Garmin 2610 for central america is OK ? maps for it ?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by ruedaloca, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ruedaloca

ruedaloca just me

Oddometer:
    Anyone can tell me if the maps of www.gpstravelmaps.com, specially the maps for central america, would work fine on a Garmin Street pilot 2610 ?

And BTW, is the Garmin 2610 a good unit to be used on central america, mexico ?

THanks in advance!!:thumb
  2. baja1kwinner

baja1kwinner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Garmin 2610 & I am heading to Lima at the end of March to pick up my KTM which is at Sea right now and ride it back to Los Angeles. I looked all over for a Central America and Peru up to Columbia Garmin download.
    Not anything jumped out from the Internet
    SO I call www.offroute.com FRED at 866 900 6277 Reno Nevada
    Fred rides a KTM 990 & fixed me up
    replace flash card in my 2610 [512mb] to a 2 gig card.
    install Garmin World Map so at least I have the major highways Peru to Mexico.
    Intstall a Garmin Mexico Map.
    Now I will search around to see if i can find a 3rd party Peru map so I can navigate in the back country.
  3. ruedaloca

ruedaloca just me

Oddometer:
  4. jlizarzaburu

jlizarzaburu Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    Ruedaloca,
    Can you give us an update on the GPS maps that you used from GPStravelmaps.com. Where you able to put all of Central America on one memory card.

Thanks,
    BeachGuy
  6. ruedaloca

ruedaloca just me

Oddometer:
    I haven't installed all the CA maps, I haven't need them at the moment. I can't say if they fit in the memory card. I think it wouldn't be a problem, CA is not too big, if you can load the maps for US, for sure you can have all CA loaded too.

My comments about the GPStravelmaps: maps are OK for primary roads, I was interested getting maps for secondary and dirt roads, but I've found that it lacks many of them ...even the accuracy is not too good going trough the panamericana road for example.

They are excellent help if you're planning to navigate over an unknown city, looking for an specific address. Calculate route is not the better utility over this map, it always choose the worst route :dog and I finished not using this tool.

If you want a map to pass all over CA trough primary roads you can find maps with this info for free on the internet.:dunno

I hope this help you BeachGuy :thumb
  7. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    Daniel thanks for the info on your GPStravelmaps. I am leaving <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Alabama</st1:place></st1:State> on Oct.25 for my house in Escazu. The last time I rode this trip on a motorcycle was in 1975, and it was a Honda 450. Young and stupid in 75’ now old and more stupid in 2010. I was planning on just using paper maps for the trip, however I do have a 2610 attached to the handlebars and might as well make it available as a secondary source of info.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I have search for free map info for Mexico and CA however I just don’t know which ones would be worth the trouble of downloading and try to use. It would be a real waste of time if I was to find that they are worthless when needed or if relied on.<o:p></o:p>
    If you know of any of these map sources please let me know.<o:p></o:p>
    BeachGuy<o:p></o:p>
  8. ruedaloca

ruedaloca just me

Oddometer:
    Hey Man, I was looking where did I get the CA roads map for free, but I'm not the best organized man !! :lol3
    Those maps are not the best in accuracy but it has served well for reference of roads during a trip over north Guatemala.

Maybe you can check this thread, I'm pretty sure I got it from one of the source mentioned there or look over the GPS and other darkness forum.

If you need any more help or more info for the trip ...let me know, I'll see what can I do.:thumb
  9. Supergringo

Supergringo Hablar, bla bla bla.

Oddometer:
  10. Supergringo

Supergringo Hablar, bla bla bla.

Oddometer:
    P.S. Those GPSTravelMaps are only slightly better than useless.

Find someone who paid for them and out of anger and spite, they will probably give you a pirated copy...

:hair