GMT Light Mount Remake - R1150

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by O-livier, Apr 8, 2013.

1. O-livier

O-livier S'en fout la mort!

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Since it took me well over 8 months before finding a set of GMT light mounts for my 1150 (thanks to MikeO in the UK for accepting a trade!), I was able to motivate a friend to make a batch in his state of the art machine shop located in Sunnyvale, California.

As you see from the photos below, these 10 pairs are an exact copy from the past versions JuanG (original design owner) and YBViking were able to make. The only difference is tied to a little (removable) pin added which will not allow the blinker to twist around the mount. The rest is identical with a superb finish! Mount your spot/ driving lights or mount a GoPro on these. Mount can be either under or above the blinker.

Price… After consulting with various parties, we have decided to set the price at $230 per pair shipped to the continental US. Cost will be $250 shipped international. Unfortunately, we were not able to offer a more competitive price. Explanation is primarily tied to the whole initial effort for the CAD design (started from scratch) + labor tied to a 3 steps CNC machine operation, material and surface treatment (expensive!). In addition, this is a small batch, therefore the overhead costs are added to this small volume, all made and hand finished in CA.

Now, like you, I have a “real job” and would like to sell these in a “coordinate fashion”… Since we have only 9 pairs left (one just sold and is heading to Australia), here is how it is going to work:
    1) If you are “in”, call “dibs”, right here, now, on this thread below
    2) Pm me immediately to let me know you want a set. I will check my pm every day after work (Pacific time)
    3) I will answer all pm in the order received (time stamp on the thread should clarify who answered and when). Should a set be available, I will request immediate payment on my Paypal account. I will send you my address at that point. Should payment not be received within 24 hours from my reply, I will consider you no longer interested and therefore out.
    4) Paypal payment received, I will confirm with you about the shipping address and will then ship USPS Priority (US) or international within 5 working days. For international, please clarify the declared value you wish to see on the customs form.
    5) There are no “installation instructions”. I expect that all the combined ADV knowledge be enough to help those of you in need. I will of course do my best to assist in any way I can.

Depending on how this project goes (with minimal headaches?), we may decide to make another batch OR thinking of making copies of the Terranova bar for 1150 (with prior approval from Kaumajet).

Only considered trade (+$?) will be for a set of clean Stanton head guards…. It is the only desired/ left farkle for the 1150 I am missing… Thanks, Olivier

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Below, prototype (before surface treatment) mounted above the blinker:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. darrell

darrell Long Time BMW Rider

Oddometer:
    I received your PM with information.

Darrell
    MN
  3. O-livier

Oddometer:
    2 sold; 8 left
  4. Saigo

Saigo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    pm sent
  5. pancho

pancho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pm sent
  6. O-livier

Oddometer:
    OK. I have 6 left as of today and posted on Flea bay as well to get more exposure. More recent pics :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Snowbound

Snowbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looked on eBay . Didn't see them . Link?
  8. O-livier

Oddometer:
    Search using "GMT R1150 GS" and you should find the ad. I am using the same "o-livier" avatar on Flea Bay as well. Thanks, O.
  9. O-livier

Oddometer:
    Not sure what the rules are for bumps on this thread...

FYI. I have 4 pairs left and seems like all 6 pairs found some (very?) happy owners! Finish is real nice... Some have asked about the Terranova... on the fence for this in light to the slow sale on the GMT... Let me know
  10. Snowbound

Oddometer:
    Order a set .
  11. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those are so nice they make me want to buy a 1150GS just so I justify buying a pair of those!
  12. O-livier

Oddometer:
    Thanks FlyingFinn. So far, I think all buyers are happy. I am down to 2 sets left now....
  13. O-livier

Oddometer:
    Pics provided by Darrell t show his set up - very nice!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. Snowbound

Oddometer:
    So , is the set I purchased on eBay on it's way ?
  15. O-livier

Oddometer:
    Hello Snowbound,
    Not sure why you are using the ADV channel to communicate if Fleabay was the (secure) route you decided to take. Anyways, I did ship your mounts on Tuesday. I did send you the tracking # via Fleabay official and monitored message exchange. Please do not hesitate to let me know if any issue.

Folks,
    The last 2 sold last night on Fleabay. I have no more sets. Definitely not a mass market for these out there... 10 sets sold in ~ 8 months?

Needless to say but doubt I'll embark on having Terranova bars remade...
  16. darrell

darrell Long Time BMW Rider

Oddometer:
    I appreciate you offering up these 10 sets. I think they are the coolest means to mount up additional lights on the bikes. Thanks for posting photos of my bikes.

I now have a spare set in the parts drawer in the event I damage one or find another bike to mount them on.

Darrell
  17. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please let us know if you decide to build more light mounts. TIA
  18. O-livier

Oddometer:
    Very interesting.... Ever since I announced I was out, I had 3 interested requests in 24 hours... :huh Let me remind everyone that it took about 8 months to sell 10! I admit I did not conduct much (any?) marketing and most of the sales came through Fleabay. (learned a lesson with the Ebay 10% fees and all other "nibble" side fees!... :yikes)

I have way too much on my plate these days. Maybe find a window early next year? In the meantime, I'll continue to monitor this thread. :*sip*

For those of you who bought a set, hope you can appreciate the quality of the finish as we did not cut corners!

Thanks everyone, O-livier
  19. Mojowkng

Mojowkng Cyco Dog

Oddometer:
    Wow! I have an original pair and crashed.....bent one of them and just spent an hour trying to find a replacement to come across this thread. If a batch ever comes about put me on the list for a pair.
  20. jwolff

jwolff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interested! Put me down! :D