2011 Husqvarna TE-449

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Pcfly, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:

You mean the green Camelt*e on the lower right?? :augie :flug

Sorry, back to the seriousness..... It certainly couldn't hurt! IMHO, I think Husky sales would go through the roof if they had a much bigger network and the best way to do that is to sell them right long side BMW's. It makes sense and given time I can see this happen.

Anyway, anybody care to tell me how the TE-449 compare to the TE-310 in power delivery and ridability?! ANYONE, ANYONE......:D
  2. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    This already happens at the Sunshine Coast BMW dealers.
  3. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Funny how people perceive changes to a bike??? Small improvements???
    Completely new frame, bodywork, fuel tank , 6 speed trans, hydraulic clutch, completely different suspension, (with linkage), wheels etc, If that isn't new I do not know what is.
  4. LRPct

LRPct Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Engine maybe.. the WHOLE ENTIRE rest of the bike... ? Not even close, a whole different animal..
  5. Pcfly

Oddometer:
    +1, If you seen one up close you can see how it's at least 50-70% different bike then a 450X. For one, it has a rear subframe that extends back so you could put a small rack system on it......not much of one on the 450X.

I'm still hoping somebody can comment on the differences between the TE-310 or even a KTM 450EXC and a TE-449. My intend is more for dual-sport riding and I just fell in love with the 449 when I saw it.

HELP!!!!!!! :D
  6. little_twin

little_twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I can't comment on the differences in power delivery on the 2, I can say that after much research and trying to decide between the 449 and the 310 I put a deposit down on a new 449 this morning. :clap

From what I read of others experiences with the 310 it's motor is more like a 250 than a 450, and is somewhat soft off the bottom, but likes to be revved.
  7. LRPct

LRPct Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 IMHO the 449 would make a MUCH better DS. Although in my perfect world Id have street tires on my 610 full time and a 310 for the woods and exploring around like I do so much now with the 610. The 449 feels so light just holdin her up though, I might have to replace the 310 with the 449 in my daydream.
  8. Pcfly

Oddometer:
    That's basically the same experience I had with the 310. I stalled it twice just getting it underway from the parking lot!! :lol3
  9. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    See what I mean:lol3

Up dated frame
    one extra gear
    new plastics
    suspension?
    Hydraulic clutch?
    Wheels?
    Fuel Tank, I like top fill better

Does it ride better??? I feel a test ride coming on soon:1drink
  10. LRPct

LRPct Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    whole DIFFERENT frame
    whole DIFFERENT gearbox
    all DIFFERENT plastics etc.. etc.. etc.... The FI is SIMILAR though.. :lol3

ride better? prob subjective. Surely much different, totally different geometry and wight distribution..
  11. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    I'd say the OEM suspension/settings on the TE449 are better then the G450X out of the box. Same kind of great traction, albeit the TE449/511 and 310 are coming with Karoo's as the standard equipment tire. Last long and will do great in gravel at speeds, not so good on rutted/rocky root type riding.

The transmission ratio in the TE is tighter overall between 1st and 6th. In off the floor trim the bike is good gearing for trail duty, but too short for any real dual sporting and when you get the 6th gear up to a safe 65mph cruise you have a first gear you have to be doing 15mph in to not have to use the clutch, typical Husky close ratio were are gonna race to the top of the alp and back and no overdrive needed. Would love to put their engineers out in the Desert or even around these parts on a 200+ mile day dual sport with the way they have the TE's geared.
  12. little_twin

Oddometer:
    I have read many of your posts here and on other forums and you seem to have a vast knowledge of these motors.

If you don't mind I have a couple of questions.

1. I read about your engine failure, and am curious if Husky made any changes to possibly beef up the bottom end. Have they increased piston life on the Husky?

2. What are the valve check intervals like? Do they seem to move often?

3. Any small obscure wear items that should be closely inspected with these motors on a regular basis? For instance my YZ450f SM bike was hard on timing chains, so I would replace them at 10 hours, or every other valve check after having one stretch to the point it would jump timing on downshifts around 15 hours.

I have read almost the entire G450 thread and these are the questions I was left with.

TIA
  13. Xcuvator

Xcuvator Justa Venturer

Oddometer:
    I agree, I think the transmission is where Husky is striking out. The only thing that keeps me from getting a 449/510 is the gear box. The fuel capacity is an issue, but not a deal breaker. Can't they see how KTM has been successful by offering more of what riders want?
    Why not a CR for the TC/TXC and a WR for the TE? They know how to build a WR, the 610 is a very good example.
    If they waent back to a WR offering in the 2sts, it would be nothing but good for sales as well.
  14. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    As for overall service interval, it would appear Husqvarna has a 6000mile/10,000km rebuilt interval recommended for the TE449/511. I am waiting for confirmation on that with the IT tech dept as there is a misprint in the table found in the owner's manual.

I found clutch life to be VERY good, at over 3600 miles/100 hours the clutch pack was less then 25% worn per the specs from a new pack to minimum thickness.
  15. little_twin

Oddometer:
    That is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks,

I cant wait to pick up my new bike next week!
  16. Pilbara

Pilbara In the flow...

Oddometer:
    Blatent post to both threads as it is related, any one have intel on the interchangeability of gears between the G450X and TE449?

I note the BMWs of HSQ guise actually have a 6 speed box.

Can a 6th gear be slotted into the 450?

Cheers
    Pilbara
  17. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
    Agreed, this is an all new design despite any inspiration or commonality with the old 450 BMW...more along the lines of how the KTM RFS series was inspired by Husabergs (after the former bought them and milked them for their fourstroke technology) and by extension the orginal Husky 510 the latter was based on!

I'm very curious to see how the new TE449/511 machines work out.
  18. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I have the feeling the six speed box slots right into the BMW engine. However, I can imagine though you need the COMPLETE six speed box, not only two gears and the shifting drum.
  19. kenaroo

kenaroo I am because i ride

Oddometer:
    Glad the WEC guys are winning but from looking at the results from Zip-ty racing here in the states.. the husky has been the DNF king of the desert.

David Kamo and Nick Burson had to push his bike to the finish at the parker 400
    think both has DNFed 4of the 5 national hare and hounds ..

best results here in the states for the Husky is winning the 2 stk national MX race a few weeks ago..

it the old saying goes.. Win on Sunday Sell on Monday. I'd stay far away from the Husky 449 until the pro's start finishing constantly on those bikes.

at least Jason Thomas is finishing well on the 250 at the GNCCs
  20. Stinky

Stinky Team Hematoma

Oddometer:
    If the bike is reliable and suits my needs, I couldn't care less about race results. I'm not a competitive rider, and I don't push a bike to 20% of what a good competitive rider would. I suspect that is true of most of us here. YMMV.