Shoei Qwest Helmets

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by BoochZilla, Aug 5, 2010.

1. BoochZilla

BoochZilla Metal.Moto.Mania.

Oddometer:
    UPDATE: No More Speculation. The Shoei Qwest Touring Helmet is here.
    <object height="385" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MD-U4jTRxwc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object>

Shoei Qwest Helmet is brand spanking new and the we consider it a Touring version of the RF-1100. The Shoei Qwest Helmet will compete directly with the Arai RX-Q Touring Helmet at a starting price of $315.

Built for Comfort, Stability and Safety for Long Distance Rides.
    Slightly Rounder than the RF-1100
    Quieter by 1-2db than the RF-1100
    Snell M2010
    RF-1100 Shield System
    Top-Of-Head Touring Vent Configuration

Shoei is touting it as a universal, lightweight & quiet touring helmet as a complement to its race targeted Shoei X-12 and race inspired Shoei RF-1100. It has already been announced in Europe but we caught wind of it some time ago.

The word on the street is that it will use the new CW-1 visor system (spring loaded seal and wider eyeport) and will most likely be M2010 SNELL certified (we couldn't imagine it not being actually).

Check out the prelim picture of it below. We will update as we have more information.

More to come. We think the functionality will be right in tune with what the RX-Q is offering at a better price.

-Anthony
    <object height="385" width="640"></object>
    [​IMG]

Shoei Qwest Helmet
  2. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Nice lid. I'm shopping for a street lid to actually replace my tzr. Any idea of price? Hi viz option?
  3. BoochZilla

Oddometer:
    I would imagine the price is going to be less than the Arai RX-Q and more in line with the Shoei RF-1100, but that is just my gut.

So $350 - $450 if I had to handicap it.

Anthony

4. KullZilla

KullZilla Work Hard, Play Harder

Oddometer:
    While pictures and descriptions are not on the site yet, you can see pricing on the models that will be released now via our Shoei Qwest Helmet section. Shoei's "official" release date is September 17th, so more information will start flowing out then.

There is not a hi-viz option from Shoei yet. If you have your heart set on it check out the Arai RX-Q Hi-Viz Helmet
  5. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    :spam

They love that stuff in Hawaii
  6. BoochZilla

Oddometer:
    Finally - we can release our Shoei Qwest Helmet Video Review. I have been riding in one for two weeks and am impressed so far. Forget the TZ-R, this lid was designed for serious touring to compete heads up with the Arai RX-Q Helmet.

[​IMG]

Check out our break down and my opinion on it after some time in the saddle. I'm looking forward to weighing in after I have spent a few more months in it and tackled colder weather here in the East on the 12GS.

-Anthony<object height="385" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MD-U4jTRxwc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object>
  7. msgvb

msgvb .

Oddometer:
    Hey Anthony, so what do you think now? been a couple of months, right?

I'm in the market for a new helmet. being a SHOEI guy, this one tops my list. great review, btw. I was wondering how the Qwest fits compared to the others, and I think you answered it with the slightly rounder design. this is a good thing for me, as I find the RF1100 a little pinchy on the crown. coming from the RF1000 I think this'll should be a great fit.

let us know how it's working out for you since the weather's turned a bit cooler. I'm actually struggling to find a good anti-fog solution at this point, but not so fond of wipes, pinlock shields, or the Foggy Respro/Suzuka product.
  8. BoochZilla

Oddometer:
    Hey MS,

I am still a fan and really have not had any major negatives to speak of. A few of our staff have actually picked them up as well.

The big standouts here are the spring loaded shield mechanism which is new on all of the 2010 models. It works beautifully and the peripheral vision makes a big different over previous shoei's. The ability to crack is nice as well and should help you with your anti-fog issues.. Its also the upright position both for venting and stability which are nice when rocking the GS.

As far as shape, you are correct. It is slightly more roomy in the temples / crown left to right. For me it doesnt matter, I am a traditional intermediate oval, but the feedback we have gotten is that this shape seems to work for a much broader shape range than the RF-1100 or X-12.

I have been impressed and have had little issues thus far. I am either in my RX-Q or Qwest depending on the day.

The Arai is slightly nicer in the guts, the balance and the "feel" of it, but at the low $300's the Qwest has a ton of bang for the buck.

Let me know what else I can offer at this point.

Anthony

9. msgvb

msgvb .

Oddometer:
    yeah, after seeing the video I was pretty much sold. none of my local shops are carrying them yet, though, for me to try on.

agreed, yes, the spring loaded mech def looks like a big plus/improvement over what I'm currently used to with the RF-1000. I find the RF-1000 to be a bit noisy, and leaky when I turn for blind spot checks. also, it looks like the "vent" position doesn't open up as much on the Qwest as on the RF-1000, which is nice, since it's a bit too much when it's cold. on top of that, with the cheaper mech on the RF-1000, it sometimes snaps back down.

