Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. HalfPlate

HalfPlate What? Where?

Oddometer:
    Got the deal done! I am now the proud owner of this old orange beast. :lol3 Anyone up for a Saturday morning ride at the TG......
  2. Hack

Hack .......

Oddometer:
    I know the question came up before and maybe I missed the answer but for what type of touring bike are you looking? ADV, cruiser, sport, Goldwing? Suzuki Dl1000 V-Strom trade perhaps :D Just wondering.

Guy if noone else speaks up would you be up for some BBQ here in Petersburg for the RTE? I'm going around noon. http://saucyswalkupbbq.blogspot.com/

I'm gonna check out the tractor museum as well. http://www.keystonetractorworks.com/
  3. Jeff Munn

Jeff Munn Just along for the ride..

Oddometer:
    Criminy, I could walk there from here. I might actually go to an RTE!

Well worth the cost of the ticket. I could spend hours in there. Make sure you check out the garage bays in the back where they do all the work. Last time I was there they actually had an REO Speedwagon truck in there.

jeff
  4. Jeff Munn

Jeff Munn Just along for the ride..

Oddometer:
    Drove all the way to Raleigh yesterday to pick it up. It is green, has knobby tires, and has a 675cc Kawasaki air cooled twin engine. :rofl

Anyone coming to RTE tomorrow in Petersburg can see it out behind my shop.....

jeff
  5. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:

Bet it doesn't have two wheels :evil
  6. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me. See you tomorrow.

7. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    how many knobby tires?

I could do lunch in pburg..
  8. Dirtmonkey8

Dirtmonkey8 VA is for Riders

Oddometer:
    My wife and son are going to NOVA for a cousin's first communion and since I am allergic to the traffic up there I AIN'T GOIN'! Therefore this is a great opportunity for me to ride in some nice spring weather. Now my wife, thank god she's not a lurker, thinks I am going to be getting a great deal of work done in and around the house so I am not sure i can pull an all day ride, but I will lay that idea on her tonight anyway and see how frustrated she gets. Hey. This weather will not be here long... My Tiger has not been out of state yet and I would love to introduce her to WV, if possible. Anyone have a ride planned for Saturday or want to rack up some miles with me for as long as I can?
  9. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking quad, or a John Deere riding mower/garden tractor.

Some the the Deere's used Kawasaki engines. :nod

10. bastardbiker

bastardbiker Lost in the Void

Oddometer:

Sounds like fun :evil

By the way, that rack is really nice! How much did it set you back?
  11. bastardbiker

Oddometer:

I bought land in Rich Creek VA early last year and am going back there to camp out and do some brush removal, raking, etc. as well as riding some forest roads. The area is lovely but my land is a pretty steep hill. You have to climb a big hill to get to where it's level enough to camp at the top (and I have to clear out more brush and leaves for space for another), but it's free. SanK is coming with and you're more than welcome to join in if you like. Rich creek is right on the WV border on rte 460. Dunno how many people I can really invite due to how rough the land is right now but pm me if interested.

Here's a video for anyone interested taken from the spot where I camp to give you an idea of what you're getting into. There is also a campground a few blocks away right on the river if you'd prefer that.

We are leaving Saturday evening and will probably arrive shortly after dark (4 hours out there on the highway). The plan is to leave back for Richmond monday morning or afternoon.

PM me if you're interested. Should be fun. If you look at google maps, there is lots of National forest to explore just a few minutes away. Also, groceries, banking, gas, etc are all within walking distance from my property as it's actually in town.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_dv6qks8how" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Don't know if you have that kind of time or if that even works out for your schedule at all but let me know either way :deal I'm going to try and get out of work on saturday early so we can get there while there is still some light out.
  12. Dirtmonkey8

Dirtmonkey8 VA is for Riders

Oddometer:
    That's cool. I was able to find your lot on Google maps by looking at your video. I have never been anywhere near that neck of the woods. Timing is not good enough this time, but I would like to try and explore that area one day. Here is some inspiration for your man cave. http://www.barnorama.com/house-built-inside-a-mountain-in-swiss-alps/
  13. bastardbiker

Oddometer:

Didn't think it'd work out, but yeah keep the idea in your head as I plan to go back at least a few more times this summer. I need to check soil depth and how hard the rock is, see if I can pick and chisel my way into my little mountainside without big equipment. Maybe later make some terraces or something with some of stone I cut out, try my hand at stone masonry. :norton
    I also need to spend some time looking around the area for good roads and interesting sights so I can get a feel for the area myself! I only actually went out there that one time in the video. The section of 460 leading into rich creek becomes extremely beautiful and twisty with cliffs and the river right next to the road. It's like entering paradise. Here's a picture from last year:

http://i.imgur.com/azJ3R.jpg

One place we're definitely going to check out is Cascade Falls, 69' with 200' cliffs surrounding it... Just 10 minutes off route 460 on the way! The appalachian trail is also nearby... http://www.gilescounty.org/cascades.html Will take some pictures and let you all know how the trip turns out.

Also, great link. I'm really into architecture and have a couple of books on building a house and homesteading and stuff. I'd actually seen the one concave house before but not so many images! Brilliant design. I really appreciate how little it interrupts the landscape. I have a few ideas I've been kicking around...
  14. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $140
  15. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stop making me miss Blacksburg. The cascades are pretty cool. I'd almost be willing to bet there is still ice on the falls. Too bad I wasn't into bikes when I lived out there. How much further is your land?
  16. bastardbiker

Oddometer:

10 minutes to 460 from the cascades, and then 20 minutes west just before the WV border. It's a great area. The prettiest part of VA imo.
  17. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the days this weekend, I'm taking little bike to the mountains. No real planning yet. Might go towards Reddish knob or further south toward Buena Vista. If further south, I'll ride Rt 6 west to 29, if north towards Reddish Knob then I'll take 33.

Anyone interested in going either day? I'll be on a 250 and I expect it to be a 300+ mile day. Nothing too technical as we'll still need to ride home and I haven't had this bike out for a bit. Promise it will be big bike friendly as long as you know how to ride it. I'll even help pick them up if you fall.

So who wants to go? I'm open to suggestions for destination if your going to be riding there too.
  18. higworld

higworld Cheeseburger in Paradise

Oddometer:
    P'burg BBQ sounds like a plan! See you gents (and ladies?) there.

:ricky:dg:thumb
  19. bastardbiker

Oddometer:
    Replaced my chain today. Check out that wear!
    [​IMG]

Also, my pet spider had babies! I'm a pep pep!
    [​IMG]
  20. Jinksy

Jinksy - Jinksy

Oddometer:
    Sorry man, I'm not good with these thread things. Better if you message me. I'm trying to get a HD Street Glide. I'd like to keep this too but makes no sense to have them both. I'm striking out selling this bike though.