The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep :thumb

Cheers
    Graham
  2. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    :evil

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bnY7HRPKykc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bnY7HRPKykc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Cheers
    Graham
  3. GStry

GStry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, enjoyed the information, great pics of the S10.
  4. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    I ran 20f / 22r in the Karoo(T)'s but I think I would have been safer at 20>22f / 28>30r while riding shit as fast and rocky as we were..

You are welcome, and Hi to both of you..
    Keep coming back because I have a lot more info to post soon.

Greg.
  5. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I assume you are talking psi.

I find that when over 2bar the front is not happy on rough gravel... it runs all over the place! Sort of unsettling.

Running 24 in the front now and the bike is a lot better. Should I air up for short stints on tar or just keep it mellow with the throttle? On gravel I find myself doing 90-100mph very very quickly.
  6. R3B

R3B Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Depends on the surface, on rocky terrain you better don't go to low, because you'll ruin your rims, with possible blowouts with tubeless, so keep it at 1,8 and 2,2 for such heavy machinery.

Soft sand and especcially Mud needs the cleaning effect of a flexing tyre, so go as low as 1,2 and 1,8. (rule of thumb; Halve your normal pressure)

The heavier machines, or heavy laden, put some more in the tyres, and vice versa, the Tricker (a 250) has On-Road setting of 1,2 - 1,7, and Trial bikes go under the 1 bar threshold, effectivily running on the springcombi of canvas and rubber :-)

Here is our Dutch manual, and here is what Google makes of it, beware can be hilarious english, because dutch has a complete different Gramatic

Be mellow, and regurlarly stop to check temperature, even on long gravel stints, if you cant keep yor hand on the tire for 20 sec or so, it is overheating, and you either slow down, or pump up. Tires should not get above about 90°C the rubber compound will oxidise much faster, and get cracks, possibly resulting in ripped of Knobbies...
  7. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have a S10 stevh0..? If so, good news..

Yes I was talking psi.. but it absolutely depends what tyres you are running.
    I am not sure how sturdy the Karoo side walls are compared to something like TKC80's.
    I felt that 20psi was ok on the front (keep in mind that these arent really big knobs) but still would have felt better at around 18... Too dangerous for the hard pack though..

Greg.

Message-to-self.. Air up and ride a bit slower.. This is not a lightweight MotoX bike:D
  8. R3B

R3B Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Ehrm, you better post those vids before you crash the Big Mamma, please ? :-)
  9. Tee Dee Mmm

Tee Dee Mmm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes checked my Co's tonight and both set to 0, the range is from -126 to +126 so a little area to play as you can always go back to the stock setting, this is the same setup as the TDM and it did make a reasonable difference to it's running. - = leaner + = richer

Cheers Rick
  10. sinex

sinex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Having only slung my leg over one before, and decided it was too big, I felt I owed myself the chance to ride one, so booked a test ride this morning, as you know, I won't be on the Tenere for long, off to Ducati multistrada, so I got no axe to grind, well,...............

What an Agriculture heap, a tractor!

so bad, I cut the test short and took it back, front end was vague, telelever was like a giro scope-it really fet strange and wrong, back brake was in an awkward position, front brakes soft, engine week (even T mode on Tenere is stronger), gear box nothing special, indicators different set up but fine, weight fine, size fine, build quality suspect, I don't know how they are getting away with it, it took my confidence away, where as the Tenere builds it.
  11. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Time to clear the air... You have mentioned this on quite a number of occasions before but not elaborated.... WHY go from the STen to the MS when you know there are issues??????????????:ear

Each for their own, just interested.

Greg.
  12. sinex

sinex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    having had about 8 Ducati's in a row, I am a Ducati man for all there faults, and yes, the Multi has several issues, all of which I am aware of in detail, Tenere does not have any really, and it is a very very good bike, it's I am a Ducati man, and had they have got me one in time, I would have been on that to Italy in a few weeks, they can't get me on one till October, hence the Tenere, I know I am mad or a Ducati marketing mans dream or dumb customer!
  13. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    You must have more money than sense, buying a new bike that you'll keep for a couple months. Party on... :norton
  14. Buckeye56

Buckeye56 Batoutahelius

Oddometer:
    I wish I lived near by, I would gladly take it off his hands. We Yanks are sitting on the sidelines hoping we will be able to buy one.
  15. rocca

rocca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about getting one shipped over? Seriously. Early signs are that the bike will be rock solid so parts support isn't likely to be critical.

The £ to $ equivalent price might put you off a bit, though...
  16. Buckeye56

Buckeye56 Batoutahelius

Oddometer:
    Yes that is an option. I have a buddy who has done that twice with the Varaderos. It has to be used (I don't remember how many miles) and there is a mountain of paperwork. So it isn't impossible, but I hope Yamaha will see fit to bring them in. I spent sometime on a R1200GS on a tour in South America and was very pleasantly surprised at how well it handled even with the 80/20 tires and how comfortable it was to ride all day. But I have had 5 Yamahas and I would rather get a S10 over the GS.
  17. cgwt

cgwt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk :lurk :lurk :*sip*
  18. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    With no slight intended to the Australian dealers themselves, but with what I've seen posted of BMW's GS series msrp pricing in OZ, it's easily bordering on corporate price gouging, absolutely insane ! The idea they're doing any country a favour, because a particular model manages to sell all they can build, has to have certain limits in assigning an inflated price tag. Guess what, the market's finally done it for you.

With Australian riders finally having a premium big bore adv alternative, to the formally rather exclusive GS line,
    I hope they get their corporate asses handed to them on a platter ! :mrskbasa

And hopefully Triumph will price their "baby Tigers" responsibly as well...

996DL
  19. Baillsy

Baillsy Lets ride

Oddometer:
    In relation to the mixture settings, i haven't checked mine as i dont know the procedure, however, the only fault i have found with my bike is a labouring type of vibration from the engine when accelerating from 3000 - 3400rpm that disappears beyond 3400rpm. This seems to occur in any gear. Whether this is mixture / tune related i dont know.

Has anyone eles experienced this? Maybe i should stat by checking the co settings.

I'm not overly confident with the dealer service dept. here in Toowoomba but will get them to check it out at first service.
  20. warnabrother

warnabrother .. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer:
    I reckon they had a good time.. they couldn't wipe the smiles off their faces :evil