2012 ktm 690 enduro R owners, any major problems ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by edra, May 13, 2012.

1. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Just had the bike in for it's 1000km break in service. All good except the rear tail light stopped working. Turns out the tab in the tail light socket for the ground wasn't making good contact with the bulb. Vibration no doubt. (see minute 4:20 in my vid link above haha)
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    75 HP,out of a dual purpose single? At the rear wheel? What might be required to have this happen?

Curious.
  3. Woundflatout

Woundflatout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have about 375 miles on mine now. I have the FMF Q4 with evo air box lid and running the Akra map. No problems with running the bike in full power mode (#2 position) but I was riding some technical trails and dialed it down to #1...and that's when the popping, farting stalling and difficult starting occurred. Back to position 2...no problems. Hmmm.
  4. Rooster6978

Rooster6978 n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking at a 690 I found a new 2011 and a 2012 new. $300 price diff. What is the difference in 2011 and 2012. And what is diff in the R vs the regular enduro
  5. Woundflatout

Woundflatout Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2012 has the same motor as 2010 Duke, so more power, an upgraded headlight and some BNG...I think that's about it.

I would pay the 300.00 extra for the '12....but I'm biased.

Cheers,

Jason
  6. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plus new suspension that is 1 inch shorter. Also new plastic and instrument cluster.
  7. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Hard to tell much of a difference from the ride. I have a 2012 and my buddy has a 2011 we did some back to back switching and they feel about the same running down the trail. His does have better throttle response but he is running a FMF exhaust with tune and a free flowing air filter as well mine wasn't broken in yet. As far as suspensions, they feel about the same and are set the sport settings for both bikes, 10 clicks, I believe, though I'm taller and heavier so my preload is different than my friend 2011. The 2012 has a better (subjective) dash and headlight as it has a big tack and easy to read speedo and a better (larger) headlight. If you go for the 2011 and PM NovaMoto he will can tell you about an awesome modification he did to upgrade the headlight on his bike. The 2012 may have a few other small differences related to the motor like the extra oil line running off the engine (?) Not sure about running down the slab, maybe the extra hp might be noticeable in the upper end, no idea though as both will easily cruise at 110-120 km/h all day.

Depending on your height you may like the slightly lower stance of the 2012. At 6'2 I can flatfoot either bike and don't really notice a difference. I have bottomed out my rear suspension jumping the bike and landing hard, I'm an novice rider so really just hope for the best when I get the wheels off the ground and lack anything like finesse to spare the bike any rough landings. That said on that particular occassion, and only time I maxed the compression, I suspect I would have bottomed the taller 2011 suspension as well.
  8. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did KTM ever deal with the tank bolt problem for those wanting to carry a load? Some ealier bikes had broken tank bolts and I hadn'y heard if that had been addressed or if an adventurer still needs to replace.
  9. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Don't believe theyve changed anything as far as tank bolts
  10. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Trust me man, you don't want to go there. :eek1

75 RWHP is 25% more power than the '12 690cc version makes (67 at the crank, about 60 at the wheel), and more than the 710cc Factory Team Rally bike as well.

You would need the 84.5mm stroke crank (all '12 690 or earlier Duke R), a big bore kit with custom cast reinforced cylinder (108mm bore), head work and high flow valves, bigger cam, bigger injector and custom tune, bigger throttle body, free flowing air box and a dual exhaust system.

This graph shows PS at the crank, yellow is with exhaust noise inserts, black without.

[​IMG]

Don't forget that you will need a stronger clutch to actually be able to put the power down. The complete 690 Rally clutch assembly will work, but the cover alone is about €1000, let alone new basket, pressure plate, discs, etc...

