How long will a 990adv last???

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by dwj - Donnie, May 20, 2013.

1. salvadorfrieri

salvadorfrieri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been reading your posts (learning a lot) and this latest one made me very sad. Our thoughts are with you.
  2. nwkshusker

nwkshusker Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thinking of you Donnie, hope things work out with your dad and I know the anniversaries can be hard, but you are doing what your wife would have wanted and that is to move on. Prayers for ya!!
  3. Trail bandit

Trail bandit Random adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
    Yes, I've been enjoying going along for the ride with lots of learning as well.

Very sorry to learn of your fathers illness.

Our thoughts are with you.
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto

Thanks to you all! :clap At 86, we knew it was just a matter of time with my father, but did not expect cancer in his brain! I am now in south Mexico, awaiting a estimation of what time my father may have left. :cry I am getting rested up and my batteries recharged for the 2,200 mile ride back north.

The moto has been great! While R1100GS has a decent suspensionon, the KTM's is great on the speed bumps and bad roads. A definite improvement! The only PM, I have done is to spray the chain daily with WD-40. I do have a question about a situation, I don't think there is a problem, just the nature of the moto. I can be cruising in the 65 to 85 MPH range and the moto will seem to surge or hesitate at times, HOWEVER, I can engage the throttle lock and there are no surges or hesitation! I try to hold the throttle as still as possible, even have the habit of bracing a finger on the brake lever, but it still does it. Anyone else have this issue? I assume since it does not do it on throttle lock that it is me, but maybe there is something else. Thanks!
  5. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks! :clap For some reason I just now saw this!
  6. yellowbronco

yellowbronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Donnie,

This sounds an awful lot like the out-of-adjustment throttle position sensor problems that the carburetted bikes suffered on occation. Maybe someone can chime in on this for the FI bikes?

Tom
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a small non-PM thing occur yesterday. The equalizer hose come off of the right fuel tank and leaked a little bit of gas. No big deal to fix! :D I don't guess it had anything to do with falling into the ditch the day before and scrapping up the fairing a bit! :lol3 I felt bad about those scrapes for almost 30 seconds and then it was past! My knee still hurts a little bit! :cry The rear tire I "gooped" before leaving home has lost no air the entire trip. :clap Moto is running fine and the suspension is soaking up the speed bumps!
  8. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    3,300 miles in this trip and running strong! Coming into the outskirts of Mexico City yesterday it clicked 143 KMs per hour on one of the radar things they have hanging over the road. But it was at 9,400 feet so I think the speed has to be adjusted! :rofl
  9. R-W

R-W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you are enjoying your ride Donnie. Tracking you on your Spot.

Just received my Spot today. Thanks for the info. Heading to New Mexico Friday and Sonora, Mex on Monday.

Ride on! :freaky
  10. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you sending me a link? :evil
  11. R-W

R-W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just sent my link to your email.
  12. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    On top of the world's second largest pyramid yesterday. Inside the tunnel system and on top of the world's largest pyramid today and in Oaxaca tonight!
  13. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Stay safe and keep enjoying yourself...
  14. Trail bandit

Oddometer:
    Worth a couple of pics? I'll have to get on that spot gadget and find you.
  15. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks! :D
  16. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Hey Donnie,
    Now that you're in the thick of it... any remorse taking the big LC8 over a KLR or anything else? Has it limited your freedom of movement? Thoughts so far...???
  17. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I sold my other four motos, so there was not really a choice! :rofl The 990 is doing great in it's first 3,500 miles of the ride! I do have a passenger now and it handles that great! It may not be quite as comfortable as the R1100GS, but the suspension is better on the topes. In the end, it will all boil down to how reliable and PM intensive the moto is for 35,000 to 45,000 miles per year. I really like the KTM, but I will not tolerate excessive down time or problems. Too many places to ride, too little time! :deal Quite frankly, the tales I have read of the tough, fill in the blank with less than 150,000, miles the moto endured before needing to be opened up do not impress me at all! But for now, all is well! :D
  18. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Checked over everything on the moto yesterday. Getting ready for a run up to Lazaro Cardenas to visit friends for a few days and then it will be back home.
  19. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    This isn't going to end well!!!
  20. Trail bandit

Oddometer:
    Donnie is one of those rare customers that really use their products. Bike manufacturers should be contacting him and pleading with him to test their bikes at no charge.

Manufacturers of any products biggest nightmare is getting thorough testing done. I deal with this issue.

I tend to agree. If you're not going to embrace a bikes mechanical quirks its time to move on. New thread.... What bike should Donnie get next that can run up high miles quickly into the 100,000 plus with very few problems.

It's probably going to be a proven BMW model or something turning Japanese. I really think so.....