for those staging to hike in the next day-you may be able to do that.

We hit the trail before 5 am in the dark, and then summited late morning, and were back late afternoon. It's beautiful! You can get campsites first thing in the morning first come first serve, but no guarantees. We backcountry camped outside the park a couple nights, but I would not want to ride bike early morning thru the park-many signs with "bear hit here" alongside the roadway.

Another option would be to get a permit to come in backcountry from Tuolomne Meadows and then you could park the bike one morning, hike in and camp near Half Dome, then hike back out to the bike the next day. These permits are easier to get. Good Luck! Todd
  5. ThanatosF

ThanatosF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies guys. The thought did cross my mind to maybe try and get a campsite at porcupine flat or Tuolumne meadows. I've Google mapped it, but realistically how long of ride would it be from Tuolumne to the trail head to half dome in the middle of the night?