A cheaper alternative is the spacer to use the stock LC4 cover and the billet pressure plate made by Engine Art in Germany.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. LanceSA

LanceSA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had my 2012 for just over a month now. Done about 2000 km including one long weekend trip.
    Apparently there is not an Acrapovic exhaust for it currently. I took my spare Akra left over from my 2 into 1 conversion on the 950 se and fitted that and a Rally Raid foam air filter. It was ok with just the occasion cough and die.
    Then my dealer changed the mapping and everything went south. Constant stalling. The foam air filter was very exposed as I have installed thE RR tanks without the screen so I went back to the standard air filter and mapping with the Akra (can't stand the heat & sound of the std pipe) and alls good.
    Loving the bike
  12. Pantah

Oddometer:
    I have a stock 12. I've ridden about 1200 km including a 6 hour dual sport ride with a group. I haven't noticed any unique heat at the muffler. After you get the thing up to temperature all mufflers are hot, including the Akro systems on my other bikes. The only place I noticed the heat on this one is when I was wearing shorts and sandals while riding across town last weekend to install my Scott's stabilizer at my son's shop. Unprotected left leg is not a good idea. That left side header system will cook your ankle!

In any event, mine runs perfectly as a stocker. Idles and fuels through the range like a well-tuned motorcycle should. Never a stumble anywhere or a delayed start. Instant fire with just a touch on the starter button and no throttle. Still a little vibey in the mid 60mph range, though. Hopefully smoothes out with more km.
  13. okanoganJim

okanoganJim Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am right there with you. My muffler is hot, but nothing unusual. the turn signal is not showing any signs of melting. Thinking maybe they richened up the mixture a bit on the 2012 bikes. So far the bike runs perfectly. I am not seeking more power that is for sure. My only complaint is its a bit jerky on slow fist gear trails. I tried the Soft power setting for tight single track riding, that seems to smooth things out a bit, but still the bike does not feel in its element with slow going. My focus now with the bike is adding some small carrying capacity so I can bring tools, water, and tire patch items with me while exploring about. Ya Hoo !<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    :rofl
  14. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:

Anyone have or addressed the above issues with their 2012?

Excuse my silly question - but where/how does one get the Akra update?
  15. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    According to my dealer today-nothing available for the Akra on a 2012.
  16. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Thinking about adding a FMF pipe just to have something a little cooler running. Notice on my friends 2011 that the FMF and tune make a difference, better throttle response for sure, not huge difference but noticeable and improved over a stock 2012. I'll wait a bit on the pipe as there are other bits to add first and there certainly isn't a lack of power in it's stock form.
  17. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
    After much time searching/reading went with the Wings - any issues and I will report back but hope no map update needed, we will see.
  18. Pantah

Oddometer:
    I am struggling with where to put my tools/spares as well. For now I am using the KTM flip-off rear tail bag. It has the tool kit now, but plan to add an elec pump, Motion-Pro spoons, patch kit, portable jack stand and a few other extra's and spare levers. Prolly a tube too. I use the KTM tank bag up front. It's pretty big so I can use that for travel stuff.

I have a Wolfman rack and saddlebag system, but haven't mounted it yet. I imagine I could modify that to take a tool kit somewhere and the jack stand too.
  19. Maurizio

Maurizio 2 smoker

Oddometer:
  20. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    My experience is coming along nicely.
    My wacked out speed ended up being a fault wheel sensor. Swapped one out off of a demo bike.
    Speedo works as it should, Yay!

With the RR air filter and FMF Q4 Ti slip-on my bike ran stellar with the stock map.
    I am not sure what KTM is calling the performance map for the 2012 bike.
    I hear 'Akro' map or 'off-road' map, both used terminology wise.
    With the performance map my bike runs good when on the gas. But it stalls repeatedly on warm up, and occasionally at traffic stops. There are 'dead spots' off idle too.
    I am going to put another week on the performance map, evaluate it, and then possibly try the stock map again. Off idle stalling is not good.
    I may settle for the map that stalls less off of idle.
    My dealer has a dyno and I have thought of dynoing it but I get into a lot of expense running each map on the dyno.
    Does anyone have a dyno comparison between the stock map & performance map?
    I suspect that would be telling.

Likewise. I want to get fueling closer before I go adventuring.