Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's....3,000 miles (and then some)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GP1152, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Candiya

Candiya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the wonderful ride reports and gorgeous photos. I just found this thread tonight and read through it in one sitting.

It made me feel...wistful. I fell in love with motorcycles while riding as a passenger on my boyfriend's Sprint ST. We spent a week in 2010 riding 2-up on Vancouver Island, including Victoria. (The Blue Fox is my favorite breakfast spot there.)

I got my endorsement and spent the summer of 2012 practicing on my CBR250R while my boyfriend was out to sea on the last deployment of his career. I made good progress and was planning on celebrating his return with our first trip over highway 20 to Winthrop on two bikes instead of one.

Unfortunately, it was not to be. He died in a motorcycle accident the day after his return, on August 22nd. In a "small world" kind of coincidence, we would have been in Winthrop with in a day or two of your visit.

It's heartwarming to see a couple share the journey and truly appreciate the time together. Thanks again for taking the time to post.
  2. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A buddy of mine that lives in Victoria was the one that mentioned it. We had also taken in once before. I think it was in reference to the actual ships being nicer, which, they are. We took the Washington State Ferry on the way back and it was perfectly fine. Probably take that again next time since it would be quicker to get to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sold the Monster already. Just haven't had a chance to change that yet.

4. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Candiya, words cannot express how sorry I am for your loss. I'm at a bit of a loss for words right now. I just really want to say I'm sorry. Sorry for your loss. Sorry your time together was cut so short.
    As you read in the thread, Stephanie and I are very close. We have no children, only each other and family back in our respective home states. For this reason, I DO value the time we share together probably more than most. I watch people go through their day-to-day lives as though it will be there forever. But one really never knows.
    I am glad that the stories I've shared here were able to bring back fond memories for you. If I may ask....Are you planning to go forward with some or all of that trip?

5. Aces & Eights

Aces & Eights GearHead

Oddometer:
    Cool trip and sweet bikes.

I have the poor mans version... DL650.

It's always sad to hear about somebody going around their last corner.:cry
  6. Candiya

Candiya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much, Gus. Yes, one of my riding goals for 2013 is to take my first overnight trip on my bike. A longer-term goal is to make my way down to the bay area. I grew up in the Santa Cruz mountains but have yet to ride there or Big Sur. (I enjoyed your Big Sur photos quite a bit.)

Probably the only road on my bucket list that I haven't heard you mention yet is the Highway to Hana in Hawaii. I'd LOVE to see the photos you'd post from that road!

Ride safe, you two.
  7. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope that when you do make it down this way to the Bay Area that you'll let us know beforehand. We'd love to join you.
  8. pumpe3

pumpe3 lazy Swede

Oddometer:
    Ridiculously nice garage, seeing this pics makes me have to fix my cave in the spring don't even have insulation now :cry
  9. PatSmith

PatSmith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will echo others comments. Great RR. I rode some of the same Cali, Oregon and Washington roads in the last few years, so it was great to recall some of my memories while reading about yours. It is still in the 40's here this morning, but I will go for a few hr ride after lunch.
  10. Aces & Eights

Aces & Eights GearHead

Oddometer:
    Well it was a long ride but you should have continued further north for some truly sublime roads with little traffic and minimal if any enforcement.....

maybe next time.

For me I dream of the DENALI hyway.
    Do or die 2013 for me....Gotta do it:wink:
  11. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey nothing a heated vest can't fix, right? :thumb

12. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's definitely in the works. Soon, very soon.

13. Dieselpwr

Dieselpwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having sat on a streetfighter this weekend at the bike show NY, makes your trips even more impressive. I couldn't see myself riding that many miles on that bike. Also sat on the Panigale. Now that's a 30 minute at a time bike. I was so leaned forward that I thought the back wheel was on a stand.
  14. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't speak for the Panigale, but the SF really isn't bad. I'm not a giant, but I'm not short either. I'm 6'0 tall and around 170 lbs and to me it's fine. Once you get up to speed the wind does a nice job of taking pressure of the wrists too ;)
  15. wldct69

wldct69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! Great ride report! Amazing pictures. I'm glad to see that all done on naked bikes too. I'm planning a short trip from Phoenix to Denver in March and its my first on my new bike. My last bike was a ST. Doing this trip on my KTM Superduke.
  16. mcskeeto

mcskeeto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i
    I rode 3500 miles around southern Europe in 17 days on a Superduke. Best blend of sport and comfort of any motorcycle I have ridden.
  17. wldct69

wldct69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that's good to hear! I know that the stock seat is as comfortable as they come. I can ride all day and I don't feel it in my behind. Do you have a RR and pics from that ride?
  18. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll love it. I know most people think touring on a naked bike isn't ideal, but to me it's like taking a trip in a Porsche, instead of an SUV. Sure one is more practical, but the other is a hell of a lot more fun!!
    Good luck with your trip!! Be sure to post pics.
  19. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Calspeed

Oddometer:
    Interesting how you mentioned the KTM SuperDuke. I just did a 1200+mile tour on mine. And this June I will be riding solo to Chicago. Its an amazing bike!

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401395

Miguel
  20. mcskeeto

mcskeeto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't gotten around to writing it up yet. I have all the pics downloaded and ready to go. It was a phenomenal time.