Battery advice

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by rallyreplica, Sep 15, 2013.

1. rallyreplica

rallyreplica out and about

Oddometer:
    Hello y'all.

Time for a new battery. Did some searches and was unable to find what I needed..which was a clear cut choice for a new battery. Was looking at the Deka 14a agm battery for a 950 adventure. Can anyone that is using this battery give me an impression of how it has been working in their bike? Any other battery suggestions ( with detailed model numbers) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

RR
  2. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of threads on this. For my money you can't beat Yuasa for these big bikes without a kick start option.
  3. skianreid

skianreid Boulder Moto

Oddometer:
    Why Yuasa? Why not a lithium option?
  4. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have Shorai batteries in all my bikes. They're great. Great cranking power. Designed well. I've never had problem with them. I've dragged them through dirt, dust, rain, river crossings, mud, etc. They always work. They're MUCH lighter than a lead/acid battery (as in POUNDS lighter). They operate at higher voltages giving quicker start times. They don't sulfate while sitting. They can go long periods (months) without being hooked up to a battery tender and still hold their charge ad crank like new. They're really pretty amazing actually. I can't recommend them enough.

If you go with a Shorai I do recommend getting their charger too.
  5. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Go to CJDesigns site and order the EarthX battery he sells for the 950/990. I bought the 18, but if you are in the extreme cold, get the heavier duty 24? or 36?.

I could not believe how light these batteries are, and they have circuitry to handle charging from a standard battery tender.
  6. Altego

Altego Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also recommend a Shorai LiFePO4 battery and have one in my 990. The only quirk is that when the battery is cold you have to let it power the light for 30 seconds to warm up. When cold they dont deliver a full enough charge to start the bike. Only happens on a cold start when below 45 degrees
  7. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The EarthX is a superior battery compared to a Shorai. The biggest difference is that EarthX batteries have on board battery management, including over charge and discharge protection and cell balancing. Waiting to start the bike at 45 degrees is unacceptable to me. The 18c EarthX will spin the 950 up easily in 30 degree temperatures without having to do the warm up lithium battery drill.
  8. rallyreplica

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for the advice. There are so many choices for batteries it gets a little confusing. Some have higher cold cranking amps and some higher voltage. Some are heavier, others lighter, and some work better in the cold and some in the heat. I don't need anything too fancy or expensive, just a super reliable battery. I mostly ride in Southern California but could potentially ride in colder Climates Any thoughts?

Thanks to those who replied!!
  9. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    newest gen EarthX is most advanced LiFePO4 available today.. with BMS that controls cell balancing, high/low voltage disconnect using MOSFETs. most any PB charger will work.

EarthX ETX18 (5AH actual) is too small for KTM 950 or 990Adv. starting is not the only function for battery. it also acts like a capacitor to smooth out loads.

if your battery becomes drained for any reason ... after starting charging system will try to charge battery at 30amps. that's what it's suppose to do .. right...

LiFePO4 has very low internal resistance, that's why it's able to deliver huge amp loads. until power runs out then it flats flat on it's face with little to no warning.

due to low internal resistance .. during bulk phase of charging.. your LiFePO4 will swallow just about all the amp thrown at it...

rate of charge is measured in C = actual AH .. so ETX18 (5AH actual) at 30amps will be charged at 6C or way too high. battery will probably overheat and possibly melt the case.

with ETX36 (14AH actual) wacked with same 30amps = 2C for ETX36 or no big deal...

also at lower temps like 15f .. AH capacity drops almost in half .. warm up procedures are needed. EarthX ETX36 and Shorai LFX36 both has been bombproof .. starting R80G/S at 15f with no problems.

carburetor R80G/S draws 250+ amp continuous at 15f .. starts typically take 10 to 60 seconds continuous cranking. vs 1-3 seconds for a fuel injected bike in good condition.

recommendations are to go with 14AH AGM (Deka or Odyssey) on 950 or 990 .. if you are not willing to spend the $$$ for EarthX ETX36... Shorai LFX36 case size is too big for 950/990.

visit my LiFePO4 testing thread for more info..

Shorai LFX36 next to EarthX ETX36
    [​IMG]
  10. Reddydr

Reddydr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi try P3 lithium battery from ktmtwins.com
  11. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    that's a brand new LiFePO4 battery with the typical wild marketing claims. to their credit they stated actual 6.9AH which jives with a 2.2lb LiFePO4 battery.

no mention if P3 has a BMS that internally balances the cells ... who cares that someone using P3 went xxx mph. what counts is will P3 start your KTM 950 at say 15f?

will a 7AH battery be large enough should you get a bad load of fuel? will a totally discharged 7AH LiFePO4 survive being charged at say 30amps?

folks are known to take their KTM 950/990 in the middle of no-where, 100+ miles from any support. you want your LiFePO4 battery to be bombproof!!

KTM 950/990 doing Starbuck duties has completely different requirements than someone taking their KTM 950/990Adv to parts unknown with (-10c) cold conditions thrown in ...

we'll be seeing LOTS more brand new LiFePO4 mfg hitting the market place soon. LiFePO4 use in motorcycle batteries are just getting started ...

currently newest generation EarthX is the world most advanced motorcycle LiFePO4 battery with BMS that controls internal cell balancing, under/over voltage disconnect using MOSFETs. most any PB charger will work. Most importantly has survived 250amp continuous starts at 15f .. almost two years into a long term test using Shorai LFX36 (14AH actual) and EarthX ETX36 (14AH actual). both have proven bombproof in R80G/S. unfortunately Shorai LFX36 case will not fit in 950/90. EarthX ETX36 fits nicely.

better to stay with 14AH AGM Deka or Odyssey, if you are not willing to stuff the largest LiFePO4 available into space available. which is EarthX ETX36.
  12. rallyreplica

Oddometer:
    Cy,
    Thanks for the battery insight! Have you heard positive things about Batteries Plus range of batteries?

Thanks everyone for the advice
  13. rallyreplica

Oddometer:
    Cy,

Also, would you have the model number for the Deka or Oddessy for KTM 950?

RR