Mindless Drivel - Feel Free To Contribute

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Alcan Rider, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    A line in an old C&W song goes like this :kumbaya “Someday I think I'll take up thinkin' and try my best to understand...” :loco The genre alone should have provided a sufficient clue, but just in case it hasn't, it is a man singing a song about a woman who "done him wrong".:waysad But that's not the important thing about those words. What is, is the way they sum up the male's attitude toward thinking. :hmmmmm There is no sense in needlessly wasting energy thinking when none is required. :bubba Save that energy for important things, such as cheering on your team, or hollering out to the kitchen for another beer, or pointing out to the referee/umpire/official how and why he just made an idiotic call. :mad?

When a man is hungry there is no need to think about what to do. He grabs some food and eats. :dg Or, when that man is tired, he goes to sleep. :snore Again, no need to think about what needs to be done to take care of the need. Men just naturally come up with the right answers without having to think.:nod Women, on the other hand, find thinking to be an exercise that brings them some sort of odd satisfaction regardless of the end results.:jjen For instance, a woman, when asked for some sort of favor by a man, may respond with "I'll think about it". :nah Savvy men recognize that the most accurate interpretation of that statement is "It'll be a cold day in hell before I say yes to that one, Mister".

Thus it is true that many men's brains have not been used. At least not for “thinking”. It is seldom that a man will find such activity necessary. It is inherent in men to do the right thing reflexively unless the problem is extremely complex and the answer has serious ramifications, such as: If we find life on Mars, should we subsequently invade the planet and force them to install a democratic form of government? Or... is draft beer really that much better than bottled? :slurp And if so, why, and what can be done to make bottled beer taste as good? :dutch

As the song referenced above makes clear, a man will schedule his thinking for a time when there are no other issues to be attended to. Men support one another in these endeavours and perform their thinking as a group action, when all energy can be concentrated in a single area. This is why a small party of men, meeting in the back corner of a dark tavern, absent distractions, can solve all the world's problems before closing time. :beer

Sadly, women waste too much of their energy thinking, to no avail. “I 'thought' you said you would clean out the garage this weekend” a wife says to her husband. :ddog The fact that he has been promising to attend to this little chore for months without moving an inch in that direction has not made an impression upon her. Had she been thinking productively, she would have moved the TV and his easy chair into the garage, placing the two on opposite side of a pile of trash that has blocked access to her parking spot for over a year. :baldy And he, without having to think about it, would have carted that pile out to the curb before the game started.
  2. BARB

BARB Alaska Leather - Home of the Sheepskin Buttpad Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are thinking too much, Jack. Barb
  3. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Changing the subject...

(This thread has a subject??? :huh)

We who live here are accustomed to seeing temperature extremes throughout the year, but recently the notorious "climate change" has put past records to shame. A few weeks ago the Weather Underground website showed that Alaska has recorded a new record low temperature:
    [​IMG]
    Glad I don't live on St. Paul Island. Must be hard to get a vehicle started at that temperature.

The temperature at my place in Slana didn't quite compensate for that low, but it certainly eclipsed any previous December heat wave in that area, as this little weather station noted:
    [​IMG]
  4. LTR

LTR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's Global Warming, er eh I mean Climate Change :D

5. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    The more I see of the failures of our modern "education" system, the more dismal my hopes for this nation become. :cry An example:
    Last trip to Los Anchorage I purchased a candy thermometer, as I like to make flavored syrups and have grown tired of guessing when it is cooked to the right consistency. But upon trying this newly acquired gem of high tech Chinese manufacturing prowess and clever American marketing, it was discovered that water now boils at 195°F rather than the 212° that was the rule back when I was a youngster. And for those who insist upon referring to my many accumulated years :gerg - Yes, fire had been discovered by the time I was old enough to observe such things.

To resume the tale - The thermometer had to be returned, as it was not going to accomplish the goal for which it had been purchased. Explaining to the young lady in the store (which shall remain nameless) that it appeared to indicate an erroneous temperature (NOTE: The packaging stated that this instrument was reliable from 100° to 400°F.) she looked it over and replied (intending to overcome my appalling ignorance) "Well, this is a candy thermometer". Not being too bright, I responded that I was under the impression that water boiled at 212°F regardless what type thermometer was used to measure the temperature.

