Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Money for food. That doesn't change, with either bike. And, roll self-supported. Your legs will appreciate the workout. :lol3
  2. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe next year, assuming I don't die this year :rofl
  3. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it's an old generation Klein with straight-gauge 6061 tubing (like mine) the LHT will be more comfortable with its steel frame.
  4. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I'm actually wearing an old pair of jeans I'd stopped wearing because they were too tight.

The are comfy now.:clap

My weight doesn't seem to change yet. Yet.
    A year and a half ago I was down almost 20 pounds so I can do that again. I plan to get in some running which has in the past worked to affect my weight.

Plus I'm going to need to have some running under my belt for a cancer run I'm doing with my wife and daughters in September.

Now, another thing; that Garmin Connect site? Ack!
    After Strava the Garmin site is nearly useless. And that pretty much tears it for my spending my money on another Garmin product. Next up? I'll have to look into options.

The FR70 HRM fit fine and was basically not noticeable. Setting it up is a bit fiddly. But, it worked. Getting it to move the data to Strava not so much.
    Once I can work out the upload to Strava from the Sync site maybe I can use the data.
  5. fz6kd7

fz6kd7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for both of those products

can you feel a obvious result on the osmo recovery drink or is it a more subtile effect?

looks like i may try all the osmo products, this time of year is not the best
    to get back into cycling in vegas, so i cycle only after sundown right now
  6. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    Just ordered the small pack of Lemon Tailwind. I'll give it a shot when it shows up. I've been using Accelerade for years (and the big jug seems to last that long), but don't mind trying something else out.

Nuun tablets seems to work well for me, too, but I often just use water to refill once I'm out and about.

I've got a buddy that swears by Skratch Labs, but he's also a Rapha nut and bakes his own energy bars and you know what they say about them...
  7. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    That's really subjective to each individual. I usually feel tightness in my muscles for a day or so after particularly hard training rides or races. That feeling subsides as soon as I get on the bike and turn the pedals over for a few miles. The Osmo (or any recovery drink for that matter) is more for replenishing the glycogen and protein I used up during the session. This is more critical when I'm racing in omniums or back-to-back daily crits.

I mix it two servings each per 24oz bottle. It's very easy to modulate the strength to your liking as it's a light flavor.
  8. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stonesâ„¢..

Oddometer:
    +1 on Skratch.
  9. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. I usually go with about ~3/4 scoop of Accelerade per 24oz bottle of water. I'll play with the Tailwind to see what I like. I really prefer straight water, but when it heats up, I need the salt and the calories to get through the ride.
  10. TheNedster

TheNedster Lurkapotamus

Oddometer:
    First of all, best of luck to kbasa :thumb (pics of ice cream at the top of Carson or it didn't happen!).

El Guero, if you should see LA on your jaunt across Iowa, give him an ADV salute for me. :fyyff However, I'm sure his people will keep him well-insulated from the rabble.

Lastly, plain ol' chocolate milk has also been proven to be an effective recovery drink: http://www.utexas.edu/news/2011/06/22/milk_studies/
  11. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I use one NUUN tablet per big bottle, a little diluted yes, but I like it like that.
    I've tried one flavor of Skratch and didn't find it terrible, but the packaging is tough to open and it is another long narrow bag to keep track of. The tablets in a snack size zip-lock are easy.
    I carry one bag of Chomps on long rides. I also put them into a snack sized zip-lock bag. Way easier to open and close even while riding.

Then for that extra kick when I really need it I carry GU, the one with double caffeine in peach. Doesn't bother me, but I have always drank an whole big bottle of water with it. Good for about a half hour or so in the hundred degree heat for me.

When it is hot, I carry and re-fill one large bottle of water and one same size of NUUN. No cramps and I can keep going.

I'll do a light night tonight and leg massage, then hydrate well for a big ride tomorrow. I hope to be able to get a medium ride in Sunday as well. It is going to be a busy weekend.
  12. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    They've (Osmo) got that hyper hydrytion (sic),have you also tried that ?
  13. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Best ride this season last night and I really wasn't going for it - 25 miles @ 17.5.

Something Kbasa said the other day stuck in my head - something about going into the red zone on hills and then never being able to really recover. Yesterday I went up the hills as slowly as I could - all the time trying to keep my legs from hurting (too much). I then hammered it on the downhill and flat. Worked a treat :clap I was tired at the end but I only bonked about a mile from home and then not too badly.

Need to try it a few times to see if this theory holds up but it sure did yesterday.

So, a question for you racers, when you do get to the top of a hill legs are full of LA, on the downhill is it better to pedal (slowly or otherwise) or just rest your legs :ear
  14. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I do that on the mountain bike--I call it 'tractor mode.'

Racers maintain the effort all the way over the top until a tuck is better going down the other side. I have done some slow circles whilst in a tuck.
  15. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    There really isn't much else GPS computer-wise that uploads unless you hit up the UK shops and get a Brighton.Garmin blocked em from selling em in the US. Even more reason to buy one!

...and you don't HAVE to upload to either strava or garmin connect. There's several other sites: Golden Cheetah, Training Peaks, etc

M
  16. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I've got a bag, but have only used it once. Tastes OK so far.

Since I only use mixes for rides lasting longer'n 3hrs, it may be a while before I get thru this bag o' stuff.

Another alternative that's really easy to find (cough cough wally world) is Gatorade mix. Look back in the aisle with the pre-mixed stuff and they'll probably have a tub o' the stuff. You can mix it as strong or as weak as ya want.

M
  17. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try it both ways. You'll find that lactic acid burn lasts quite a bit longer if you stop pedaling.
  18. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Kbasa is going at it from an endurance POV. For those of us who are riding with guys that can really climb, it becomes a matter of 'keep it just below the red zone as long as you can without going over.'

...and hope that by the top of the hill you can still see the pack ahead of you. :bluduh

AFA going down the hill: you're really only going 10% or so faster if you really try going downhill. So spin out the legs and recover for the next uphill.

...AND... its better to attack the giant at the head, not the feet. IOW start a little slower than you *can* go up the hill with the intention of getting faster at the top. If you really want to demoralize someone attack just before the crest of the hill. :nod Many people consider the climb 'over' when they can see the top. DAMHIK that it sucks to get to that last bit and see some SOB going full-bore over the top. :baldy

Still sick. :bluduh No riding since Mon. I may try and toodle for an hour or so this PM 'cause this cold doesn't seem to be migrating to my lungs.

Oh, and updates: ordered 3 pair of rims from china the other week. Got word that they're shipped out. Ordered many many spokes yesterday AM. So far, I'm into 3 pair of wheels for appx $850. $1k if you include the 2 tubulars I ordered with the spokes.

M
  19. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    I grind up a hill slowly (well, I'm slow no matter what, but we'll say slow for *me*) and then try to put in more effort the further up the hill I go. I don't stand up on the pedals until I'm halfway up it or feel like I"m gonna die, whichever comes first.

I read a lot about Team Rwanda, whom I'm a huge fan of, and one thing their coach said over and over was 'never ever stop pedaling' so even if I'm just coasting, I still spin a little. It seems to be beneficial in keeping my legs warm & my muscles activated.
  20. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    Not tried that yet. I'm really cost-conscious on my hydration powders since i use so much of it. The tailwind is $39.99 for a 3lb bag and lasts me for about a month +/-. Osmo is great for the recovery but just too expensive for their other products.

Sent from my intergalactic space modulator