XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Interesante! :scratch Will it telescope out your leg so you can reach to the bottom of the dip, or on the downhill side of the slope, to give you the length you need to keep it vertical? And if you slip, will it lift the bike up off your leg when you're pinned on the side of a hill? How about haul your bike back up the drop-off you slid down?

If so, then sure, no need for a smaller bike! :clap
  2. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Thank you for posting those coordinates! Now I see where you all are talking about. :thumb
    I'd love to ride that someday.
  3. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guessed it:clap BRILLIANT:clap
  4. KyoXR

KyoXR Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer:
    I was wondering the same thing? is the camera trying to auto focus? or on shrooms...

Hey, I understand...I was just looking for solid numbers on just the pipe because I keep thinking I would like to get one and am just trying to be smarter about upgrades.
  5. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    It's so beautiful there, Sr. Jota.
    I don't doubt you'd be freaking. I have ridden with lots of guys who are like :eek1 how can you go so fast?
    But then again, there's a couple guys I go riding with who I can't stay with when they decide to run.
    I like to move right along and think fast, but at my age I'm mostly concerned with trying not to get hurt in the process. In the same way I think some of those guys are taking undue risks, I expect many of the guys I've blasted by have thought the same about me. It's all relative, I guess... The important thing for me is to have fun while riding within our capability and slowly trying to expand our capability.
    :getiton
  6. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    Anyone faster than you is an idiot. Anyone slower than you as an a-hole :rofl
    I hear what you are saying, like they say on the street about the twisties "ride your own ride".
  7. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I just bought a copy. I cracked it open and I was reminded of being in college again. Darn there is a bunch of information in there.

Ben if you are looking for RSW triples to mate up to CRFX forks, I know where there is a spare. :wink:

I am so looking forward to trying my X forks on the L!
  8. KyoXR

KyoXR Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer:
    Here's 2nd gear:

[​IMG]

now to procure 5th gear...

and a new carb accessory:

[​IMG]
  9. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    We are riding out of Silverton the first week of August and plan to do BB, Imogene and all the others we can fit in. Come join us. I don't mess with my jets in Colorado. Sure a little less power but still plenty to get the job done. It's most noticeable on the highway in higher gears getting from place to place. Lower gear climbing and grinding not so much. This is Mosquito pass (13,185 ft.). Stock gearing, loaded bike from the TAT, went right up. Don't over think things unless you're racing. LET'S RIDE!
    [​IMG]

Another from the top. Got kinda freaky while we were up there.
    [​IMG]

John
  11. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite, I'll give it some consideration. My XRL came form Colorado so I figured it would be a little lean at my normal altitude (about 3500 feet). But it had a 58 pilot and a 155 main, Dave's mods, Q4, and opened air box. It seems about right for my local ridding and a little rich at altitude. I was having some issue starting at elevation, or I thought, so I dropped to a 55 pilot. I got quite a bit of popping on decel and have since went back to the 58 pilot. My starting issue was more related to the CDI. About the only nice thing about the CV carb is that it's not as picky with altitude as a regular carb. Which is the way they are supposed to be :)

(edited due to confusing my main and pilot jets)
  12. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to cut open the top of my xrl airbox for better breathing with the powerbomb header. My jetting is on the rich side, especially the pilot jet/part throttle where I do alot of my riding. I have the stock carb with Dave's mods and the stock needle shimmed. Is the cut open airbox top going to require me re-shimming the needle?
    I'm at about 5000ft up in elevation, and ride up to 8000ft sometimes, and am running a 58 pilot (a little big for my elevation) and 155 main jet (keihins).

The bike runs awesome, very sharp throttle response and pulls strong and clean everywhere, and starts with almost no choke needed (because of the rich pilot) and idles great.
    The plug reads a little rich tho, so I think the header and cut airbox should be perfect, but not sure if I'll have to re-shim the needle or not.
    I was thinking not, but if anybody has any experience with cutting open their airbox and rejetting for it, I'd love to hear your feedback :D
  13. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    My friend used to say it this way: anyone faster than you is a maniac, anyone slower, an idiot.
    Speaking of riding your own ride... I broke my shift lever in proving I could get past Marty. The feeling of victory was very short-lived. But the costly lesson lives on! :deal
  14. nic579

nic579 x

Oddometer:
    I will never know the difference as the bike was decapitated when I got it. It is exciting to have it all dry fit, now for grease and wiring the birds-nest up without the instrument cluster.
  15. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did, but that was a LONG time ago!:D
  16. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was a Contour Roam. Somebody posted an Amazon link awhile back and it was only 70.00!
  17. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Neither of those mods should require any further shimming of the needle. My advice is to make the changes in steps then analyze how it runs after each. That gives a better feel for what changes really occur for each step, plus as much as these changes are interactive, sometimes they balance each other out in some ways.

A 58 pilot is rich for low altitude, much less for 5-8k. I have the mods and running 55 now after changing from a 50. 50 was a bitch starting in cold weather, 55 made a big difference, and I actually dropped (unshimmed) my needle which fixed a slight top-end richness I was experiencing. Now, it's "smooth as budda" all across the board, zippier, and starts much better, although I do use the 'choke'. So if after you make the mods you propose, you still think it runs too rich at idle / slight throttle, then consider dropping your pilot, maybe try a 55. But if it "runs awesome, very sharp throttle response and pulls strong and clean" then why bother taking a chance of disrupting that? BTW, we want our XRLs running a tad rich anyway to keep our engines cool. And I'd rather sacrifice a touch of fuel in the mountains than deal with the hassle of an oil cooler (which doesn't mitigate combustion chamber temperature as effectively as a slightly rich fuel/air mixture, anyway).
  18. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    There were a bunch of Jeeps coming off the top of Red Cone that day. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that you can see the trail on. Lots of loose base ball sized rocks.
  19. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    That picture puckers me for sure!
  20. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are 2 settings on the camera. The better quality setting uses too much battery so I had it on the lower quality setting.