It was probably to my advantage that the thermometer wasn't marked with Celsius, Kelvin, and Absolute scales as well as Fahrenheit, :deal

She was generous enough to refund the purchase price... and probably related to her husband that night a tale of the ignorant old man whom she waited upon that morning, who used a candy thermometer to measure the temperature of water, of all things! :huh
  6. Spousal Unit

Spousal Unit Concubine

Oddometer:
    It is most apparent that some unthinking male must have been asking some thinking female for something on Saint Paul , thus the cold day in hell was aptly recorded. :norton

Jack, I am thinking you are suffering from cabin fever, sugar overload( from your candied syrups), or perhaps a combination of the two?

The witness protection plan does have openings if you need to hide out for a while, I mean after Hay D reads this,.... man, pull up, pull up!:rofl
  7. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    All the above, no doubt. :nod

Sneaking out of town this very afternoon, leaving no forwarding address. :hide Trouble is, HayDee knows where that is. :thwak Luckily, her bikes are parked for the winter. :vardy
  8. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    I know this isn't the common sentiment about snow among most of this group, but I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY that we finally got enough snow so I can go backcountry skiing and not hit rocks/roots, etc. :clap Yesterday some friends and I skied down into the Ship Creek valley, through powder snow conditions that made the long, steep descent FUN instead of scary. Yeehaw! Sometimes this trail is hardpacked and icy and I have to use skins to slow me down or take my skis off and walk down some sections. We're checking out snow and trail conditions for our annual 23-mile Arctic Valley to Indian ski traverse trips. Conditions at the Indian end of the trail aren't good yet, so we still have to wait, be patient, and hope for more snow on that end so we don't have to hike out the last few miles.

This was our lunch spot. It snowed all day.
    [​IMG]

This is where the trail first encounters Ship Creek. From here we either ski up the creek or stay on the trail. Look at all that virgin, untracked snow! I was starting to get a little depressed, but this sure perked me up.

[​IMG]

If anybody wants to go skiing - let me know. Hopefully backcountry conditions will stay good for a while.
  9. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Oww! OUCH! Damn! :patch
    I wish you’d quit stickin’ them pins in that little doll! :bluduh
  10. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    WTF? HayDuchessLives deleted her post & pix of her & her friends running amuck in Vegas? :ddog
    That just ain’t right. Especially since she told me to '”have creative fun” with the pic.
    Good thing I still have the email notification with all the text & the pix so it can be reposted or quoted. :evil
    Well, I’m not sure what ‘creative fun’ I could have with that second pic like I had with the first one. Looked fun enough as it was.
    However it did make me think that she was in need of a new & more personalized avatar.
    Come on, Duchess, look at that thing.

[​IMG] :rolleyes A pretty sad statement. It has to go.

I’m sure gettin’ tired of seeing it & it seems like so many others have the same one for some strange reason.
    Do you want to give people the impression that you resemble a big hairy buffalo? I don’t think so. I mean I don’t think you want to give that impression. :uhoh Oh, I don’t think you don’t look like a buffalo either.
    (Really! I seen her in person a couple times.)

Along with a new & more personalized avatar I thought your profile also needed some updatin’ to more reflect your latest reality. I thought I would help you out with that so here is just the first part.
    I’ll send you the rest of it soon & I am sure you will agree with the changes. Especially the new signature line.
    :hide ...... She gonna kill me

[​IMG]
  11. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    TOM...THAT'S SOME FUNNY SHIT RIGHT THERE!!!:lol3:lol3:lol3
  12. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Wood ewe ex peck less? :evil :D
    Doncha thimk her High-ness should re-poster?
  13. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:

SHE MIGHT END UP IN A "PINK" OUTFIT LIKE YOU KNOW WHO!:huh BTW...WHY WOULD YOU CARRY A DOLL SKIING? (NATIONAL ENQUIRER WOULD LIKE TO KNOW.):wink::ear:evil
  14. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
  15. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of watching GRIZ eat breakfast one morning in Moab.
  16. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    This is probably hard to believe as there are quite a few "goofy" photos of me on this site, but I decided the photo showing me (and my friends) dressed up as Vegas show girls might have been a little too embarrassing, even for me. :shog I was trying to "dance for farkles" to see if Vegas would be more lucrative than Alaska. At least in the showgirl photo I didn't have my pants half-off! :rofl

The doll that I took skiing is Little Picu, the mascot for the company I work for. Little Picu traveled on one of our tugboats last summer, visiting numerous communities, and I posted photos of "The Adventures of Little Picu" on our Facebook page. It proved to be very popular. After the fuel delivery season was over I inherited Little Picu and our field guys didn't want much to do with the doll, so I took it backcountry skiing with me a few times and took photos.