Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    The Breeze, my XC has always pulled to the right. I installed a LeoVince muffler & I can barely notice it now. BTW, I use a tape measure to aline the rear. I've never trusted those marks.
  2. The Breeze

The Breeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick responses!

At first I thought it was the crown of the road, but I've tested several scenario's based on the camber/crown of the road. Pretty much takes a strong side wind to keep my bike going straight.

I used a Motion Pro alignment tool to check to ensure that the rear was aligned properly....and the dots on the rear stops definitely are not correct. I think I'll recheck the alignment on front and rear again.

The weight of the muffler seems to make a lot of sense. The stock can is pretty damn heavy hanging of the right side of the bike. May have a new/lighter can in my future:evil
  3. The Breeze

Oddometer:

Do you happen to know the weight of the stock can vs. the LeoVince???
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I bought this and put it on my tiger. It was $90 shipped from the US distributor and the guy shipped it out quickly. I am 5'9" and have my seat in the high position. This went on a std. screen. Wind turbulence was reduced quite a lot. Big difference in the force on the helmet when turning to check for a clear lane at 70mph +. Noise is still a little high but with ear plugs it's tolerable. Different helmets can make a big difference in noise so I see curing the turbulence as a little more universal. Using Arai RX-Q fwiw.

I have a modified low position that I use for the summer and when just commuting which gives me pretty clean air but for the highway and/or cooler weather I prefer more wind blockage and this aerotrim piece is a significant improvement over just the std. screen and its also better than the high triumph screen IMO.

I bought an adjustable mount for the std screen which should be here shortly and hopefully I can fine tune things a little more.
  5. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    No, but I was told the LV is less than half the weight of the stock muffler. The stock muffler would make a good boat anchor.
  6. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    A pull to the right means the front wheel is too far to the right, and needs to move left in respect to the hub. Using 1/4 turns of the spoke wrench, loosen all the spokes on the "from" side, then tighten all the spokes on the "to" side. Test ride, and repeat if condition still exists. This may take a half dozen or more iterations to get right, but doing it in small steps mitigates the possibility of putting the wheel out of true.

Doing this fixed my "right pull" issue; the bike now tracks straight as an arrow on level ground with hands off bars.
  7. The Breeze

Oddometer:
    Excellent:clap I'll try it and report back.
  8. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    If it was indeed the weight of the muffler (insignificant in the big scheme of things) then you would be leaning left to balance it and it would pull left, not right.

Regarding weight, every one likes to make these grand claims about weight savings by replacing a factory muffler. They do it ad infinitem on the husky forums for the 630 as well.

So let's say you drop 8lbs for one, or 15lbs for two (mufflers, the husky has two), and 4lbs by ditching the stock battery for a Shorai...so about 20-25lbs or so, right? So you have a 450lb pig instead of a 475lb pig, and then pile gear and racks and all that crap on it. Same for the husky, so you have a 310 bike instead of 330. Wow. And you only spent about $60 per lb to do that. Most guys will say the money is better spent on a gym membership and/or rider training. A GSA or a S10 are still another 100-150lbs. I wonder if they use the same logic... :D

Oh, and then you don a 7lb adventure jacket and put a 3L hydration pack on your back. Sheesh!!
  9. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    It's countersteering the bike ...

:deal
  10. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My klr did this pull to one side. The rear wheel wasn't tracking straight. Small adjustments to the rear end, ride and see, adjust again. I wouldn't touch the front spokes yet.
  11. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Total weight of stock is 5.89 kg
    Total weight of LeoVince Aluminium is 3.52
    Total weight of LeoVince Carbon (I have one! Yesss!) 3.17 kg

http://www.leovince.com/en/catalog-...i_passaggio_standard_tiger_800_i_e_2011/14229

http://www.leovince.com/en/catalog-...i_passaggio_standard_tiger_800_i_e_2011/14230

By no means stock muffler is too heavy comparing to most I handled in my experience. More to it - it is rather smart design with combined labyrinth/straight through combo. But bulky and noise not nice.
    But Leo is brilliant - sounds great, looks good and don't affect bike power negatively (according to dyno runs I saw). And it is VERY well made and not too expensive.
  12. frytown

frytown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To those that have experienced the pulling to the right:

Are you all sure it's not simply uneven tire wear? Fronts always wear more on the right than the left so, perhaps, after time, start pulling that way since the road to tread delta ends up being steeper.

Just a thought.

Oh, and the LV Carbon can feels quite a bit lighter than stock, but I don't think it qualifies as less than half. Maybe 2/3 the stock weight? Not sure since I didn't weigh it before putting it on.

I will say it improved bottom end grunt and sounds infinitely better....!
  13. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
  14. pilot3

pilot3 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So as much as I like this bike, I have been disappointed with the rear tail/brake light, mainly because it is not as bright as other bikes, specifically most Japanese bikes that use clusters of rear facing diodes. The Tiger uses side facing diodes in the light array which are then reflected rearward to illuminate from behind. Being LED, we cannot increase the brightness so what's a Tiger owner to do?

Here are the markers from behind on an overcast day-

[​IMG]

And now the brake lights-

[​IMG]

I searched out a waterproof LED array which has a pulse trigger lead (not cheap). Then with a bit more searching, I located the factory wiring plugs and, after a bit of wiring, built this--

[​IMG]

The black plugs are a direct match to the Triumph factory plugs, so all that is necessary is to unplug the rear light assembly, insert this in between, and plug them in.

The light is slim and narrow enough and fits just perfectly into the notch above the light assembly and below the rear rack. It is adhered in place with 3M dual side waterproof adhesive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The light array acts as a tail light just as the original does when it is powered on. When the brakes are applied, the light emits a brief series of pulses and then stays on bright. Let me just say, the brake lights are super bright, even in the sunlight.

Tail lights alone with LED array-

[​IMG]

And with the brake lights applied-

[​IMG]

Here is a video link to the application of the brakes. It is out of focus due to the flash and brightness of the LED's-

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JMFHymlgKX0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've though about making more should there be a demand, but at the very least I just wanted to share the light improvement.

Cheers,
    p3

***MOVED TO VENDORS***

There were requests for more of these so I started a thread in Vendors (thanks GB for the guidance). Please go there to ask your questions and place your orders.

Here is the Vendors link: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19943845#post19943845

p3
  15. motonut

motonut Old Guy

Oddometer:
    Very nice modification!

I too was not satisfied with my Tiger's rear lighting. I added an off the shelf, inexpensive and BRIGHT! LED tail/brake light and located it below the OEM light after lowering the license tag a bit. Overall, I'm totally happy with my mod but it ain't as purdy as yours!

Where did you source your plugs?:ear
  16. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Pilot 3, put me down for one if you decide to make some more:clap
  17. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    +1

I think you may have just discovered a market for your well-designed accessory.

It looks better and fits more nicely than hyper-lites or other current aftermarket solutions.
  18. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    +1 if the price is reasonable.
  19. NaDSoB

NaDSoB The garage is full.

Oddometer:

Great job!!!!
    I'm in, too! Hope you can deliver soon! :nod

Rob
  20. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    And if you decide not to make the light kit perhaps you could give us a list of suppliers and part numbers that you used so that we could make our own without having to source all the parts all over again.
    Thanks