F800GS Pannier design considerations.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by RedHawk47, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Lucky:)

Lucky:) Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dert Gerl, Do you have any rack for your saddlebags?
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I know the Caribou cases have some sort of lock, can an owner post close-ups of how the lock is installed or give an assessment of their relative security?

Thanks,
    Jim
  3. rossaduc

rossaduc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not a surprise about Jesses actually, another issue is the hinged lid versus completely removable and also geometry. Any of the rectangular will likely be repairable in the event of a spill. I will tell you I low sided on my 1150GS A after cresting an off camber turn that had a nice big dip in it that let bike momentarily unload the suspension, and yeah I was riding too fast. I low sided but bike came about and flopped onto other side, both TT bags were impacted and both were damaged and both were straightened out and reusable. Not sure that you can do that with all of the choices, some for sure you can not. I would always factor in durability in my decision.Rich
  4. AngryRed

AngryRed Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer:
    I actually haven't heard of the balance combo up until now. I'm trying to learn more about it but to be honest their site sucks as far as product information. Can you tell me a little about the rack? Did you get their exhaust pipe too? How is the exhaust pipe moved closer to the frame? Would the relocate work with other after-market exhaust pipes?

Cheers!

*Edit: Their site does not like Firefox. Using Firefox the BLS /SLS links show nothing but a white page with a logo. Using IE the info is there, go figure but at least there is more information available.
  5. robhar54

robhar54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just remember to bring extras of those break-away bolts, eh Greg? :evil :D

Rob in Seattle
  6. robhar54

robhar54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those considering different pannier systems, the new Globeriders F800GS Instructional DVD includes a detailed look at Maddaddy's Hepco Becker Gobi's, my Metal Mules, two sizes of Jesse bags, both BMW Adventure and Vario bags, and the new TT Zega Pros. (No Caribous or Happy Trails, but not by design. No one who could make it happened to have them.)

Rob in Seattle
  7. Capt.Jim

Capt.Jim b00b

Oddometer:
    Good call on the Globeriders video. I have been doing exactly what you suggest. Going through the video and looking at all of the details for pannier construction and mounting. Very good comparison video. It would be nice to fill in the above table with the Gobi details.

If anyone has the Gobi's mounted on the F800GS could you please post the width?

Thanks,
    jim
  8. cobblecrazy

cobblecrazy '15 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Oddometer:
    I just installed my Jesse bags on my 800GS, and I noticed a SLIGHT amount of "play" in the exhaust. I cannot recall if the small amount of movement was there prior to installation. The bolt cannot be tightened. Has anyone experienced the same issue? And, if so, was it as simple as adding a thick washer, or something similar.
  9. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Mine wiggles and my buds 658 wiggles as well even when tight.

10. Erik1977

Erik1977 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could slow cook your dinner in the left pannier though.
  13. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    It rather looks like you have strapped a laundry to the bike ... :D
  14. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Red,
    Yes, I have their exhaust as that is the only one I knew for sure works. The clearance comes from a change in the inlet pipe and removal of that metal spacer bushing. I suspect another company's can may work, but you would want to get exact measurements, because it's pretty tight. The fit and finish was very good. I had no issues with the install and was really happy the bags fit on, close enough for me. (I had them mounted at a specific angle on my LC4, not centered...)

Robhar54 did a good review with great pics here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413009
  15. AirDoc

AirDoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry all. I went radio silent for about 5 months there. Don't know what happened, but I just woke up and it was July.

I like the PacSafe for everyday commuting as it's easy to put stuff in. Locking it is a pain, though. So if you don't need to lock it frequently, then it's a great lightweight easy to use option. One thing, they fade FAST. Mine went from black to a muted brown in a few years. But I ride every day and they bike sits in the sun at work. Third bike I've had it on. I've probably locked it only 15-20 times, but otherwise I'm pleased. If you want easy locking, get a vario or the adventure aluminum one with same key. Or the CooCase has a nifty remote control. But it's looks a little gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

16. easyman05

easyman05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know if the OEM top Variocase fits TT Alu rack?
  17. DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer:
    Just a quick note on the Jesse cases, I dropped the bike (low speed) twice on monday (first time my fault, second time hit by a car) and the bike and cases are in mint condition. (stupid car, at least he was nice enough to get out and help me pick it back up) :huh
  18. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I just got back from the BMW Rally and Twisted Throttle was showing off a new product that is a set of brackets that will allow mounting of Pelican cases to Givi and SW-Motech frames.

Very nicely executed, they do lock and look strong enough....

Alas, at $165 for a pair I would not say they are a "price leader".... :lol3
    but considering the amount of time it would take to create a set of one-offs in the garage that lock ... it might not be too bad a deal.......

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4879
  19. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, JR. They're cheaper than Caribou's DIY mount kit. But then the Caribou kit comes keyed the same as the cases. Life's full of trade-offs. :scratch

David
  20. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Looks like it would have worked for our Cape Brenton lobster boil.