I did some reading yesterday on the pinlock system as well, and learned that the lenses actually cover the shield quite thoroughly, so I think I may give that a shot as well.

when I get mine, I'll post back with my observations and thoughts, as well.
  10. snorty

snorty no-diggety

Oddometer:
    First off, great video Anthony. I'm sold, but want more info on the helmet so I did a quick search. Here is a Shoei Qwest helmet review from WebBikeWorld.

When I replace my RF-1000 next year, this one is at the top of my list.
  11. JH.Offroad

JH.Offroad n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a Shoei Quest. I bought it at my local dealership for $349 and they threw in an extra smoked lense for free. I like the helmet. It is quiet and comfortable. It seals up tight, so when the lens is down I don't hear any whistles or feel any drafts. I am pleased with the helmet for the most part. I do have one gripe, it's seals up so well, my lens fogs up in the mornings and the little vent notch doesn't allow enough airflow to clear it. I have to open the lens to the first open detent, which is WAY to much air on a cold morning. My old HJC did a better job with that. I have only riden with the helmet on my Harley with a windscreen so far. Maybe the windscreen isn't letting the helmet get enough air for the vents to work. I'll have to see what happens on the dual sport.
  12. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    Ebay vendor onlinehelmets.com $319 shipped. Nice Helmet. I have a Shoei Head
  13. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    This is months after your post, so you're probably all sorted out, but...
    If you haven't yet, pick up a Pinlock shield and lens for that bad boy. The Pinlock works really well against the creeping fog. One minor downside: at night you get minor halo effect from oncoming headlights. Not a bad trade off for what I consider the best anti-fog device on the market.
  14. Mulewright

Mulewright Old Fart/Journeyman

Oddometer:
    Booch;

A nice, quality helmet BUT......
    After getting mine from you a few months ago the following 'pics' should be noted (F,Y,I,; I came out of a lg. HJC CL-SP)....

The Quest is not a lot quieter than my HJC... I tried adjusting the shield, etc. with no noteable improvement.
    The ear pockets are not as roomy (deep) as the HJC's and my Iasus speakers are tight aganst my ears to the point of being painfull after 20 or so miles in addition to making the ingress/egress manuver a bit of a pita.
    The cheek pads are way too thick for my N.A. / Scottish facial bones. My nose is also only 1/16~1/8th away from the faceshield when closed.
    The "cheek" pads will no longer stay secured at the rear of the helmet letting the plastic retaining strip drop down & be visable.
    The faceshield fogging is by far the very worst of ANY helmet I have ever worn, even with the pin lock system.
    It is however very light in comparison and very well finished overall.

If I were doing it over knowing what I now know I would have purchased something else.
    I bought it based on recomendations from your staff & the good fit from the RF-1100 that I had tried before ordering it. (all units were of the "Large" size.)

I had "Put it on the Road" before discovering the above and did not want to attempt to send it back for exchange as a result. (I still have "old school" personal integrity).
    I'll likely regulate it to my "Med." sized Ladyfriend's use as that it appears to work well for & her with her now current hair style & quantity. As that she is a passenger only, the shield fogging is not a safety issue.

Enough to the Fussin'..... Your folks are very helpfull on the 'phone and your prices quite conpetitive, however mebe you could recomend something else based on the info outlined above that might be a better "fit" for me?
    Take Care!!
    D.
  15. msgvb

msgvb .

Oddometer:
    Just got a notification about a new post to this thread, and realized I hadn't come back on to follow up with my thoughts after having had the helmet for a while.

I'm comparing to the RF-1000, so the Qwest really stands out as the better of the two.

Some quick general observations:

• Quieter than the RF-1000
    • Flows more air
    • Vents are slightly easier to manipulate with big gloves on
    • Chin curtain really seals out the cold better than the RF-1000
    • Venting the face shield feature is much nicer than on the RF-1000; as I mentioned before, there wasn't really much in the way of fine steps on the RF-1000's face shield adjustments; the Qwest cracks juuuuust enough to allow some airflow and venting, but doesn't allow so much that you need eye protection, or that it freezes you in the cooler weather
    • The Qwest seems more "manageable" at speed as well, in that I don't feel my head getting tossed around as much at highway speeds. Same bike, no other changes.
    • Pinlock availability. this is a nice accessory to have when it's cold, however, Pinlock system has problems of its own, with ghosting and reflections in low light/evening rides. Guess it's the lesser of two evils, but that's more just an aside for riders who may be considering the Pinlock system along with this helmet; I still plan on using mine.
    it was a little tight on the top sides of the dome there at first, and I thought I'd made a mistake, but once broken in, it was much more comfortable.

I would buy this helmet again. it's good for people with more rounded heads. I find that I can't wear Arai helmets. I feel like I can just go and pick up any SHOEI design in a Large, and it will fit me properly.