How is the Dempster, and where to stay in Inuvik?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by enumclaw, Jun 29, 2013.

1. enumclaw

enumclaw I just....don't know

Oddometer:
    The title pretty much says it all. Looking to do the road in the next week. Thanks for any info.

Rob
  2. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
  3. dungbeatle

dungbeatle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy and good luck, it will be epic.
    Along the road there are some camp sites and at the half way mark is Eagle Plains. At Eagle Plains is gas, food, camp site, cold beer lots of other travellers who can share whats to come.
    Many people will tell you to stay out of Fort McPherson but I did not have any issues there at all, went down town had ice cream and got fuel talked to some locals and left, was good visit.
    In Inuvik I camped at a local camp ground right in town, could walk everywhere I wished to go. Camp ground was a little noisy but no dark and things just keep going, it is a different experience. Camp ground has platforms and showers, is clean and has some level of security from curious kids. I never experienced any issues.
    If you stay at a remote camp ground look for sign of bear, torn apart garbage containers, logs ripped apart for ants, holes enlarged for ground pigs things like that, if these signs are present keep moving. There are a few highway depots along the road that can be used in a crunch.
    Once on the road people are usually more than eager to share with you where they camped so just talk to people.
    Take your time, it is a epic experience the change in landscape and plants is like watching a national geographic program so soak it in.
    Have fun, I will be going back again, it leaves a life experience.
    Last words, DRIVE SAFE you are a long way from help and sometimes hours go by with no other vehicle.
  4. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    Rode up last year to Inuvik had a blast. Was raining from start to Eagle Plains it was a challenge. I don't have a lot of experience riding dual sport bike.

Eagle Plains I remember hotel was pricey when I got there opted for a room.

In Inuvik stayed at campground in town it was okay. Could walk every where.

On way back road dry no problem. Set up tent on way back. I would bring a mosquito net that goes over your head some places they were nuts. Inuvik was okay was in shorts.
  5. ArcticNerd

ArcticNerd .....

Oddometer:
    Bring cash. I did the Dempster 2 years ago and got stuck for several hours at Eagle Plains. We had foolishly spent the last of our paper money, thinking we would just use the credit card for fuel in the morning. Unfortunately, the "lines went down", rendering our credit cards and Interac useless.
    The guys at the Eagle Plains gas station seemed to have been burned too many times with bad cheques and would not accept anything other than cash. Luckily for us, another rider had faith in us and accepted my cheque in exchange for some of his paper money and we were finally able to gas up and head back down to Dawson.

We found out later that the phone lines stayed down for 4 days!!!
    Lesson learned, always keep a stash of emergency cash on the bike.

The trip was epic and you will love it. The scenery is like nothing else and the fresh air smells fantastic. Be careful in the loose gravel and take your time. The recommendation to bring a mosquito net you can wear on your face while setting up camp is some solid advice. 4 bucks well spent indeed.
  6. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and I spent the night at the Nova Hotel. I think that was it, but its your first hotel as you enter Inuvik.

I did the ride in one day, so I was too bagged for a tent. Pricey hotel - $169 I think.

Don't hotel in Ft McPherson - I was told by a fellow rider $200.00 a night

Have fun
  7. enumclaw

enumclaw I just....don't know

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies guys. We may not make the run after doing the Dalton in the last couple of days, but do appreciate the info. One thing a local here in Fairbanks toold me, is to be careful of thieves in Inuvik. Anyone had issues with that there?
  8. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Dalton does not hold a candle to the Dempster. Scenery, wildlife, diversity of geology, less pavement, you name it. At least ride it as far as the Circle or NWT. I heard of theft problems but did not have any. A meal and a room at Eagle Plains felt like a suite at the Ritz after my rainy ride in.
  9. sue.t

sue.t Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Carry some cash with you all the time, enough to buy fuel at the very least. Even in Whitehorse, the "lines" can go down, meaning no debit and no credit.

The 24/7 daylight seems to bring out the little hooligans that can cause mischief and mayhem. Especially if your bike has non-Yukon plates on it. The kids tend to not harass locals but outsiders seem to be fair game.

Before moving here and gaining our Yukon licence plates, our fifth wheel RV became target shooting practice for kids with handfuls of rocks - at Ross River on the Campbell Hwy.
  10. aquadog

aquadog Dude Buddha

Oddometer:
    Engineer Creek and Rock Creek are government campsites, but both situated in major bug zones. If you can do without outhouses, picnic tables, try the gravel pits. Between being clear of vegetation and a big windy, helps keep bugs at bay. A nice spot that also has some breeze is the end of the airstrip north of the Ogilvie grader station, overlooks the river. There are some other sweet spots for out of the way camping.
  11. sue.t

sue.t Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Dempster was closed today north of Eagle Plains, due to a washout at Rock Creek. No estimates yet of when it will re-open.
  12. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    July 22, 2012 start RTW from Vancouver, B.C.
    This is a true epic adventure into the north. I would strongly avoid doing the Dempster if it has been raining. We made that mistake last year. The camp ground at Tombstone is nice with good hiking. We stayed at the arctic chalet just before Inuvik. A trucker told us it is the cheapest place in town. nice cabins with breakfast. We were lucky to see the porcupine caribou herd on our way down. Have fun. Back in Vancouver now for 4 months then we pick up our bikes Panama city and head to Columbia. There is a funky camp/hostel across the river from Dawson city too. The Motorcycle camp ground in Tok is Eagle Claw. Good Luck